Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 PM
BH14

The House of the Devil

6.5/10.... It's a bit too slow but then it gets real good. The ending was pretty lame though. Worth a rent.

ht tp://www.chasingthefrog.com/catalog/my_movies.php?username=sirbflo114
Old 03-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Bad Natured

Manhunter (1986). While this was not a spectacular flick, it is definitely a solid entry into the psycho-thriller genre. The cinematography was solid, with the running down the stares scene a great example of a wonderfully powerful moment. Brian Cox gives a chilling performance of Dr. Lecktor. That he is a psycho is believable, but what is really chilling is that he could easily fit right back into society without anyone knowing the better and that makes him a frightful monster. Overall an entertaining flick that gives us our money's worth in play time. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:32 AM
The Spine Splitter

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Loomis Send a message via MSN to Doctor Loomis Send a message via Yahoo to Doctor Loomis
pulp fiction
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Evil Dead

Halloween 2: I really didn't mind the first one. I thought Zombie did a pretty good job of it. Not great, but passable. The sequel though? Utter crap. God I wanted Laurie to die in the opening sequence... The only good point is the brutality of Michael. It was almost upsetting to see how brutal he was in this movie.

The Box: Strong start, but utterly failed due to a ridiculous plotline and pointless special effects. I didn't have high hopes for this one anyway, but it wasn't even worth the time I spent watching it.

Where the Wild Things Are: Pretty good. It was way darker than I expected. I haven't actually read the original book, but I was expecting a movie a bit more for kids, which this really isn't. Somewhat slow moving, but enjoyable.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus

I don't mind films being on the cheap, with less than perfect CGI, so long as they make the effort to get the little details right. This could've been a passably crap B movie creature feature, perfect brainless entertainment. Sadly its just utter, utter shit with so much wrong I couldn't be arsed listing them.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 AM
For Vendetta

I'll spare the lengthy diatribe and sum it up in one word - disappointing. Effects don't make a film (much less a timeless fable for all ages), and of all people Tim Burton should know that. Except for Mia as Alice and Crispin as the Knave, everyone else felt stretched and repetitive.

Sorry Doc, but your worst fears are true. This is indeed a bastardised version of Carroll's tale, and I will stick to Disney's animated 50s film as my most preferred version of my most favorite parable. Burton and Alice fans, watch this only if you are high on effects.

Rating - * * ½
Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Bad Natured

Hang 'em High (1968). This was simply a tale of western revenge told with some historical accuracy. Clint here plays a rather subdued character, but he does so wonderfully. He even gets a name. The opening scene is a classic, a botched lynching that sets the stage for the rest of the film. Other than an unnecessary romance, this classic is solid. The acting and direction is competent, and the camera-work was more than worthy, especially with the appropriate use of close-ups. Over, a hidden gem of a western. Mercie beaucoup.
d

Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Midnight Toker

Send a message via MSN to iSeymore
Rob Zombie's Halloween II (2009)
Rating altogether: 8/10 for me.

Pros:
Michael Myers looks more bad-ass than ever.
His kill scenes are a lot more brutalized than the new Friday the 13th's kill scenes (Let's hope 2010's A Nightmare on Elm Street has gruesome kill scenes like Halloween II!)
Laurie Strode and Annie Brackette have new changing attitudes towards each other and their lives since the events of Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007).
You see the father of Laurie and Annie's mutual friend who had been murdered by Michael Myers in the previous movie.

Cons:
Samuel Loomis is a cocky best selling author of a novel about Michael Myers's life and the events of Haddonfield Illinois.
Michael Myers keeps following his mother dressed in white and himself as a child dressed in the outfit he used to butcher the rest of his own family. That was kinda weird, but also made a little sense.
Michael Myers walking throughout Haddonfield without a mask on throughout some of the film, I mean C'mon. Michael Myers without a white/dirty mask just doesn't make sense at all! That's what made me afraid of him when I was a child myself.

- The Brutal kill scenes makes this movie totally watchable. The best scene was in Laurie's dream around the beginning of the movie and Michael kills the african american female nurse. Brootal.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Freeway Killer (2009)

>>: C

New Moon (2009)

>>: C

Dean Spanley (2008)

>>: B+

Last edited by roshiq; 03-12-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:15 AM
Bad Natured

Cries and Whispers (1972). This brilliant classic that is all about despair and grief, loneliness and hatred, with a little peasant warmth sprinkled in at all the right places. A story of three sisters and a maid, this one threatens to become a chick flick, but thankfully veers in the direction of a study of the human condition. The four characters could not be a better contrast of people, very believable but a polar sorts. The cinematography was incredible; the direction masterful. The acting was sublime; the story itself was simple yet engaging and profoundly moving. Simply another masterpiece from the inimitable Ingmar Bergman.

Five Easy Pieces (1970) What starts out to be a mess of a movie becomes a character study in the mess of a man. No straightforward story could come to disentangle the twisted character of Robert, which was nailed by Jack Nicholson. As the story unravels we begin to see why his character seems so out of place with the rest of the world. The diner scene, which in a way explains everything, was infamously splendid. His trashy and needy girlfriend was just as engaging, a part incredibly portrayed by Karen Black. The ending was both sudden and profound, though we know this was not the end of the story, just the the end of our involvement in the story of Robert. The direction was solid, and the camerawork perfect, with the piano and pictures scene coming off as brilliant. Dark, moody, and abrupt, this wonderful flick deserves its accolades. Mercie beaucoup.
d