Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Little Boo

looking for demons, portals, other planes

I guess I am just looking for a horror book about stuff like demons, portals, and other worlds. Is there anything good like that? I would try other mediums besides books as well, but I am kind of half expecting to not find what I am looking for in any form.

Last edited by sam gray; 09-14-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:14 AM
From The Beyond

You should try Clive Barker's Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, Everville and Imajica-amazing world's of horror explored in those.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 PM
HDC Idol

Yeah, my first reaction to this thread is definitely read Clive Barker.

H.P. Lovecraft will probably whet your whistle as well.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Horror Fan

Thumbs up

Lovecraft's novella, "The Shadow Out of Time."
Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Demon from Ago

Don't forget Arthur Machen, much of Stephen King's stuff takes place on different planes, Brian Lumley has some Cthulhu Mythos stories and some stories about demons, Ramsey Campbell, August Derleth, Frank Belknap Long, L.H. Maynard & M.P.N. Sims has a demon story or two.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Little Boo

I knew I should have mentioned what authors I have liked and didn't like. Sorry for that. I don't really like Stephen King because I don't like his characters. I think they are often cowards that create worse situations because they are afraid to do anything about bad situations. I did read half of the Great and Secret show, and I didn't like it enough to finish it. I forgot why though, but I know I had enough aversion toward it to not want to try any more Clive Barker. I have read a lot of Lovecraft, and I like his stories a lot more. I think the reason why I like Lovecraft so much is because I feel that in his stories the horror of the story is woven into the fabric of his world and is not just a result of characters that make bad decisions. That is not to say though that I do not like character plots. I just loose interest in characters that seem... (forgive me, but) stupid. I liked Anne Rice's first two vampire books a lot. Both are character driven stories. I've read the Tomas Harris, Hannibal books. I liked the stories of those well enough, but I felt Harris was often not very clear in his storytelling.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I hope this might help more.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Little Boo

It came from under the ice...

Or did it?
Check out Dream Reaper: ( http://dharma6.com/html/dream_reaper.html )
Set in a remote Alaskan village, the main character disturbs the wreckage of an old river boat and regrets it big time! Alaska is a truly haunting place, where the boundaries between this world and the next seem to thin out...and sometimes things cross over. This book is about an ancient entity that the Eskimos believe in, and fear. It prowls at the edge of a storm and haunts you at the edge of sleep. The creepy thing is that it has been reported in every culture throughout human history.

Read Dream Reaper!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
SHADOWMASTER

Hi Sam. A really great read involving portals, demons, witches and the like, is "PREY by Graham Masterson. The story takes place on the Isle of White, UK, and a house called "Forty Foot House". It is an extremely strange and creepily weird place where all is not as it seems, involving time travel to distant past and distant future and everywhere in between. The only thing I'll say about it is, that the secret is in the way the roof is constructed. I guarantee you'll enjoy it.
Your Servant,
Randall.