Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Finished Brian Keene's A Gathering of Crows and Castaways and David W. Barbee's A Town Called Suckhole, which is hilarious, weird and action packed. Here's Ain't It Cool's review http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52730#3
Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Finished Brian Keene's A Gathering of Crows and Castaways and David W. Barbee's A Town Called Suckhole, which is hilarious, weird and action packed. Here's Ain't It Cool's review http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52730#3
Two very good books by Keene. I especially liked Castaways since i love Richard Laymon's stuff and it was an homage to him.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Two very good books by Keene. I especially liked Castaways since i love Richard Laymon's stuff and it was an homage to him.
Haven't gotten around to reading A Gathering of Crows yet, it is the last of the Leisure books of his that I have and I guess I'm trying to savor it, lol. Castaways was a lot of fun and I can also appreciate the homage to Laymon.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
Haven't gotten around to reading A Gathering of Crows yet, it is the last of the Leisure books of his that I have and I guess I'm trying to savor it, lol. Castaways was a lot of fun and I can also appreciate the homage to Laymon.
It's not like it's gonna be Keene's last book. He's good no matter whose publishing him.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
It's not like it's gonna be Keene's last book. He's good no matter whose publishing him.
That wasn't what I was saying, it's just that that is the last book of his that I own that I haven't read yet. I haven't gotten into ordering books online yet but I really am loving the covers Deadite has been using.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Wanna Join?

Maybe the book that should be read more often around here is the one about at least one moderator making him or herself a little more available. I started a new thread in the book forum and was informed by a message flashing by so fast I didn't have time to read it in it's entirety but just enough to know my thread wouldn't appear until a moderator gives the okay or some such thing. Well, there's seven moderators listed at the bottom of the screen and not a one of them is online to help things out and I posted the new thread about three hours ago. Come on, show periodically, will you? No other forum I post at had this silly rule. I'm not asking you to justify it, just do your job, okay? Thank you.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfear View Post
Maybe the book that should be read more often around here is the one about at least one moderator making him or herself a little more available. I started a new thread in the book forum and was informed by a message flashing by so fast I didn't have time to read it in it's entirety but just enough to know my thread wouldn't appear until a moderator gives the okay or some such thing. Well, there's seven moderators listed at the bottom of the screen and not a one of them is online to help things out and I posted the new thread about three hours ago. Come on, show periodically, will you? No other forum I post at had this silly rule. I'm not asking you to justify it, just do your job, okay? Thank you.
It's actually more a problem with the admins and theres a whole thread to bitch about this problem.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59625
Old 01-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Wanna Join?

Quote:
It's actually more a problem with the admins and theres a whole thread to bitch about this problem.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59625
Okay, thanks. Still, at least one mod should have poked in sometime in the past three hours.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Okay, thanks. Still, at least one mod should have poked in sometime in the past three hours.
I think it's best not to blame the mods. They don't need to do this and i'm sure it's a hell of a lot of work to do that mostly goes unappreciated. I do understand your annoyance though.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Cranky

Quote:
My apologies for not being at your beck and call at the drop of a hat. Of the 7 mods listed, there are only 3 who are active on the forum. I work a full time job, and my busiest days are the weekend. When I'm at work, I have to actually WORK. I don't get to sit around and surf the net all day. V lives in India. It would have been the middle of the night there when you posted your new thread, not to mention he has a new baby and family obligations. Zwoti lives in England. I really don't know much about him, so I can't speak up about the amount of time he has to patrol these forums, just waiting for people to create new threads so he can approve them.

Now you're going to say we need a few more mods if that's the case. Damn straight, Skippy! We've had several volunteers. Perhaps you know the secret to getting the admins to listen to the mods so this could happen. If you do, please either tell the admins to get on it, or let us know how we can get them to listen to us.

Thirdly, forgive me my snotty and petulant tone in this post. Checking on HDC is one of the first things I do when I get back from my 12 hour workday on Saturday, and I don't take it all that well when somebody posts that I'm not doing my volunteer job well enough for them.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff