Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies

Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon View Post
What I would really love to see one day would be a GOOD adaption of "The Colour Out of Space"! :cool:
Me too, but I think it would only work in an anthology. Why haven't we seen a director do an entire Lovecraft anthology movie, or is their one?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
Me too, but I think it would only work in an anthology. Why haven't we seen a director do an entire Lovecraft anthology movie, or is their one?
Hmm, I don't think so - I'm surprised by the lack of Lovecraft movies in general (and not just movies inspired by him), but on the other hand I can see how his stories are probably pretty hard to recreate for a movie. One of the reasons why his stories work so well is that he gives you JUST enough info to create your own images in your mind. He really knew how to trigger your own imagination, and that's why I think any Lovecraft movie will always be disappointing at some level. No one can ever make something that lives up to the images your own mind has created for you.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
I thought Colour from the Dark wasn't bad (though I think I am in a minority on this) - also Die Farbe is worth checking out...

As for Lovecraft anthology - you can try Necronomican, though its really just inspired by HP's stories.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon View Post
Hmm, I don't think so - I'm surprised by the lack of Lovecraft movies in general (and not just movies inspired by him), but on the other hand I can see how his stories are probably pretty hard to recreate for a movie. One of the reasons why his stories work so well is that he gives you JUST enough info to create your own images in your mind. He really knew how to trigger your own imagination, and that's why I think any Lovecraft movie will always be disappointing at some level. No one can ever make something that lives up to the images your own mind has created for you.
I think in anthology form, Lovecraft would work very well, something similar to the Amicus Production films like The House that Dripped Blood, Asylum, and Tales from the Crypt, only more modern with better special effects. I don't want to see a ton of CGI though, a little is fine if it's well done.

Last edited by Bob Gray; 07-11-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Demon from Ago

Forgot about Necronomicon, thanks Ferox.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Forgot about Necronomicon, thanks Ferox.
Oops, I did too... and it's a good movie :o
Old 07-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Cranky

There's a whole world of independently produced Lovecraftian cinema out there, from shorts to features. I'm fortunate to live in a city that hosts an annual Lovecraft festival, so I've seen quite a few. Most of them never even get released, and can only be seen via film festivals, conventions and the like.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
There's a whole world of independently produced Lovecraftian cinema out there, from shorts to features. I'm fortunate to live in a city that hosts an annual Lovecraft festival, so I've seen quite a few. Most of them never even get released, and can only be seen via film festivals, conventions and the like.
Right, I knew that there were several shorts but I want a big screen release of a Lovecraft anthology. I'm still steaming mad about AtMoM not getting the green light.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Cranky

Even though Lovecraft is more popular today than he's ever been, he's still a niche writer. The world at large knows little of Lovecraft, so mass-market, general release films adapted from his work are a hard sell.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I have a 5 DVD set of some of those shorts, some of them are really well done.