Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

And the "foreign horror for U.S. audiences" is usually not up to par with the original ....case in point "The Vanishing"

although I didn't hate "The Grudge" or "Let Me In"
Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Sometimes dead is better

The Grudge was pretty good. I also greatly enjoyed The Ring (2002), despite not seeing Ringu (1998).
Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Evil Dead

I think The Crazies(2010) and The Thing(1982) were better than their predecessors.

Some other good remakes not surpassing the originals are TCM (2003), The Omen(2006), and Fright Night (2011).

Old 03-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfangirl66 View Post
I think The Crazies(2010) and The Thing(1982) were better than their predecessors.

Some other good remakes not surpassing the originals are TCM (2003), The Omen(2006), and Fright Night (2011).
I agree with you on The Crazies (Like i said before) but The Thing From Another World is a classic and i wouldn't say that the remake was better. However the remake was also fantastic. When it comes to those two, i'm not sure which i like better. I like them both in different ways.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Sometimes dead is better

I also greatly enjoyed Thirteen Ghosts (2001). I was surprised by how many people hated that movie because I acctually thought the story and acting were great. Additionally, I thought the special effects were brilliant. Despite all the good aspects of the film, it only holds like a %12 apporoval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I find that highly unusual. I realize the original was a great film by William Castle, but the remake was still really high-quality in my opinion (despite negative reaction).

Last edited by metternich1815; 03-29-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:33 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
My favorite remake:
ROFL! Who dares to solve this fill in the blank?:D
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Couldn't pick my favorite between The Fly and The Thing but they're the top two, I also dug the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Night of the Living Dead (Savini's), and The Blob remakes.
Ditto, loved them all too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
I consider reimaginings to be a type of remake. These are the four types of remakes: reimaginings (such as The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, and Thirteen Ghosts remakes), modernization (such as Black Christmas, The Fog, and Psycho remakes), encapsulations (such as Friday the 13th, Halloween, and A Nightmare on Elm Street remakes), and foreign horror for U.S. audiences (such as The Ring and the Grudge). My source is the book Horror Movie Freak. Even if you don't agree with the book, I think these are good classifications for horror movie remakes. As for the Psycho remake, it was perhaps the worst horror movie remake in horror movie history.
That's pretty fine classification. I guess, my favorite TCM (2003) may fall into either 're-imagining' or 'encapsulation' category.

Btw, the recent re-imagining of Mother's Day also wasn't bad.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
I also greatly enjoyed Thirteen Ghosts (2001). I was surprised by how many people hated that movie because I acctually thought the story and acting were great. Additionally, I thought the special effects were brilliant. Despite all the good aspects of the film, it only holds like a %12 apporoval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I find that highly unusual. I realize the original was a great film by William Castle, but the remake was still really high-quality in my opinion (despite negative reaction).
My problem with that movie was it could've been a lot better, instead it turned out kinda lame.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I agree with you! I really liked this film too. I thought the monsters were creepy and the effects were great.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
ROFL! Who dares to solve this fill in the blank?:D