Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-28-2011, 09:41 AM
I love you, seriously

Lightbulb The Shining 2 - Dr. Sleep

The genius Stephen King is at it again with the Sequel to the Shining ! And it sounds amazing.

The plot apparently involves "a traveling group of [psychic] vampires called The Tribe."

I like the original title better when it was called "Twilight".

http://movies.ign.com/articles/119/1196956p1.html

Last edited by Kasper; 09-28-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Evil is Better

So it's not really a sequel, it just has a character from it.

The psychic vampire thing sounds a little off for King though.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
whatever gets you through

Noooooooo Noooooo
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 AM
M Harding-Gregory

How is that anything to do with The Shining
Old 10-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to Pariah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
The psychic vampire thing sounds a little off for King though.
I'm going to assume that it refers to Physic Vampirism as opposed to Vampires that just happen to be physic. Then I'm going to pray for that to be true. I'm going to pray hard. Because I need a good new horror movie with an intelligent and engaging plot like you wouldn't believe.
Did I solicit thee from darkness to promote me?
To dream as you but of one dream--to love, to be loved.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah. View Post
I'm going to assume that it refers to Physic Vampirism as opposed to Vampires that just happen to be physic. Then I'm going to pray for that to be true. I'm going to pray hard. Because I need a good new horror movie with an intelligent and engaging plot like you wouldn't believe.
Whats the difference? People that just think they're vampires? I don't think that's what its going to be be because it says that the kid from The Shining (I forget his name) would be in it and you would find out what happened to him. He was psychic in a sense so obviously he gets turned into one of the vampires.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to Pariah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Whats the difference? People that just think they're vampires? I don't think that's what its going to be be because it says that the kid from The Shining (I forget his name) would be in it and you would find out what happened to him. He was psychic in a sense so obviously he gets turned into one of the vampires.
Physic Vampirism is when you drain the psychic/mental energies from people to fuel your own Psychic abilities. For instance, stealing someones memories, or inducing insanity in others either to fuel and/or by using your own psychic abilities.

I think thats the best way I can describe it. It actually has nothing to do with "Vampirism" it is more of a reference to the Parasitic Nature of the Abilities.

Someone who gains power because a lot of people are scared of them is a good example of a Psychic Vampire.
Did I solicit thee from darkness to promote me?
To dream as you but of one dream--to love, to be loved.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah. View Post
Physic Vampirism is when you drain the psychic/mental energies from people to fuel your own Psychic abilities. For instance, stealing someones memories, or inducing insanity in others either to fuel and/or by using your own psychic abilities.

I think thats the best way I can describe it. It actually has nothing to do with "Vampirism" it is more of a reference to the Parasitic Nature of the Abilities.

Someone who gains power because a lot of people are scared of them is a good example of a Psychic Vampire.
Oh you know i've actually heard about that. I used to say my friend was one because we would all hang out and he would suddenly get energized and happy while we would all suddenly feel drained lol. That would be pretty interesting. But i dont think enough people are aware of that term and putting vampire in the name is just going to make people think of the traditional kind of vampires especially when he's written a vampire novel before.

It would be interesting though.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 AM
Cranky

So much negativity about King writing a sequel to one of his most popular books... I don't get it. The latest book I read by King, his writing had really matured, and at the same time he had returned to his early glory, of telling an engaging, frightening story economically.

I don't see why King writing about vampires (psychic or otherwise) would be "off" for him- one of his most popular novels is a vampire story.

And, since it's about one of the main characters from The Shining- how is it NOT a sequel?

And, as this story is about a book, I'm moving it from the upcoming film section to the book section.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff

Last edited by neverending; 10-06-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Everytime I hear about this book, somebody mistakes psychic vampires for regular vampires. Psychic vampires are kind of an untouched monstrosity.