Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Silent but Deadly

Question!

Explain why Horror is still a popular Genre. You may discuss the asesthetics of the genre but you must discuss what the horror genre offers that is different from other works. What makes it endure from age to age? Use specific examples from the readings and film. You may pull from class discussion as well.

Any help with this question would be awesome!
I cannot prepare for that which I cannot foresee; therefore, forgive me should I appear constantly unsettled by your behavior. The only patterns I base my life on are yours, and the routine which I derive from your behavior is only as solid as your adherence to your own behavioral patterns. If I cannot understand you, how can I live for you?

What does a blind, deaf, quadriplegic baby get for Christmas?
*Cancer*

Cure for overpopulation = Bubonic Plague
Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Answer!

I think horror survives as a popular genre because effective horror touches on conscious and subconscious fears. Things that we were taught to fear as a child are enacted in effective horror either literally or metaphorically. This, of course occurs in the relative safety of a movie theatre or on the television.

So one can confront the deep-seated fears of childhood a safe/protected environment. This causes a number of emotions for people - obviously fear, but also elation as one faces and defeats the ghosts of childhood fears.

Naturally, different films will touch on different fears, so individual films will vary in effectiveness between viewers.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Haven't most genre's survived since their conception?

I know Musicals and Westerns aren't popular as they were but action films, comedies, horror, romance, sci fi are still going strong (though they still go thru cycles).
Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Mainly because people are different, and there will always be a significant population who enjoy seeing the typical content of Horror. I can't really think of putting it any other way. I suppose it, like action, gets adrenaline pumping and can really make the viewer engage with what's going on, after all, I don't think the audience in cinemas react to any other genre as...vocally.

AND HOW DARE YOU COME BACK WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A HELLO, JUST...DEMANDING WE HELP ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?!?!! :mad:

:p

The Ferrets like it...
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Silent but Deadly

Thank you guys so much for the help. This is really late...so I'm sorry about that.

And Ferretchucker...

Hello. It's nice to have time to actually get on here.
I cannot prepare for that which I cannot foresee; therefore, forgive me should I appear constantly unsettled by your behavior. The only patterns I base my life on are yours, and the routine which I derive from your behavior is only as solid as your adherence to your own behavioral patterns. If I cannot understand you, how can I live for you?

What does a blind, deaf, quadriplegic baby get for Christmas?
*Cancer*

Cure for overpopulation = Bubonic Plague
Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Haha, good stuff. And yeah, good to see you back.

The Ferrets like it...

Tags
do my homework, laziness