Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Evil Dead

Just finished Children of Dune by Frank Herbert. That is the 3rd book of the Dune series and was shockingly good. The first book Dune was great, and then I read the 2nd book Dune Messiah and it was not nearly as good and the first, although it wasn't terrible by any means. So I figured I read the 3rd to see if, as sometimes happens, the series just continues going downhill after the first. It didn't. The 3rd was just as good as the 1st.

"God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East." --G W Bush, according to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas
Old 07-04-2005, 06:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Unaboner3000
Just finished Children of Dune by Frank Herbert. That is the 3rd book of the Dune series and was shockingly good. The first book Dune was great, and then I read the 2nd book Dune Messiah and it was not nearly as good and the first, although it wasn't terrible by any means. So I figured I read the 3rd to see if, as sometimes happens, the series just continues going downhill after the first. It didn't. The 3rd was just as good as the 1st.

the series gets weirder as it goes after #3
Old 07-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Banned

i'm about 1/2 way through The Two Towers ..

figured i'd reread it to see what was left out of the movie (and why)

as i remembered Legolas and Grimly had much bigger contributions in the books fut the focus in the movie fell on Aragon

I had forgotten how well those books were written ..
Old 07-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
the series gets weirder as it goes after #3
I'm well into book four, God Emperor of Dune, and would agree that the story has gotten weird. Unfortunately, it seems like Herbert has created such a vast story that he can't help but get a little weird. So far an OK book. I will put off reading the 5th and 6th books, which I have already bought, for a little while. Read a few others and then come back to the Dune story afresh.

"God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East." --G W Bush, according to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas
Old 07-08-2005, 12:07 AM

On the Trail of the Assassins (1988). Jim Garrison
Old 07-08-2005, 03:09 AM
dead delilah

Send a message via AIM to novadawn969 Send a message via MSN to novadawn969 Send a message via Yahoo to novadawn969
Quote:
Originally posted by Kreech
Narcissus in Chains by Laurell K. Hamilton. It was actualy pretty good, but the ending was mediocre. I reccomend all books in this series. Especialy Burnt Offerings.
wow, my friend is reading this series. I'm going to read it once she is done. I heard its really Kinky. :D I think I'll like it.

The last book I read was 'Beyond The Pale' by Savannah Russe. It was really short and I've read better. It was ok. I'll read anything recommended.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Unaboner3000
herbert has an insanely complex mind ...
i think he made the first few books accessable but he later allows his books to go deep into his vision of a possible future ..he sees it like he's already been there.

I dont think i've read any other author who sees the impossible so clearly.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:01 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I was away at my cabin last week, and pretty much all I do there is either read or watch movies:D

Here's what I read:

Falling Angel by William Hjortzburg(sp?)- Great book that inspired Angel Heart. Seeing as all the stores here suck, I cant compare it to the movie, but it was a great read. Fast paced, action-packed, and an ending that'll hit ya like a ton of bricks [Unless you've seen the movie, of course:P]

Pet Semetery by Stephen King- I thought the same of this as I do of most King books [Green Mile and The Shining exempted]. It had a great plot, but the man really isnt a very good writer. His tangents into pointlessness had me bored into submission in some points. Overall, it was OK, I guess.

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson- My parents both love the Alex Cross novels, so I firgured it was time I read one. I certainly wasnt disapointed. Well written, and fast-paced for the most part, plus it had tons of twists, most of which were pretty unexpected.

Oddly enough, all 3 of those have movies based on 'em, but I havnt seen any....
Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 PM
dead delilah

Send a message via AIM to novadawn969 Send a message via MSN to novadawn969 Send a message via Yahoo to novadawn969
i just finished darkness, tell us by richard laymon. it was not Laymon's best but i still injoyed it.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Banned

just finished the Two Towers, and started The Return of the King.

interesting read just to see where the movie deviated from the book - and why ..