Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-04-2007, 12:43 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

When I saw "The Blair Witch Project," I was at a point where I was really sick of Hollywood gloss and production polish...as nice as those things often are, Hollywood goes through cycles of overusing them at the expense of story. So when this movie came along, for a lot of people, it was a perfect tonic, and I accepted it very readily.

I only saw it that one time. It scared me pretty badly, actually! Very unnerving picture for me. Never wanted to see it after that, because I have always felt that the effect would be spoiled by repeat viewings.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Very unnerving picture for me. Never wanted to see it after that, because I have always felt that the effect would be spoiled by repeat viewings.
It is that kind of picture, for sure.

Exploitation is always at one extreme point of the viewing scale. For instance, Eraserhead needs to be seen multiple times- the more the better.

Nekromantik or The Blair Witch Project is better as a one time experience.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRaVa View Post
The Blair Witch Project: Err...do you know how it was made? The directors got the 3 actors to camp in the woods, and were told they would get scared over the few days. They would find food left for them at certain places, as the days went on the directors gave them less food and made more scary noises during the night so that the actors started to get very hungry and tired.

This meant that a lot of their acting was in fact them being real, getting annoyed at each over because of sleep deprivation and hunger, even their reactions to being frightened was real. When you go to a haunted house amusement the staff that jump out on you scare you even though you know its not real. Or when you played hide and seek in the woods or something with your friends, you know its not real but if they jump out on you it will scare you. Thats much the same way the actors were being scared, they knew it was the directors but they didnt know how or when the directors would be scaring them - they just stayed in character of pretending it was a witch or whatever.

People thought it was real because it was hyped and rumoured by the directors on the internet before its release, making out as though it was a real film. I think when people went to see it in the cinema though, they realised it wasnt real. Considering their movie budget was that of a car, I think they did a good job. To me though, it was more like a very good grade at a film studies class, rather than a box office hit.

The Hostel: Not sure how to discuss your feelings on this one, your reasons arent great or substantial enough to give a good discussion back. You just seem to be TELLING us it was lame, rather than giving coherent reasons why.
As I stated in my first post: Look at how clean they are. They weren't sleeping in the woods, they were shooting in the woods. If they had a place to stay, then they were probably well taken care of. This entire movie is hype, beginning to end. The making of, the publicity, everything, 100% hype. It had to be, because as far as substance goes, there is none.

They say this movie cost thirty grand, I doubt that .But, if it did, what did it pay for? It wasn't no-name actors salaries. It wasn't for the camera, even back then cameras were still affordable (if you consider 10 grand affordable). It was probably for living expenses while they were shooting.

I'm not knocking the media or director hype, because dollar for dollar it's one of the most successful movies ever made. It grossed over a hundred and twenty six million dollars. Hopefully, the directors didn't out and out sell the movie. If they did, they must be kicking themselves.

But, do you know how many people bought into the fact it was "real"? TOO MANY. Because had the oroginal audiences used a little common sense and said "no way is this real" then it would have gotten around that the movie was a fake and no one would have went to see it. Because without the "reality" of the situation, there's nothing there. For those that are too young to remember, the "real" situation was everywhere.

Tagline: In October of 1994 three student filmmakers disappeared in the woods near Burkittsville, Maryland, while shooting a documentary...A year later their footage was found..

Hype 100% hype.

Was it an original idea? Absolutely. Was it a great media campaign? Without a doubt. Is it a great horror movie? Not even close. Is it a good horror movie? IMO, no. Was it entertaining? Not to me.

Everyone is an individual and can like whatever they want. But, personally I'll take the substance of what I'm watching over the hype which got me to see it in the first place. Take away the hype behind Blair Witch and we wouldn't even be debating it, because NO ONE would have seen it.

As for Hostel, again it was all in the media campaign. I don't remember how the exact slogan went, but it suppose to be the most terrifying movie of the year, or it'll shock you like you've never been shocked before. Again, it was suppose to be the new generation of horror. Which translates to originality. There was nothing original in the horror of this movie, because it was a complete rip-off of Saw, down to style and atmosphere, once it finally got to the gore. The first hour was tits and ass. There's nothing scary about tits and ass, unless you're homosexual (that's a joke).

IMO, people buy more into the hype, then the actual product. Which translates into more crap being made and sold. Some musical cases in point Madonna, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync...

Go for substance...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Filmmaker

Send a message via AIM to BlackSunProductions
Blair Witch Project: I liked this a lot. At last something original in the horror genre. No, there was no gore or sex and no extreme violence. What there was, was atmosphere. The scene with the laughing children attacking the tent was great. Do I think it could have been done better? Yes, but that is just me.

Hostel: I agree with you here. But its just not that they took American Wedding and turned it into a slasher, its the fact that they expect us to believe this plot to lure tourists into this trap spreads all across Europe. Then their was the deus ex machina ending where everyone responsible for what happened to the lead happens to be in his path. Eli Roth did much better with Cabin Feaver than with this film, I won't be rushing to see part II.

...and since it's being drug into everything...

The Descent: A vast improvement from Marshall's Dog Soldiers...that much you have to admit. Even still, I liked this film. It had a strong female cast that seemed like they knew their shit when they were in the caves. The monsters are believable, they remind me of more savage versions of the Morlocks from Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Filmmaker

Send a message via AIM to BlackSunProductions
Vanlutz, anyone from around my way could have told you the movie was fake before it came out. I live maybe ten minutes from Burketsville. There are no woods there that anyone can get lost in for five minutes let alone many days. I live 20 minutes from where they shot the film in Seneca Creek Park. Plus, I'm old enough that I would have remembered news about three missing teens. Still a good movie though.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Tenant

I don't think The Blair Witch Project was made to entertain. It was made to shock, and shock it did.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
Well to this day the actors say that they were really sleeping in tents in the woods etc, what reason do they have to lie? I'd believe them over you about a film they were in and you didnt like for whatever reasons.

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Evil Dead

Let's just say we all agree to disagree.

As for the Descent. I remember the commercials, but they weren't plugging it as God's gift to horror fans. It was much more enjoyable than Blair Witch or Hostel. It was confusing because the actresses all had the same basic look about them with those helmets on I could barely make out which was which.

But, sunstance wise Descent kicks Blair Witch and Hostel.

None are great horror movies.