Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Hellraiser

Talking Begotten

This is probably one of my favorite modern horror films. It's very surreal and beautifully maracbe. Anyone seen it?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:50 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Seen it. I wouldn't call it one of my favorites, but the style certainly is bewitching. And the opening sequence chilled me to my bones.

Check my review of it from "The Unsung, The Underappreciated and the Bizarre, The Other HDC Top 100" list in the general forum:

Begotten (1991)

You won’t like this film. Don’t even try to watch it. There is no dialog and there are no title cards. It’s shot in a grainy black and white. The story? That’s anyone’s guess. The effect? Skin crawling terror. Still interested? The film looks and feels old – not silent film old, but Dead Sea Scrolls old. It all revolves around the birth and subjugation of a human-like god-thing…at least that’s what I’m told. What makes this film so maddening and terrifying is how director E. Elias Merhige (Shadow of the Vampire) shoots the film in such an overly-distressed manner that you’re never quite sure what you’re seeing. This combined with a stunning sound design and the most transgressive acting style I’ve ever witnessed makes this film unnerving to watch. It took me several attempts to get past the first 10 minutes and I had nightmares for weeks. Because there is no real text of which to speak, the film attacks your subconscious, digging up whatever darkness your imagination can render. Like I said, you won’t like this film. Don’t even try to watch it. - Roderick Usher

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon

Last edited by Roderick Usher; 08-09-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:26 AM
No, fuck YOU

I watched it. Didn't like it.

You were too late, Rod!!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
9-Jack-9

Without a doubt one of the most original and painstakingly crafted "art horror" films around. On a level with Eraserhead in that regard. Also an excellent example of a movie in which the score amplifies the terror even moreso than the visuals. But I don't know that it's worth rewatching, unfortunately. A one-time experience that is worth viewing but that you probably won't return to any time soon. Sort of like Decasia.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Evil Dead

Gives me the chills on a level that has never been touched before.