Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Evil Dead

It felt like it did much more with the concept. The first Purge wasn't bad but didn't go all-out with the urban setting like the sequel. Which in all fairness is no doubt due to the much smaller budget.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:58 AM
Banned

I've always preferred Hannibal to Lambs. To watch Hannibal unbound in Florence is a treat. So, better setting, better Hannibal, better investigation, better variety of threats, etc.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Evil Dead

Long time since this thread was last active. Time to bring it back.

The Conjuring 2 is one I'd definitely add to my list of Horror sequels that surpass the original. Blade II is another, though it and the original are very close for me.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Heathen View Post
I've always preferred Hannibal to Lambs. To watch Hannibal unbound in Florence is a treat. So, better setting, better Hannibal, better investigation, better variety of threats, etc.
I'm not alone!

Also

Aliens > Alien

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 07-09-2017, 01:14 AM
Evil Dead

I remember not much liking Hannibal but it's been so long since I last saw it I feel I need to give it another go to give it a fair shake. At the time it came out it didn't help that it'd been ten long years since TSOTL and expectations were impossibly high.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:31 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
I remember not much liking Hannibal but it's been so long since I last saw it I feel I need to give it another go to give it a fair shake. At the time it came out it didn't help that it'd been ten long years since TSOTL and expectations were impossibly high.
I'm with you... it's been a long time since I saw Hannibal... I remember the Ray Liotta scene, and not liking the film much compared to Lambs. Just kinda felt unhinged to me... and not in a good way. I don't remember being scared, just more grossed out... horrified? meh...

Actually, I really liked Red Dragon (2002) a lot more -- with Edward Norton and Anthony Hopkins -- thought it was an effective thriller. I mean Hannibal is an intelligent psychiatrist... that's the distinctive spice of the character. I don't remember the film Hannibal using that aspect.

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-09-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Evil Dead

I still haven't seen Red Dragon, though I have seen Manhunter, which I like a lot. I like TSOTL the best of the Hannibal films but Manhunter is surely in second place.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:59 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
I still haven't seen Red Dragon, though I have seen Manhunter, which I like a lot. I like TSOTL the best of the Hannibal films but Manhunter is surely in second place.
Manhunter was cool, though the loud background music was rather odd at times.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Evil Dead

Manhunter is very 80s, which I think is part of it's charm. Excellent score and music as well.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:48 PM
Evil Dead

Another Horror sequel I personally prefer to the original and very controversially so is The Fly II. While the Cronenberg remake is excellent I always enjoyed the sequel just a little more. Objectively the Cronenberg film is probably better from a filmmaking and story perspective, but I find the sequel a little more entertaining overall. Always been a big fan of the MartinFly creature as well which I always felt was an underrated monster and still a terrific creature design.