Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
I'm with you. I dig musicals. I've been in musicals.

I'm also a gorehound and fan of dystopian future scifi stories, so this one had me primed from the get-go. But this film just fell flat for me.

The songs were really bad. Painfully, laughably bad. And the story? Ugh.

Everyone who gets gutted (and the gore is spectacular!!!) is a character who just appeard on screen at that moment to be killed. We never have a chance to feel any hint of fear because we don't care about the people being killed.

AND... it's a movie about a Repo Man who rips organs out of people and there isn't a single lead character with an organ in danger of being reposessed!:confused: :confused: :confused:

That's just bad story-telling

You should ALWAYS have your antagonist in direct conflict with your protagonist.

And every bit of connect-the-dots exposition was handled with TEXT on screen in those comic-book panels. TEXT ON SCREEN? You can't be more creative than that? That's lazy writing.

I really wanted to love this, but it was so poorly concieved that I ended up hating it.
Agreed. Of course, Mags' organs were up for repossession, but, quite frankly, they should have developed her character more and her relationship to Nathan and Shiloh. I thought that her character was interesting, but needed some SERIOUS fleshing out.

And you're right - There was DEFINITELY not enough conflict with the Repo Man.

And you're right about the songs; they WERE laughably bad. And the music too. I felt as though this was written for a seventeen-year-old, BY a seventeen-year-old. Seriously. The writing was so incredibly amateurish I could have done better in middle school (the song "Seventeen" in which Shiloh rebels was just... pedestrian).

I needed to sympathize with Shiloh, but I found her pathetic when she was supposed to be interesting and unbelievable when she was supposed to be rebelling. I would have either severely cut down her roll or pay attention to the rewrite.

And what's REALLY shocking is that the movie should - SHOULD have focused on our antagonists - The Rotti children. They should FASCINATE the audience. But instead their musical numbers were frenetic, short, and poorly-written.

My boyfriend brought up a good point, too - This play took itself too seriously - I would have been FINE with the over-the-top operatic drama if there was some tongue-in-cheek esoteric theatrical nods to it.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
So I guess what I'm trying to say is.....don't go on my word...but I watched this movie for 5 minutes and turned it off after the first song.
Thanks guys, it sounds to me like I'd do the same thing as Newb.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
I'm actually in the minority here, I really liked it. Not because it was just great, because it really wasn't....it had all kinds of problems (many that have been mentioned here, I agree the music and writing both were often very weak, I also REALLY didn't like some of the casting). But I would be lying if I didn't admit that I had an absolutely great time. For me, very flawed, but unique and fun despite it all.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 AM
phillu

I saw it yesterday.
Man this could've been a cult movie if they just had gotten some memorable songs in there. Just like Sweeny Todd.
The rest I really liked.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Living Dead

I thought it was great fun. Bought it on bluray.

You people need to ease up.Its a musical horror and meant to be fun,so why dont you tight asses loosen up and enjoy it for what it is.

People are just never pleased.

Last edited by Hilti88NYC; 02-22-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Zydrate Anatomy

First off, it's an opera and not a musical. There's a difference. A musical is a theatrical narrative with some singing and dancing. An opera is an art form where singers and musicians perform a dramatic work. Even the ending culminates in a traditional opera house to remind you of what you are experiencing, an-opera-within-an-opera. Repo has recitative sections for plot and aria sections to show emotion, and it even has a Greek Chorus (Graverobber). It also has both tragic and comedic elements similar to the style started in the Baroque period.

I know not all of the songs are perfect, but I don't think they are terrible. They are really all different as each one is it's own little art scene. They don't really transcend into one another the way a musical would. The storyboarding connects it together and I think updates the opera, otherwise you'd be looking at 3 hours instead of an 1 1/2hr like a traditional opera to get all that backstory. Also, the characters are as fleshed out as they needed be. This is not a regular narrative and they rules are just different.

Now, I know not everyone will like Repo, just because the subject and ambience of the film seem to give it an automatic cult status. It really applies to a very specific audience. You will either hate or love this movie, there really is no middle ground. I was lucky enough to see this in the theatre and it's a whole different experience. You really feel like you're in a opera house, much different than my tiny TV at home. I also really liked the cast, I thought they all did an amazing job.