Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2005, 09:13 AM
I'M 37!!!

PG-13 Horrors

Damn, am I getting bored of these typical PG-13 piles of crap that have been released this past two years. Horrors, in my opinion, should never be PG-13. It's just a bunch of bullshit. Mostly all PG-13 horrors suck (AVP, Darkness Falls, and Boogeyman aside.) Whatever happened to horrors not being afraid to take it to the next level with their R ratings say "Screw You, Hollywood! We're making our own damn flicks!"? Now, it's like these horror directors are a bit intimidated by Hollywood. Like they don't want to piss off Hollywood and the MPAA. Hell, even Wes Craven is giving us PG-13 horrors that are crap (Cursed comes to mind.) So, whatever happened to the brave horror directors? The only ones out there are Rob Zombie, George A. Romero, John Carpenter, and a few others. So, what are your opinions on these PG-13 horrors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretchucker View Post
It's not rape if you shout suprise!
Old 07-07-2005, 09:34 AM
The Dork Knight

Some are good some aren't, I don't care what the rating is as long as it's good. I'm not really into seeing a bucket of blood thrown into every other scene so if it's not that gorey I don't mind the only thing I'm looking for is a good movie no matter how much or how little of something is involved(gore,nudity ect.)

To say the person that made Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes isn't a brave director is a bit of an exaggeration imo, sometimes the studio has more say than the director which I hate but also understand since they pay for everything. Craven can get just as sick as any horror director out there so it's my belief that if he was given full creative power that Cursed would've been a much better film or at the very least not some kiddy WB shit it turned out to be.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 AM
I'M 37!!!

Quote:
originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
Some are good some aren't, I don't care what the rating is as long as it's good. I'm not really into seeing a bucket of blood thrown into every other scene so if it's not that gorey I don't mind the only thing I'm looking for is a good movie no matter how much or how little of something is involved(gore,nudity ect.)
I feel the same way u do. I just feel that alot of PG-13 movies could be better. Too many of them feel like the same rehashed story if u ask me. But, that could just be me.

Quote:
To say the person that made Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes isn't a brave director is a bit of an exaggeration imo, sometimes the studio has more say than the director which I hate but also understand since they pay for everything. Craven
Good point! I forgot about that. Sorry!

Quote:
Old 07-07-2005, 02:52 PM
darknessprevail

Thumbs up

Yea, I know. The only thing that the PG-13 movies have is mild language for the tiny tots. By the way I like your May avator :D
Old 07-07-2005, 04:55 PM
I'M 37!!!

Quote:
originally posted by darknessprevail
By the way I like your May avator
Thanks!:D

Quote:
Old 07-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Image of the Invisible

Send a message via AIM to ItsAlive75
It goes both ways. There's a lot of shitty R rated movies out there too (Alone in the Dark).

The Ring and The Grudge were pretty good, Boogeyman sucked.

Goes both ways.

DEVESTED- The removal of one's vest.

SCTUPP- To deficate on a woman after nonconsensual sex.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally posted by ItsAlive75
It goes both ways. There's a lot of shitty R rated movies out there too (Alone in the Dark).

The Ring and The Grudge were pretty good, Boogeyman sucked.

Goes both ways.
I agree, a horror movie does not have to have an R rating to be a decent horror film. And there are many R rated films that aren't any riskier or in general, any better than the PG-13 films. I wasn't pleased with The Ring because my expectations were too high, but I enjoyed The Grudge and think it is better than several horror films of the last few years.

I am however extremely tired of studios interfering with a director's creative vision and exerting control over how far they are allowed to go. That bugs me. Craven should have been allowed to make the movie he wanted; and I am certain it would have been far more successful for everyone involved.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Image of the Invisible

Quote:
Originally posted by jenna26

I am however extremely tired of studios interfering with a director's creative vision and exerting control over how far they are allowed to go. That bugs me.
I know how you feel. That's what killed two of my favorite childhood loves... Ren & Stimpy and Calvin & Hobbes

But unless you're making an independent movie, there's really no other choice. It's either make your vision without funding or marketing (thereby all but negating your chances of getting your work seen) or do what "the man" tells you and get your work seen... and make money.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Undead

Poltergeist was pg nuff said. Ok i lied not nuff said. Theres always a chance in a good pg-13 horror movie. I really dont go by ratings but NR is the best.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Image of the Invisible

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnaghi
I really dont go by ratings but NR is the best.
Y'know what I hate now? Is those "unrated" DVD's, with maybe about 10 extra minutes of footage.

Sorry, the NR rating made me think of it.