Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Whip In My Valise

3D, Sensurround, and Percepto

As an avid movie fan, I find this recent 3D, CGI trend quite tiresome. When it comes down to it, I prefer to see real actors in front of real scenery and not have to wear silly glasses and pay extra money just to see something in 3D. I hope this trend is nipped in the bud before it takes over the entire film industry. I was so relieved when Avatar lost the Best Picture Oscar to The Hurt Locker (I would've preferred District 9 or Inglourious Basterds to have won, but at least that Oscar didn't go to Avatar). Hopefully, that is a sign that people, by and large, still prefer their films less gimmicky.

Having said that, recent technology could still produce some films that are a lot of fun (though not Oscar-worthy); and I started thinking about a couple of gimmicks that maybe should be resurrected; Sensurround and Percepto.

Sensurround was most famous for being used in theaters showing the film Earthquake, and the name says it all. The sound made you feel as if you were experiencing the earthquake yourself. There were some problems with the technology at the time, but I'm sure after 35 years of technological advances they could get this to work beautifully.

Percepto was famous for being used in theaters showing The Tingler. It involved putting buzzers under the seats and when the time was right turning them on and giving theater-goers a really good scare. Outside of DisneyWorld, I haven't seen this brought back.

If we're going to have a gimmick-filled movie, let's go all the way. Opinions?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:49 AM
DIGITALLY REMASTERED

I like 3D films, kids my age missed out on its first time out, I'm a very big fan of William Castle who used a lot of gimics in his movies, you older guys must have had a great time sitting on cinema seats and being zapped up the backside or smelling smelly things or deciding the fate of a character from the movie, what fun you guys had.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 AM
Cranky

As someone who works in the field of movie marketing research, you would not believe the amount of 3-D films that are coming up. Hollywood has latched on to this gimmick as a last ditch effort to get more seats filled... it's going to take them a while to realize that charging $3 MORE for a ticket is not the way to do that....

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
As someone who works in the field of movie marketing research, you would not believe the amount of 3-D films that are coming up. Hollywood has latched on to this gimmick as a last ditch effort to get more seats filled... it's going to take them a while to realize that charging $3 MORE for a ticket is not the way to do that....
I hope you're right, and that it doesn't take TOO long. And I REALLY hope that the 3-D television doesn't catch on!!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
. And I REALLY hope that the 3-D television doesn't catch on!!
It will. And it sucks , cause i just spent a bundle updating to the new tv's. And if they catch on, i'll just for a few years, for the prices to go down.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
Jurassic Park on it's opening weekend, I must have been about 12. I remember being blown away, CG was going to be the greatest thing ever to happen to movies. Boy was I wrong. I'm all for gimmicks, except when they're used as a band aid for a crap movie. 3-D isn't really 'new and exciting' anymore and I think it's sad the powers that be expect people to pay %20 more for a ticket to see it; when in reality the higher price guarantees a lot of people like myself will watch something else. Of course if word is 'it's a great movie and worth the extra bucks', ok sure, but that hasn't happened yet.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 AM
Inquisitor Generalis

Hmmm... Can understand that people who dont find 3-D cool, gets tired of the hype. But still its possible to choose between 3-D and ordinary... I`m fascinated by 3-D technology but wouldnt let that get in the way for beeing critical towards other factors in film making, such as directing, acting, plot etc etc. Im soon to replace my PC monitor, and i am strongly considering one that can be used with a 3-D system, such as nvidia 3-D vision.
In gaming i REALLY belive there is a future - cant wait for `Aliens: colonial marines` to hit the market (Still waiting SEGA!!!) - Long corridors with flickering cold-blue light, facehuggers and 3-D ! Man, it will give me a stroke..
3-D is what made me go to ordinary cinemas again - apart from that the only cinemas i go to is annual film festivals, the rest i prefer to watch on my 26" LCD TV. Why do people want the 3-D TV NOT to become a reallity, when it is still an ordinary HD 2-D TV at the same time ???

"The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."
Old 05-23-2010, 06:18 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlagueBearer View Post
Hmmm... Can understand that people who dont find 3-D cool, gets tired of the hype. But still its possible to choose between 3-D and ordinary... I`m fascinated by 3-D technology but wouldnt let that get in the way for beeing critical towards other factors in film making, such as directing, acting, plot etc etc. Im soon to replace my PC monitor, and i am strongly considering one that can be used with a 3-D system, such as nvidia 3-D vision.
In gaming i REALLY belive there is a future - cant wait for `Aliens: colonial marines` to hit the market (Still waiting SEGA!!!) - Long corridors with flickering cold-blue light, facehuggers and 3-D ! Man, it will give me a stroke..
3-D is what made me go to ordinary cinemas again - apart from that the only cinemas i go to is annual film festivals, the rest i prefer to watch on my 26" LCD TV. Why do people want the 3-D TV NOT to become a reallity, when it is still an ordinary HD 2-D TV at the same time ???
The problem is if this keeps up people WON'T be able to choose whether or not to watch a 3-D film, they'll have no choice. If CGI takes over the film industry, actors will find themselves constantly in that blue skin-tight CGI suit or out of work, and that would be an unforgivable tragedy.

The 3-D trend is hopefully just that; a trend, and will die out like the colorization trend.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Inquisitor Generalis

Hehehe thats quite pessimistic - There will always be dedicated directors and actors who belive in the art of movie making, and will prioritise that infront of visual beauty (if that made any sense ). Remember that the fault also lies with the audience - there are many many who embraces this trend.
Me myself finds the use of models in movie making more beautiful than glossy CGI.
Not gonna object that CGI has raped the industry -
But still i find 3-D a worthy formate that should be made available for people who wants it.
I remember the days when the comic books `conan` & `the phantom` went from black-white to colors. That caused alot of debate :D

"The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."
Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlagueBearer View Post
Remember that the fault also lies with the audience - there are many many who embraces this trend.:D
Too true, that's why I'm staying away from the 3-D movies.