Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies

Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

i have about 30 - 35 of their titles now (over 3/4 of the catelogue) ... I'll be able to catch up on everything folks have been mentioning here finally.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:41 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
i have about 30 - 35 of their titles now (over 3/4 of the catelogue) ... I'll be able to catch up on everything folks have been mentioning here finally.
Let me know your favorites. :) Always looking for more recommendations.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I couldn't really get into it. Then again, at the time the boyfriend was having an ADD attack and couldn't sit still, so that was a bit distracting. Haven't returned to finish it yet, though. Not sure if it's worth it.
Have you watched Re-Cycle yet?

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Have you watched Re-Cycle yet?
Yeah... I was... Kinda disappointed... I ranted about it in the "Last Seen Thread" (if you're interested):

Quote:
I just saw Re-Cycle.

First, I'd like to say that I am incredibly unimpressed with so far with what I've seen of Hong Kong Horror (the Pang Brothers are from Hong Kong, stenchofdeath, not from Japan). While The Eye, for example, is fairly iconic amongst Asian Horror fans, I found it lengthy and disappointing (though conceptually brilliant).

As for Re-Cycle. This movie can be summed up in one word: Turgid.

Overwrought, over-directed, over-produced... Far too much soundtrack, far too much insipid story line...

Like The Eye, the concept was brilliant. And the myriad of nightmarish visuals that take over the middle of the film are beautiful, macabre, interesting, and compelling... I felt as though I was at times wandering through Neil Gaiman's nightmares, or traveling through a live action version of Paprika... As soon as she steps off the elevator and begins her journey, I was captivated... But soon my attention was lost in what turned into a sappy contrived resolution. I think that this would have made an AMAZING 45-minute short of just her journey into The Abandoned. The boring and contrived background story coupled with the cheesy Disney-clad resolution at the end of her travels (What Dreams May Come, anyone?) made me just... angry.

I give this movie a C/C+, giving it extra credit for the stunning visuals. If the Pang Brothers had a better editor, this could have been a much, much better film... But, ultimately, I was just annoyed.
Have you watched it yet, NE? What are your thoughts?

So far, from the selection On Demand, I've seen:
  • Oldboy - First time I've ever seen it. Thought it was brilliant.
  • Ghost of Mae Nek - I was bored, but overall have to blame the boyfriend for not finishing it; part of me wants to go back and finish it. I thought that the depiction of the ghost was interesting (wonder if the black oval in the middle of the forehead is specific to Thai culture) and the myth itself was interesting.
  • Re-Cycle
  • The Maid - Very interesting Chinese ghost movie. I was more interested in the cultural aspect then the movie itself, but it was enjoyable.
  • The Red Shoes - I thought this movie was great, though ran ultimately a little long.

I really want to see 6IXTYNIN9 too, though I'm not sure if I'll get to it before 9/2.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Cranky

Yah- I also posted about it in most recently watched:

Quote:
I really like the way some Asian horror really gets into the philosophy, and the way strange events are related to a character's psyche. Some people hate Asian horror for just that reason. For me it's a welcome change from the mindlessness of a lot of American horror. I also like the way they often focus on women and women's issues.

On top of that, this film uses color is a very creative manner and has great special effects- not to mention Chinese zombies.

At one point I was feeling like it was getting a little long but not five minutes later it had pulled me back in for an emotional climax and a last minute twist I never saw coming.

Really a fantastic movie.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Yah- I also posted about it in most recently watched:
See - I thought that the imagery and philosophy mixed with mythology was brilliant (the images themselves were particularly macabre and striking)... I just thought that it needed some SERIOUS editing.

The Disney-like reconciliation didn't bother you? It seriously had me clutching my fists in anger.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Cranky

I had suspected the relationship from the beginning so I found it gratifying that it was so. It made sense since her father and mother were popping up. It made karmic sense and gave motivation for the entire journey. I would have been disappointed if it hadn't turned out that way.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Let me know your favorites. :) Always looking for more recommendations.

i can tell you one i didnt like : Phone.

found it simplistic - to the point of insulting.
the narrative completely grinds to a halt at one point
to explain everything (that anyone with even a tiny brain would have already known)
Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Cranky

Watched The Maid tonight. Not really scary, but a good story with some interesting looks at customs and beliefs in China.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Cranky

Watched Bright Future & The Red Shoes.

I thought both were great- The Red Shoes being the better of the two. Great soundtrack too.