Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post

Evil Dead (2013)

...for the third time.
Damn, you must have really liked it.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Bring it on Chrono!

Seriously though I just find him annoying and not funny at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
Sorry Chrono...but ditto...lol. I don't like him at all...annoying and not funny as The Villain points out.
OK... Guess I'll have to fight BOTH of you then... ;)

So the good news is, he's nothing like Dwight in Super - In fact, he's incredibly honest and earnest to a pretty surreal and sad extent... I say give the movie a try if you haven't seen it yet. I'm still not sure about how I feel about Ellen Paige, but I loved the film...

Last night we watched Sharknado (2013).

It was entertaining and informative. I had no idea that sharks could remain that dangerous out of water.

American Mary (2012)

Hmmm. I was actually pretty disappointed in this for a couple of different reasons -
  • Rue Morgue made a HUGE buzz about the movie in last month's issue and labelled it "Feminist horror," which definitely had me very curious
  • With such a bizarre concept of an underground body modification surgeon, I thought that the movie opened the door for some seriously disturbing and interesting body horror themes and images...

But it fell short for me. I think that it suffers from being directed by two novice filmmakers whose buzz is bigger than their bite and, honestly, without a strong film around her, Katharine Isabelle's weaknesses show - She's really not that great an actress.

I guess I was expecting more body horror, interesting body modification concepts, and, quite frankly, to be shocked. But I wasn't. Also the ending was pretty awful and dissatisfying. Huge disappointed Meh.

This Film is Not Yet Rated (2006)

Fantastic expose of the MPAA - I liked this one a lot.

Cleanflix (2009)

Great documentary about a video rental business in Utah that purchases R-rated videos and then edits out the sex, violence, and language so that the wussy Mormon community can watch them. Amused the Hell out of me.

Definitely recommended.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Evil Dead

"Pacific Rim" (2013)

Plot:
Big ass robots fight big ass monsters, make a big ass mess.

Phantom's Review: I love giant monster movies. Godzilla, Kong, Gargantuas, Gorgo,Beast From 20,000 Fathoms,whatever. If it's a giant smashing things I'm there.
"Pacific Rim", for me was the ultimate. It had all the things you loved in giant monster films of the past. Paper thin plot and plenty of smashin' action. The acting is a little better,the special FX are awesome and the dialogue actually matches the movement of the actors mouths.
This was the coolest movie of the summer so far. I hope next years "Godzilla" remake is as good. (so long as it's better than that Matthew Broderick piece of crap, I'll be happy)
Old 07-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
OK... Guess I'll have to fight BOTH of you then... ;)

So the good news is, he's nothing like Dwight in Super - In fact, he's incredibly honest and earnest to a pretty surreal and sad extent... I say give the movie a try if you haven't seen it yet. I'm still not sure about how I feel about Ellen Paige, but I loved the film....
Ok well knowing that makes me less apprehensive to watch it so ill guess ill check it out

Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
Damn, you must have really liked it.
Oh yeah. IMO, best demon possession movie to come out in a long time. Plus lots of nuggets and respect paid to the originals without trying to be the originals.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 PM
That fucking Guy...

Evil Dead 2013 - First time viewing.

I'm pretty openminded when it comes to remakes/reimaginings of films I've enjoyed in the past.
There's ones I enjoy such as Dawn, and there's ones that I do not like NOES. Hit or miss for me, though I'm always willing to watch.

The original "The Evil Dead" is one of the first horror films I have recollection of seeing, and has always been a favourite of mine.
This might somewhat bias any views I have of something different, but hey I admit that.

This one was "ok" but honestly I was a bit underwhelmed.
I found it lacking in atmosphere, and it seemed like it was too much of a gore/shock competition with the original.

I actually didn't mind that new characters were bought in, though I think the do-over of the whole book/lore/demon was both superfluous and bordering on disrespectful of the source material.
I do understand wanting to make something ones own, and admire the balls and aspiration there, but...yeah, kind've approaching uncool.

Also, a bit dissatisfied with the look of the possessed, and the voices were certainly more warped in the 80's version...I preferred those.
These things looked right out of the exorcist, and not sure if it was an intentional joke towards this, but some of the dialogue even gave a nod that way too.

It was a relatively fun movie, but I don't think I'd go out and buy myself a copy personally.

I'd give this a 6/10.
The original is about an 8.5 - 9 for me.
I didn't hate it.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:46 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Evil Dead 2013 - First time viewing.

I'm pretty openminded when it comes to remakes/reimaginings of films I've enjoyed in the past.
There's ones I enjoy such as Dawn, and there's ones that I do not like NOES. Hit or miss for me, though I'm always willing to watch.

The original "The Evil Dead" is one of the first horror films I have recollection of seeing, and has always been a favourite of mine.
This might somewhat bias any views I have of something different, but hey I admit that.

I found it lacking in atmosphere, and it seemed like it was too much of a gore/shock competition with the original.

I actually didn't mind that new characters were bought in, though I think the do-over of the whole book/lore/demon was both superfluous and bordering on disrespectful of the source material.
I do understand wanting to make something ones own, and admire the balls and aspiration there, but...yeah, kind've approaching uncool.

Also, a bit dissatisfied with the look of the possessed, and the voices were certainly more warped in the 80's version...I preferred those.
These things looked right out of the exorcist, and not sure if it was an intentional joke towards this, but some of the dialogue even gave a nod that way too.

It was a relatively fun movie, but I don't think I'd go out and buy myself a copy personally.

I'd give this a 6/10.
The original is about an 8.5 - 9 for me.
I didn't hate it.
I actually loved it, did not feel any disrespect towards the original, like that it took a more serious approach, liked the changes they made, especially in regards to the book.

You do know that Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell both produced this film right, I'm sure if they felt it disrespected them they wouldn't have put their name on it.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
100 feet .
Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
I actually loved it, did not feel any disrespect towards the original, like that it took a more serious approach, liked the changes they made, especially in regards to the book.
Ok.

Quote:
You do know that Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell both produced this film right,
Yes.
I also know that can indicate varying degrees of involvement.

Quote:
I'm sure if they felt it disrespected them they wouldn't have put their name on it.
Don't really give a fuck how they felt about it or not...I'm not about to hop on its dick just because they had their name involved with something that put some cash in their pocket.
I am not that much of a fanboy.
Drag me to Hell was more Evil Dead than this was.
Besides, I said the source material. Not them.
Changes are fine as is originality, though I personally think they took it and ran in the wrong direction.
You don't have to agree with me.
You think what you think about it, cool.
Like I said, I didn't hate it.

It served a good purpose whether I liked it that much or not, to show Raimi that his franchise could still float...seems like the first real news of his proposed sequel to AOD/ed4 has solidified since its release.

Quote:
I hope next years "Godzilla" remake is as good.
Incredible first poster for this.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post

I found it underwhelming too. Nothing special at all and it just felt like a hollow version of the original all flash and no substance (some nice camera work and effects tho). It lacked the strong characters of the original films.

I hated how the demons were a combo of J-Horror and The Exorcist they just weren't as effective IMO.

Didn't hate it but thought it was disappointing and could've been a lot better.

Tags
movie