Old 11-27-2020, 01:02 AM
Evil Dead

Lightbulb Shiva/Leatherface*

I've always been a fan ofShiva comics and Leatherface comics. Shiva is the Hindu god of destruction, and Leatherface is the iconic cult-favorite horror-film avatar/psycho from the popular Texas Chainsaw Massacre horror franchise.

Shiva and Leatherface make great complements or antecedents or even opposites, since they both represent destruction and metaphysical anarchy, even though Shiva wields his all-powerful destroyer-weapon, the mighty and ominous trident, while Leatherface wields his canonical murderous buzzing chainsaw, arguably a symbol of modern claustrophobia regarding industrialization and consumerism.

A poignant comics-friendly Shiva/Leatherface axis exploring how and why horror and destruction can be construed as ideological or even psychological illuminates arguably why such an axis would serve as a discussion-point for horror-comics fans interested in the 'magic' of modernism-oriented dioramic folk storytelling.

That's why this inventive horror-comics oriented Shiva-Leatherface short-story or vignette was made, to ask the question, "Is horror-art a thing of...design?"

What do you think?

Thanks for reading (and happy holidays),

====

SHIVA'S JOURNAL:

"My name is Shiva, as some of you may have guessed. I sit atop my snowy mountain as a meditating hermit, contemplating the nature of war and destruction and the controls behind conscious governance. I wield a mighty destroyer-weapon called the Trident. I think about the depth of destruction and the contours of chaos and anarchy and even crime and mayhem. I consider myself an 'avatar-cop' or messenger of controlling disintegration.

I've been studying the nature and design of the iconic American horror-film character Leatherface, the masked chainsaw-wielding maniac from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre horror-film series. Leatherface is a force of pure darkness and terror, a murderer who decapitates or gorges or de-limbs his human victims with his evil buzzing chainsaw, a mechanical symbol of new age industrialization paranoia and angst. Leatherface is the apocalyptic manslayer who brings death and destruction before his path.

One might wonder what would bring to conception the image or personage of a maniac such as the evil Leatherface! I mean, he's the ultimate manslayer, a thing of ugly destruction and bloody murder. He's the great anti-prophet of insanity and death. He reminds us that the nature of evil is in the scope and appearance of malice and mischief and rage. He's almost my opposite, since I focus on the governance ramifications of apocalyptic destruction, such as a cathartic great flood. I've been imagining a possible 'dialogue' with the albeit fictional yet demonic Leatherface, and this is what I came up with while meditating on my mountain.

SHIVA: Why're you such a maniac?
LEATHERFACE: Woo!!!
SHIVA: What comprises your adoration of your chainsaw?
SHIVA: Are you a messenger of meaningless death?
SHIVA: What makes you an anti-prophet?
LEATHERFACE: Darkness.
SHIVA: Why're you promoting mayhem through a weapon?
LEATHERFACE: Buzzing metal makes for good heat.
SHIVA: Heat?
LEATHERFACE: Murder is hot!
SHIVA: Are you an advocate of mercilessness?
SHIVA: Why do you insist on using a chainsaw?
LEATHERFACE: Buzz...buzz...buzz...buzz!
SHIVA: Are you advocating gibberish in the arena of anarchy?
LEATHERFACE: Yeah.
SHIVA: Why?
LEATHERFACE: Fear and pity are same.
SHIVA: How's that?
LEATHERFACE: Buzzing sounds bring sounds of sun.
SHIVA: Sunlight?
SHIVA: Why does the chainsaw remind you of light?
LEATHERFACE: Creature.
SHIVA: Are you a creature, Leatherface?
SHIVA: Why're you not a man?
LEATHERFACE: Man is dirt.
SHIVA: Dirt or dirty?
LEATHERFACE: Dirt!
SHIVA: Are you 'cleansing' the Earth with your chainsaw?
SHIVA: Why are you unique, Leatherface?
LEATHERFACE: Buzz...buzz...buzz...buzz.
SHIVA: Maybe you should be a barber or a meat-butcher!
LEATHERFACE: Why?
SHIVA: You'd make a great social performer.
LEATHERFACE: Art!!
SHIVA: Yes, Leatherface, art is the essence of dirt.
LEATHERFACE: We'll see!

End of journal-entry"

====

"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shiva34.jpg (22.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg shiva35.jpg (35.8 KB, 0 views)