Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM
HDC Idol

For the Fourth of July Weekend we listened to the audiobook version of The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan for our trek to and from Cape Cod. It's read by Ron Perlman, which is utterly perfect. We really enjoyed it and need to make time to listen more now that we don't have any long trips planned...

Also on vacation, I read about half of N0S4A2 by Joe Hill. It's good... Not as good as, say, Heart-Shaped Box or Horns... It certainly has a higher creep factor in this one... Now I need to make more time for reading while not on vacation... :o

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Evil is Better

Heading out to a cabin with my girlfriends Father and Brother for a little bonding i guess. I decided to bring The Shining with me. I think the feeling of isolation in the book will really come across being out in the middle of nowhere and make it a lot scarier for me. Plus i want to read it again before Doctor Sleep comes out.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Wanna Join?

Just read a Philip K. Dick story in Brian Aldiss's SPACE OPERA collection called "Colony" which is without doubt sf but reads like horror (kinda like Lovecraft). For one of the few times ever I actually saw the ending coming but it still shook me silly it was so well done.

Three quarters of the way through THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, action/adventure of the highest sort. If they rated books like movies this would be R.

And slowly but surely working my way through THE WORLD OF H.G. WELLS, literary criticism by the great Van Wyck Brooks.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Wanna Join?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Just started Dracula by Bram Stoker, per sfear's suggestion. So far pretty good! I am cheering for Dracula. :cool:
Hope you like it. Read some rather negative things about it at another forum but what do they know? Like Frederik Pohl said, "Nothing is so good that somebody somewhere won't hate it." (But if you don't like it, that's cool too.)

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 07-19-2013, 08:55 AM
HDC's old chick

The Yard by Alex Grecian
Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 AM
HDC's old chick

A Murderous Procession by Ariana Franklin
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Bronson

Currently reading "The Family Corleone" by Ed Falco based on an un-produced screenplay by Mario Puzo.

About to read "Inferno" by Dan Brown the 4th Robert Langdon installment.

Recently finished "Fevre Dream" by George RR Martin (if you like vampire tales you'll love this!)

Also read all 5 novels from "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George RR Martin Which HBO's "A Game of Thrones" is based on for any non-fans.

Also read his three short stories "The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and "The Mystery Knight", the tales of Dunk & Egg. If you haven't read these and are finished with the 5 novels and looking for a Westoros fix while waiting for "The Winds of Winter". I highly suggest it, it's also a cool history lesson introducing characters from the past that they talk about in the current novels/show.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Evil Dead

Grave Peril
By
Jim Butcher
Old 08-03-2013, 03:34 AM
Little Boo

I just read Peter Straub's 'Ghost Story' again after twenty years. I was surprised how good it still was. I also enjoyed T.E.D Klein's 'Dark Gods'.

Lately I have been reading stuff for free on Kindle. I haven't heard of this author before. There is no bio and his artwork is lame but the story really gripped me.

http://amzn.to/1cy82WY

Regards
Old 08-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Horror writer

I just started reading "Clickers" by J F Gonzalez and Mark Williams. It is fun romp about mutant crustaceans.
I started reading it because I am a fan of Brian Keene and he coauthored the sequels.
Only a few chapters in, but it is well written and has a good pace.