Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceybethh View Post
Just saw this one the other day. Definitely into it.
Me too, I caught it on Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I definitely recommend:
  • Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I LOVED Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I really felt the emotions and I thought the CG was fantastic!

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-30-2014 at 02:57 AM. Reason: back-to-back posts. Please use the "EDIT"/"MULTI" button if posting within 30 minutes.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceybethh View Post
Just saw this one the other day. Definitely into it.
Me too. I had been waiting a while to see this, and was so stoked to see it show up on Netflix. The story was perhaps a bit simpler than I had expected, but the key scenes were definitely effective. Plus, Joe Swanberg is way less creepy in movies he doesn't direct.

7/10

Last edited by Giganticface; 09-27-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added rating
Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 PM
HDC Idol

Her (2013)

I'm going to have a hard time writing about this movie because I don't think that I could possibly do it justice.

In short: This is a perfect, beautiful little movie about love and technology and relationships... Relationships between two people... And our cultural relationship with technology... A non-dystopic near future that is beautiful and transhuman...

So many things to love about this movie - The writing, the warm glow of the direction, the characters - Acting by Joaquin, Scarlet, Amy Adams... The costumes, the world-building, the beautiful and melancholy music - I just loved, loved, loved this movie...

I also loved how it touched on technology - We're in the near-future but it's not a dirty dystopia - Sure, we're still plugged into our devices, but it's not about how technology is taking over - It's about our relationship with technology (both literally and figuratively in the movie) and it also explores the philosophy of AI & Turing... Touched on some very interesting science fiction themes and has a very well-done conversation with the audience...

I know that was a really mushy review but honestly, I loved loved loved this movie - I definitely recommend it, especially for science fiction-lovers who were intrigued by its premise.

5/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:41 AM
For Vendetta

Give it a spin.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:57 AM
Evil Dead

I'm not gonna put really well-known movies because chances are, most people here have seen them. I think all of them are available on Netflix.

Exam - A really intense and unpredictable thriller about 8 people locked in a room who are trying to find the answer to a question they don't know in order to get a prestigious job. The scope is limited to just the one room, and a lot of the thrills come from the dialogue and characters' interactions. It's of my favorite thrillers.

The Den - Probably one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, which might be because it hits so close to home in my generation. The Den takes place entirely on a laptop, and it's about a woman who witnesses a murder on a chat roulette site. It goes off the deep end a little bit at the end, but it's still a really effective and memorable movie.

Absentia - This one is directed by Mike Flanagan, who directed Oculus, so if you liked that, you'll probably like Absentia. It's about a widow whose husband went missing 9 years ago, and he suddenly comes back, claiming that a monster in a nearby tunnel is responsible for his absence. Absentia is a good example of what's come to be known as "quiet horror", where not much really happens, but the dark themes make up most of the scares.

Pontypool - A zombie movie with a really bizarre twist. Pontypool isn't particularly scary, but it's definitely original and quiet intense. This takes place entirely inside a radio station, so a lot of the action is only heard over a speaker and not actually shown in the movie until the last act. It starts out very slowly, but you definitely want to stick out the first half. The movie takes a 180 and becomes really intense very quickly, so the slow start is worth it.

Grand Piano - Out of all of Elijah Wood's movies (except Lord of the Rings, obviously), this is my favorite of his. Grand Piano is about a famous pianist who has to play a nearly impossible piece without messing up or else he'll get shot in front of a huge audience. You're going to have to suspend your disbelief quite a few times throughout, so if you're looking for realism, skip this one. Grand Piano is perfectly over-the-top while not being too campy. It's suspenseful, unpredictable, and really fun to watch.

Last edited by horcrux2007; 06-07-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Evil Sweat

Check this one out if you like crude humour, violence and zombie action.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Evil Sweat

Let Us Prey (2014)
Thought I'd recommend this one since it appears few people have seen it.
I thought is was quite special and original.
If you don't know what to watch, give it a go.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:37 AM
病気の

Charlies Farm

Old 08-14-2015, 07:37 AM
GeorgiaMagpie

Wow amazing list!

I can't believe how many recommendations you have put there and there are loads I haven't seen can't wait to check out trailers for then thanks xx
Old 11-16-2015, 03:21 AM
black hole digger

let me say

Atticus Institute

a masterpiece