Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Immortal horror fan

Urban Legend -

For some reason I thought this was going to be a real horror movie and not a comedy horror type like Scary Movie or Scream. I vaguely remember seeing the sequel a long time ago. I don't remember it being this light. Maybe I thought the original would be better because of the cast. I was wrong. This is the sort of movie that almost everyone just shows up to pick up a check. Robert Englund is in this too for a few quick moments. Maybe an excuse is since most of these actors were young back then it's acceptable. This was released in Dawson's Creek time I guess because Joshua Jackson's character has a radio reference to that show. Tara Reid looks different in this movie too. This is the kind of movie that in the end even though they are in a large campus area, everyone disappears except for the main characters. It's only watchable for Alicia Witt and even then that's no reason to watch a bad horror movie.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Urban Legend -

For some reason I thought this was going to be a real horror movie and not a comedy horror type like Scary Movie or Scream. I vaguely remember seeing the sequel a long time ago. I don't remember it being this light. Maybe I thought the original would be better because of the cast. I was wrong. This is the sort of movie that almost everyone just shows up to pick up a check. Robert Englund is in this too for a few quick moments. Maybe an excuse is since most of these actors were young back then it's acceptable. This was released in Dawson's Creek time I guess because Joshua Jackson's character has a radio reference to that show. Tara Reid looks different in this movie too. This is the kind of movie that in the end even though they are in a large campus area, everyone disappears except for the main characters. It's only watchable for Alicia Witt and even then that's no reason to watch a bad horror movie.
It had a ton of flaws but it was still a real horror movie IMO and not a comedy. There was nothing funny about this. It didnt pick fun at other horror movies and have a ton of slapstick. It was just badly made. Still there's worse slasher films i think.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
It had a ton of flaws but it was still a real horror movie IMO and not a comedy. There was nothing funny about this. It didnt pick fun at other horror movies and have a ton of slapstick. It was just badly made. Still there's worse slasher films i think.
There are worse horror movies. But when I mean real horror I mean serious. Not stuff played with humor.

SPOILERS!!!

To start you have the opening with the crazy gas attendant but it's obvious that someone will be in the truck. Then the Urban Legend jokes. Stuff like the coke and candy. Moving on to the death with the girl in the room and Alicia Witt's character not seeing it because of what happened last time. The rent-a-cop. Even though she's probably the best character in the movie. I remember her in the sequel too. If you use Halloween as the standard real horror movie. This isn't in that category.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
There are worse horror movies. But when I mean real horror I mean serious. Not stuff played with humor.

SPOILERS!!!

To start you have the opening with the crazy gas attendant but it's obvious that someone will be in the truck. Then the Urban Legend jokes. Stuff like the coke and candy. Moving on to the death with the girl in the room and Alicia Witt's character not seeing it because of what happened last time. The rent-a-cop. Even though she's probably the best character in the movie. I remember her in the sequel too. If you use Halloween as the standard real horror movie. This isn't in that category.
I never saw it as playing with humor. I think the movie was trying to be serious. Any humor you might have found I believe was unintentional. Those are flaws in the writing but certainly not attempts at humor. I really don't see how you can say it wasn't a horror movie. It might not have been a good one but its still horror. But hey that's just what I think.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
I never saw it as playing with humor. I think the movie was trying to be serious. Any humor you might have found I believe was unintentional. Those are flaws in the writing but certainly not attempts at humor. I really don't see how you can say it wasn't a horror movie. It might not have been a good one but its still horror. But hey that's just what I think.
It's horror. It's just not real horror like Halloween. It's light, 90s slasher horror with I guess unintentional humor. Like I found many parts of Scream humorous even though many see that as serious horror. And I like Scream.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
It's horror. It's just not real horror like Halloween. It's light, 90s slasher horror with I guess unintentional humor. Like I found many parts of Scream humorous even though many see that as serious horror. And I like Scream.
OK I misunderstood your meaning

Old 02-18-2014, 03:15 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Urban Legend -

For some reason I thought this was going to be a real horror movie and not a comedy horror type like Scary Movie or Scream. I vaguely remember seeing the sequel a long time ago. I don't remember it being this light.
I preferred the sequel because it was a lot darker in tone (same deal with Final Destination 2). Urban Legend was part of the whole Screamteen hangover of that era where most American horror was quite lightweight/fun. That era was touted as some kind of revitalization of the genre but in many ways it almost killed it. Ginger Snaps was one of the few films of that era I'd actually rate as a decent horror flick.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 AM
Misanthrope

Adult World

Thumb resize.

Emma Roberts' first decent role IMO. I thought this film was a really good coming of age drama with just the right amount of comedy. It's not going to be for everyone but if it looks like your kind of thing definitely check it out.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 AM
From The Beyond

The Devil's Rock (2011) Ok little occult horror, bit boring in parts but overall not bad.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Homefront--Statham doing his Statham thing...I enjoyed it

Force of Execution--bloated Seagal still doing his thing but Tae Kwon Do World Champion Bren Foster makes for a pretty good action star...if only he could act.

not that "acting" is that important for "action stars"

Tags
movie