Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 PM
CrashN2aWall

One think you have to think about is not just how much horror movies have changed and evolved, but also people in general as well. When a lot of the classics where made, they where breaking ground in a huge way. I remember hearing stories about the exorcist, and how people where running out of the theatre crying and getting sick. Like anything, after the first time it gets easier to except. Now a days, we are almost over-exposed to horror movies. Growing up, these where movies I had to sneak to see. Now its nothing for your 10 year old brother or cousin to be watching all kinds of blood and gore right on cable TV. Considering horror has become so much more mainstream, and the audiences have grown younger and younger, its generally going to take much more to move (scare) people. This is probably a horrible metaphor, but I would kind of compare it to drugs. Ideally you start off small and end up going big. That's how I see this generation when it comes to horror films (not speaking individually.)
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Little Boo

A film like Exorcist still stand up. But alot of that has to do with weather or not a person is religious/spiritual.

Never found Alien a scary film though it was a great film.

Something like Paranormal Activity has a classic feel so I would think people who like that would like something like Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Little Boo

Horror is relative

Horror is something that changes from person to person. It depends what scares you. We all know plenty of people who hated Paranormal Activity. It just depends.

I love the 60's - 80's horror. There is something there that you just don't get now.

Trevor1369
http://sinfulcelluloid.blogspot.com/
Retro Horror With A Modern Twist!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Evil Dead

I think it's a matter of taste and what you're used to. I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of modern horror and much of what many people love in modern horror, I don't get and vice versa. For example, I once watched SAW, which is considered by a lot of people today to be scary...I was bored with it. Whereas at university, I once was able to attend a lecture where they were screening Nosferatu and you could hear some of the students laughing, which annoyed me.

I think the environment's different today and it changed largely with the slasher boom and the cannibal films. These were films where gore was suddenly pushed to the forefront and a lot of horror these days seems very gore-focused, which isn't my thing.

I'm someone who's more into atmosphere, so films like Suspiria, The Beyond, Don't Look Now or Night Of The Living Dead (all different but each very atmospheric) are what I prefer
Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Evil Dead

I find that the younger audience have a very low attention span than they did in my day.There is simply too much choice for them to focus on one thing.

Take MTV for example,it is bombarded with hundreds and thousands of images and sound and all lasting about five minutes.

As for FX,i personally don't get that part.I watch horror for the sheer love of the genre,blood guts and gore is great but not the main reason i watch them.
But today's crowd seems to think that is what horror is,and also that the actors have to be young and sexy to be considered a part in horror,that part is what kills horror in my opinion.

Look at the real great horrors of old,none had young sexy teens in them,sure one or two but most were played by a more mature actor,which gave the movie more credibility.I don't watch a horror to see some blonde tart taking her kit off.If i want that there are many other choice of movies i could find.

And lastly,horror for me works best alone not with a crowd.The idea of being scared comes from the anticipation and atmosphere the movies generates,this can not be done with a crowd,were people are talking or eating their over sized buckets of popcorn.

Watch them alone with ALL lights out,now thats horror.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Smile you sonofabitch!

I remember when i first watched Psycho on tv when i was about 12 - and it all seemed very tame compared with the horrors i was able to rent from the video shop - Evil dead type films, etc.

Then years later when i watched Psycho again as an adult, i was captivated by the story, and it scared the hell out of me.

So i think a lot of it is if you have the patience to get into the story. Older films had a lot of story - where as the modern films for the MTV generation are all about super fast pacing and flashing images and gore.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Evil Dead

As a teen I can say that older horror movies most do not have the same effect they used to have on the people of that time. Horror movies that used to be shocking in the '40s are considered extremely tame nowadays. It is the fact that newer generations can't relate, but mainly I think it is that the envelope has been pushed way past that. With gorefests like Human Centipede and the like, how could Frankenstein hitting a person over the head be scary? Not that Human Centipede is all that scary, just more of envelope pushing controversy. I still receive great enjoyment from movies like Nosferatu, Dracula, The Exorcist, and I know other teens that have. They can be suspenseful and very entertaining, I just do not find good amount of them "scary". As an example I loved Halloween, and was filled with suspense and enjoyment as I watched it, but I don't fear that Michael Myers is going to come stab me to death. Hope I explained that without making it seem like I didn't like oldies, I usually prefer '80s movies.Tried to explain that as best as I could.

Last edited by Sentinel65; 09-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Horror Fan

Interesting, if somewhat depressing thread. I agree with the problem as stated by various posters already: young people identify gore with "scary" (and filmmakers can give it to them: is the MPAA still relevant?). As they become more de-sensitized to the depiction of violent death, appreciation of its more suspenseful expressions declines.

To make another, slightly clunky analogy: those who like horror today like the kill scenes best. This is like rushing through sex to get to the end. The process building up to it should be enjoyed just as much. Not to get all autobiographical. :cool:

Old 09-24-2012, 02:04 PM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
A good story with good characterization & atmosphere doesn't add that much value as they're very much immature as a film viewer, IMO.

I never give real gems of the genre to any of my "occasional genre fan" friends or cousins as I can guess or know what will be there response after seeing it and I couldn't take them as a rational human being and thus will lead us to a fight for sure!:D

This is frustrating but what I sometimes think can work for them is to give them some ideas about "How to watch & enjoy a Classic Film" tutorial. First of all, they need to respect & honor the film, its dvd disc/VHS & even thankful to you for the chance that you gave them to see that true classic. Then you can tell them about the success & influence the film still have on today's genre films. The best is to make them watch it with you. Then you can determine the factors or moments they find weak and clarify the viewpoints that differs from us. It's long, lengthy & boring process but as we know sometimes we need to take the matters into our own hands...:D

Couldn't agree more. I think most of the members of this website are fairly seasoned with horror. Most of us know the genre and what movies are most influential to the genre. That makes us already enjoy the classics even if we've never seen them. Also i think that we are just plain better at watching movies than most. We know how to watch them and what to look for. Whether it be camera work, atmosphere, score, supporting actors, etc. We know what to look for and can appreciate what we're seeing more so than just a casual horror fan who want the cheap mindless scare.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
There are ineffective old movies and ineffective new movies in the same way that there are still effective new movies and effective old movies. The genre isn't dead anymore, thank God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real