Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Evil Dead

I am a sucker for every horror movie that comes out, I have to see it just in case it's good... I am having terrible luck with the PG-13 ones though. I liked The Ring, but hated so many others... Like Grudge, Boogyman, Darkness Falls, They, White Noise...and many more.

Yet it never fails, I still feel like I have to see them... Next will probably be Dark Water.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Living Dead

I don't think it's the rating, i think it's how they execute it. I like a lot of the pg-13 japanese ghost horror movies. But I hate the american pg-13 movies. If it's a slasher pg-13 flick, it probably won't work. On the other hand, if it's a pg-13 psycholgical thriller it might be good.
2:Wait Until Dark(1967)
3:Texas Chainsaw Massacre(1974)
4:The Shining(1980)
5:Psycho(1960)
6:Misery(1990)
7.:Suspiria(1977)
8:Halloween(1978)
9.:Ju-on: The Grudge(2003)
10.:The Eye(2002)
Old 01-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
yellow jacket, you should try the unrated version of cursed. its twice as gory and its better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 01-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Evil Dead

I agree, some are good, some aren't, but I hope it's the end of PG13 horror!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Dead Whore

From Hell is a steaming pile of shit. I've read plenty on ole Jack, and I own Alan Moore's graphic novel From Hell, which the movie is supposed to be based on, and it is a damn good read. The problem is that the two brothers who directed/produced the flick decided to do their own thing. For one, Inspector Aberline was a middleaged, short, non-attractive fat man who was married. The whole plotline of him loving the prostitute is shear fantasy. he never dabbled in opium, and most of his character as played by Depp in the film has nothing to do with the historical person, or the graphic novel that the film is supposedly based on. I know Aberline wouldn't have been a good leading man as he historically was, but come on, how do you think his relatives think?

Also, the graphic novel was completely told from the viewpoint of Jack The Ripper, which gave the whole thing a very good feel. The movie would have been much more interesting that way, but we all know that hollywood would never take a chance on making the movie how it should have been.

Most of the movie was taken up by the love story the moviemakers stuffed into the story and not much of history, or the graphic novel remain. Hell, even the ending, with Jack's big psychotic speel to Aberline was fucked up.

I went to see this flick in theaters, as a fan of the graphic novel and hated it. But to be fair, I rented it when it came out, and gave it a second chance. Final verdict?.......It completely sucks balls. :mad:

Edit: I forgot to mention, Aberline was well respected as an investigator, yet in this flick, everybody sees him as a crack because the film portrays him as an opium fiend who has visions that help him solve cases.

Last edited by Taom; 01-07-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Your funeral... my trial

Taom, you are correct about From Hell. I didn't hate it quite as much as you seem to, but it really is very weak in comparison to Alan Moore's comic.

Anyway, the actual rating of a movie means very little to me. One of my favorite horror movies, The Haunting, contains very little violence, no foul language that I can recall, and is still scary as hell. If it was released today unchanged, I couldn't see it getting anything more than a PG rating. I do enjoy a gore fest as much as the next guy, but it's not the be all end all of horror.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Avenger

Send a message via AIM to XFeaRX
Re: PG-13 Horrors

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket
Damn, am I getting bored of these typical PG-13 piles of crap that have been released this past two years. Horrors, in my opinion, should never be PG-13. It's just a bunch of bullshit. Mostly all PG-13 horrors suck (AVP, Darkness Falls, and Boogeyman aside.) Whatever happened to horrors not being afraid to take it to the next level with their R ratings say "Screw You, Hollywood! We're making our own damn flicks!"? Now, it's like these horror directors are a bit intimidated by Hollywood. Like they don't want to piss off Hollywood and the MPAA. Hell, even Wes Craven is giving us PG-13 horrors that are crap (Cursed comes to mind.) So, whatever happened to the brave horror directors? The only ones out there are Rob Zombie, George A. Romero, John Carpenter, and a few others. So, what are your opinions on these PG-13 horrors?
Rob Zombie often gets shat on for his intentions to carry on the '"Screw You, Hollywood! We're making our own damn flicks!"? ' ways by critics. It is a real shame.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:57 AM
Dead Whore

I suppose I should toss in my thoughts on the actual topic, since my last post was basically a rant against one flick.

Personally, I don't mind a pg-13 rating, as long as it delivers the goods. As you guys have already stated, there are both good and bad pg-13, and in turn also both good and bad rated r flicks.
I do tend to prefer the higher rating though, as alot of the hollywood crop of pg-13 movies hardly live up to expectations.

Then again, hollywood put out alot of r rated teen slashers in the nineties, and those mostly sucked balls.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Evil Dead

There are pretty good PG-13 rated horror movies, but most of them suck. That's why many people think PG-13 rated movies are bad.

http://home.graffiti.net/liebesspiel:graffiti.net/
Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 AM
sk8boarder

There are some good PG-13 movies.
Like The Ring 1 & 2 , Grudge and The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
I do think that PG-13 movies are a little lame and the standard
for PG-13 is set too high and should be lowered.