Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Contributors, Articles & Others > News, Reviews & Article Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Cenobiter

Post Review of "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" (2003)

"Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" (2003) - Director: Peter Jackson - Starring Elijah Wood, Ian McKellan, Andy Serkis. [details]
Old 12-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

Theoden is Eowyn's Uncle, not father. Sorry to be a nitpicker about this.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Unregistered

Besides your Théoden is Éowyn's father faux pas: a troll in the fellowship swearing to see the ring destroyed? What film were you watching?
Old 12-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

Also, sorry to nitpick, but Philipa Boyens is not PJ's wife! Fran Walsh is his "life partner" (they're not actually married, I believe).
Old 12-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Unregistered

You people who complain about the "multiple" endings are just plain ignorant. There is only one ending here and it is exactly how it is supposed to be. Peter Jackson was finishing up not one movie here but three, and these are movies that detail the story of the ring and its consequences. You truncate the ending and then you wouldn't see the effects of the ring: "Time does not heal all wounds" is a critical and central theme. Lopping off the movie at the Minas Tirith celebration would be a glorious ending indeed, on the scale of the ending of Phantom Menace. But what makes this movie as great as it is, is the sensitivity to these critical themes, not relying on a crappy hollywood ending formula, and bringing the story back down to a human (well, hobbit) level. It's a beautiful ending. An incredible denouement that says that a "happily ever after" is simply not possible. Those who complain about this conclusion should give it a moment's thought. Please.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

I agree. I actually went to the Trilogy Tuesday event, and saw all three movies in a row. And even though I have read the books 6 times, I have not read them in the last years. But I do the true ending, and Mr. JAckson did it right. I would have been very dissappointed with the hollywood ending. Aren't there enough movies that do that? This is better than a hollywood movie. This is a gift from fans, to fans of the story, the characters, and the long history of middle earth itself.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Decapitated

Send a message via Yahoo to coldwhisper
Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
You people who complain about the "multiple" endings are just plain ignorant. There is only one ending here and it is exactly how it is supposed to be. Peter Jackson was finishing up not one movie here but three, and these are movies that detail the story of the ring and its consequences. You truncate the ending and then you wouldn't see the effects of the ring: "Time does not heal all wounds" is a critical and central theme. Lopping off the movie at the Minas Tirith celebration would be a glorious ending indeed, on the scale of the ending of Phantom Menace. But what makes this movie as great as it is, is the sensitivity to these critical themes, not relying on a crappy hollywood ending formula, and bringing the story back down to a human (well, hobbit) level. It's a beautiful ending. An incredible denouement that says that a "happily ever after" is simply not possible. Those who complain about this conclusion should give it a moment's thought. Please.
I agree. Twas a great ending indeed! This movie ROCKS!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Unregistered

Grima Wormtongue was not in Fellowship - he was in Two Towers.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Return og the King

I'M GOING I'M GOING AGAIN TONIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Unregistered

It's a masterpiece.I will go again and again!! But one question.What about Sarouman's death?Hope it will be in the DVD special extended edition.