Old 03-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Groovy

Crap fingers

Does anyone else think that, in general, creature fingers are crap in horror films. For example, the first Predator film - one of the all-time great creatures, but when you see it pressing the self-destuct on its arm pad, the fingers are crap!

It's always the same when you see a creature trying to grip something as well - if it's got extended fingers, they just kind of hang over the end of things.

It's no surprise really. It must be one of the most difficult effects to get right. One of those rare occasions where I think CGI would work better than the real thing.

Can anyone think of any creatures that actually have good 'alien' hands? (Not CGI, I mean) I'm struggling...
Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Evil Dead

Well, I first off and going to say that I agree with you on how it looks bad.

Second, I'd like to point out that if your hand were that long, it would be difficult to pick up something and close your hand around something like say, a cola can. Your fingers would ram into your wrists and if you have sharp claws, that would be quite painful.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:07 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Congratulations! You have created one of the funniest, and truest, threads I have ever seen. This is a pretty amusing topic.

For those of us that enjoy close-ups of hands, but from another zone of entertainment, check out Gerry Anderson's THUNDERBIRDS TV show, which had puppets as its "actors" for the most part.........but cut to close-ups of real human hands because the puppets' hands were not mechanical or detailed enough to pull off most close-up actions. This intercutting has a weird mind-stretching effect.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 03-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Zydrate Anatomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash's_evil_hand View Post
Does anyone else think that, in general, creature fingers are crap in horror films. For example, the first Predator film - one of the all-time great creatures, but when you see it pressing the self-destuct on its arm pad, the fingers are crap!

It's always the same when you see a creature trying to grip something as well - if it's got extended fingers, they just kind of hang over the end of things.

It's no surprise really. It must be one of the most difficult effects to get right. One of those rare occasions where I think CGI would work better than the real thing.

Can anyone think of any creatures that actually have good 'alien' hands? (Not CGI, I mean) I'm struggling...
LOL! I always think that when I watch Predator too. It ruins the scene for me everytime.

I can't think of any creature movies where they have good hands except maybe Pan's Labyrinth, the creature effects were really good in that.

The feet are sometimes just as bad as the hands because they're trying to make them seem bigger and it just looks like they're wearing clawed slippers just like pink bunny slippers or any other slipper with stupid animals heads on them.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Evil Dead

this is by far the best and funniest thread yet. i have to tell you that i have touched on this subject before. i tried to start a thread on who would win between the titans of puppetry: chuckie v's E.T.
mostly i got slagged off for starting a crap thread but i did conclude that E.T.'s chances would be hampered by his crazy hands and that furthermore there would be no way of constructing a vessel capable of space travel with said hands; an obvious lack of dexterity bordering on a severe physical handicap would deter me from allowing him to attempt a tree house nevermind a fucking spaceship.
what about jabba the hutt's jazz band? don't tell me they weren't miming. but then again, they do say a mime is a terrible thing to waste! nice one ash.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss tony View Post
this is by far the best and funniest thread yet. i have to tell you that i have touched on this subject before. i tried to start a thread on who would win between the titans of puppetry: chuckie v's E.T.
mostly i got slagged off for starting a crap thread but i did conclude that E.T.'s chances would be hampered by his crazy hands and that furthermore there would be no way of constructing a vessel capable of space travel with said hands; an obvious lack of dexterity bordering on a severe physical handicap would deter me from allowing him to attempt a tree house nevermind a fucking spaceship.
what about jabba the hutt's jazz band? don't tell me they weren't miming. but then again, they do say a mime is a terrible thing to waste! nice one ash.
Good point about ET (no pun intended!). Those fingers were about good enough to stick in a termite hill and pull out termites to eat. Not too far up the evolutionary scale, there!

I assume Chucky won, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Congratulations! You have created one of the funniest, and truest, threads I have ever seen. This is a pretty amusing topic.

For those of us that enjoy close-ups of hands, but from another zone of entertainment, check out Gerry Anderson's THUNDERBIRDS TV show, which had puppets as its "actors" for the most part.........but cut to close-ups of real human hands because the puppets' hands were not mechanical or detailed enough to pull off most close-up actions. This intercutting has a weird mind-stretching effect.
Now that I'll have to check out. I must admit, I never gave Thunderbirds a fair chance really.

Oh, just thought of another monster with crap fingers. Not horror related, but one of the Babylon 5 episodes called 'Grey 17 is missing' (oh I'm such an anorak) - horror connection is, this episode has Robert Englund as a guest star. Anyway, a few people are trapped in part of the space station, trying to escape, and they find out that there's this creature there that's one of the most dangerous living things in the galaxy.

Crap, crap fingers. It's about as scary as milk. And they end up shooting it - just normal bullets. Terrifying, eh? (Though I am a big fan of B5, that episode was terrible.)