Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Evil Dead

General horror film reccomendations

I'm looking for recommendations based on a kind of theme, but i'm not quite sure what that theme is. Its embodied by specific favorite films of mine, so I figured I'd post a list and see if anyone can get this elusive theme in their head(even if you can't define it either) and offer recommendations.

Particular favorites I have in mind:
Unnameable
House I and II(the rest are a bit silly, but have a small special place in my heart)
The Descent
Poltergeist
Possession(1981)
Hellraiser I and II
Shock Waves
Event Horizon
From Beyond(Yes I've seen the Re-Animators)
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Pumpkinhead
God Told Me To
Prince of Darkness
Dagon

TY much for any suggestions.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 PM
mostly ghostly?

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63436

Here's a project we completed recently; recommendations through the entire history of horror cinema.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63436

Here's a project we completed recently; recommendations through the entire history of horror cinema.
I appreciate the link and I will check it out, but i'm looking more for help with films that fit with this hard to pinpoint, for me, theme described through the films I listed.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 PM
mostly ghostly?

The only theme I sense is a body horror/creature feature kind of thing. Maybe try
  • Island of Lost Souls (1932)
  • Cronenberg's horror work, like The Brood, Shivers, Rabid, Scanners, Naked Lunch
  • Basket Case (1982)
  • Cemetery Man
  • Dead Alive
  • Little Otik
  • Tetsuo, Iron Man
  • Nightbreed
Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Evil Dead

To me, it looks like the theme is the horror is very setting based. With those movies, much of horror derives from the place as opposed to a person or thing. But more specifically than just a spooky place, a place where our mundane reality and an otherworldly dimension intersect, forming a doorway between the two.

With that in mind, you might try haunted house movies, new ones like The Conjuring, Insidious, The Innkeeper, and Sinister, and classics like The Haunting ('63 version), The Changeling, The Shining, and The Legend of Hell House. I would especially recommend the Grave Encounters films, part 2 strongly features that element that I described above.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
The only theme I sense is a body horror/creature feature kind of thing. Maybe try
  • Island of Lost Souls (1932)
  • Cronenberg's horror work, like The Brood, Shivers, Rabid, Scanners, Naked Lunch
  • Basket Case (1982)
  • Cemetery Man
  • Dead Alive
  • Little Otik
  • Tetsuo, Iron Man
  • Nightbreed
I've seen most of those and they don't seem to fit the theme. I appreciate the suggestions though, I'll definitely check out Little Otik, and I forgot that I hadn't seen Rabid yet. Not so sure about Little Otik as I vaguely remember being bored by Alice.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
To me, it looks like the theme is the horror is very setting based. With those movies, much of horror derives from the place as opposed to a person or thing. But more specifically than just a spooky place, a place where our mundane reality and an otherworldly dimension intersect, forming a doorway between the two.

With that in mind, you might try haunted house movies, new ones like The Conjuring, Insidious, The Innkeeper, and Sinister, and classics like The Haunting ('63 version), The Changeling, The Shining, and The Legend of Hell House. I would especially recommend the Grave Encounters films, part 2 strongly features that element that I described above.
I've seen most of these. Insidious looked kinda meh, not much horror and more of a slow ghost story. Not that is necessarily bad, but not what i'm looking for. The Changeling sounds good, but again not the right theme. Which is my fault, I can't seem to pin point the right words.

Grave Encounters might fit, but it always looked to me like yet another found footage piece of predictable dullness. Is it really that good?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Little Boo

Send a message via Skype™ to Horror Nerd Girl
The House by the Cemetery?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Little Boo

Send a message via Skype™ to Horror Nerd Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
I've seen most of these. Insidious looked kinda meh, not much horror and more of a slow ghost story. Not that is necessarily bad, but not what i'm looking for. The Changeling sounds good, but again not the right theme. Which is my fault, I can't seem to pin point the right words.

Grave Encounters might fit, but it always looked to me like yet another found footage piece of predictable dullness. Is it really that good?
I liked Grave Encounters. At least, in the sense that it was tense and had me gripped the whole way through. It's generic stuff though.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Nerd Girl View Post
I liked Grave Encounters. At least, in the sense that it was tense and had me gripped the whole way through. It's generic stuff though.
Yes I enjoyed Grave Encounters myself; my favorite paranormal horror movie besides Poltergeist. Another one I highly enjoyed as much as Grave Encounters was Sinister.