Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Evil Dead

Two much Hype

Two movies that were hyped up the wazoo that completely sucked were

The Blair Witch Project: How anyone could have thought this was real is beyond me. First, they were always fresh. These people were in the woods for how many days, and they never got dirty. How do you manage that? But, my favorite bit of reality was when they were running away with camera in tow. If you're being chased by a witch, bear or deliverence mountain folk, you're not going to weight yourself down with a camera.

Take away the fact this was suppose to be real, and you've got nothing.

Hostel: I don't remember how they advertised this movie except it was suppose to be the second coming of horror. The first hour was nothing by lame tits and ass with moronic frat asses. By the time the gore came, I was hoping each would die. The eye hanging out just sad.

Two of the lamest horror movies in recent years.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlutz View Post
Two movies that were hyped up the wazoo that completely sucked were

The Blair Witch Project: How anyone could have thought this was real is beyond me. First, they were always fresh. These people were in the woods for how many days, and they never got dirty. How do you manage that? But, my favorite bit of reality was when they were running away with camera in tow. If you're being chased by a witch, bear or deliverence mountain folk, you're not going to weight yourself down with a camera.

Take away the fact this was suppose to be real, and you've got nothing.

Hostel: I don't remember how they advertised this movie except it was suppose to be the second coming of horror. The first hour was nothing by lame tits and ass with moronic frat asses. By the time the gore came, I was hoping each would die. The eye hanging out just sad.

Two of the lamest horror movies in recent years.
The Blair Witch Project: Err...do you know how it was made? The directors got the 3 actors to camp in the woods, and were told they would get scared over the few days. They would find food left for them at certain places, as the days went on the directors gave them less food and made more scary noises during the night so that the actors started to get very hungry and tired.

This meant that a lot of their acting was in fact them being real, getting annoyed at each over because of sleep deprivation and hunger, even their reactions to being frightened was real. When you go to a haunted house amusement the staff that jump out on you scare you even though you know its not real. Or when you played hide and seek in the woods or something with your friends, you know its not real but if they jump out on you it will scare you. Thats much the same way the actors were being scared, they knew it was the directors but they didnt know how or when the directors would be scaring them - they just stayed in character of pretending it was a witch or whatever.

People thought it was real because it was hyped and rumoured by the directors on the internet before its release, making out as though it was a real film. I think when people went to see it in the cinema though, they realised it wasnt real. Considering their movie budget was that of a car, I think they did a good job. To me though, it was more like a very good grade at a film studies class, rather than a box office hit.

The Hostel: Not sure how to discuss your feelings on this one, your reasons arent great or substantial enough to give a good discussion back. You just seem to be TELLING us it was lame, rather than giving coherent reasons why.

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Banned

here's what happened with The Blair Witch VS the Hype :

It is a good - low budget film. very effective - but definately not for everyone.

It became a media darling and was hyped by critics who can appreciate a really solid low budget film based on its merits - one being that it was a fresh and unique approach to the usually formulatic horror film.

So - what happened next is that people started to see it - like sheep. Tons of people who wouldnt otherwise see a horror film - but go to films that they hear that they are supposed to see.

This started a huge backlash. As I said - this film isnt for everybody - but everybody saw it.

It isnt my favorite film (it has a few things about it that bug me personally) but i certainly can aknowledge its merits.

So - to some - it wont live up to 'the hype' but to others - it still does.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:27 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Re. Blair Witch: When it came out, I was too young to really understand the hype, and when I first saw it, it scared me shitless. Watching it now, I see a very well made and original film that had one of the greatest advertising campains of all time.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Evil Dead

I thought Blair Witch was very effective even though I never thought it was real. Hostel was terrible, so no real disagreement there. The film you need to add to your list is The Descent. Lots of hype and major let down.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Evil Dead

EDIT: (Talking about The Descent)

What hype? Was there like loads of hype in america about it or something? Mainly because it was another british horror or something?

Over here in england, we just had an advert or two about it, nothing major. Went along to see it in the cinema in 2005, and it was alright, not great. But we had no hype about it what-so-ever for it to live up to or not.

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.

Last edited by XtRaVa; 01-04-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:02 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRaVa View Post
What hype? Was there like loads of hype in america about it or something? Mainly because it was another british horror or something?

Over here in england, we just had an advert or two about it, nothing major. Went along to see it in the cinema in 2005, and it was alright, not great. But we had no hype about it what-so-ever for it to live up to or not.
It was the first truly successful instance of a viral marketing campaign. The internet and movie community was abuzz with rumors about this supposedly "found footage" that was painstakingly edited into a documentary about the suspicious death of the three leads.

The buzz worked. The film still stands as the most profitable film in history. $35,000 budget and $250,000,000 in global box office.

And I quite liked it, but the spate of imitations were rather unpleasant...and the sequel, ugh.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Evil Dead

I think you need to re-read what I was talking about. (My bad, didnt make it totally clear I was following up from the previous post which mentioned the hype of The Descent).

I already mentioned the hype that The Blair Witch Project had, and its small budget etc in my original post at the top. :)

Old 01-04-2007, 11:38 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

sorry...I'm a dope:)

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Tenant

Quote:
The Blair Witch Project: How anyone could have thought this was real is beyond me. First, they were always fresh. These people were in the woods for how many days, and they never got dirty. How do you manage that?
They looked greasy enough to me. I go camping all the time, and I can look pretty clean after even about four days. It isn't like they were rolling around in the mud or anything. They slept in tents. And they did pack bags, I'm sure they brought extra clothing with them, along with some deoderant, a comb/brush, etc. So unless there was a scene we missed where they were having a dirtfight or something, I think the way they looked was believable enough.

Quote:
But, my favorite bit of reality was when they were running away with camera in tow. If you're being chased by a witch, bear or deliverence mountain folk, you're not going to weight yourself down with a camera.
Well, I am if the whole point I embarked on the damn journey in the first place was to get video footage of The Blair Witch, the thing I believe is chasing me. That point's kind of a no-brainer.