Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM
The Jackal

Your Favorite Horror Director

Who is your favorite horror director? The answer can be either forged from respect for their film work or wrought from a respect of their life. Please specify which is the dominate reasoning and the specifics of what interests you.

My favorite director is Shin'ya Tsukamoto. This man fascinates me, but his films are what won me over. Specifically the Tetsuo trilogy. These films are symbolism brought to life. Each film of the 3 shows the inner turmoil of the director through out the various stages of his life. It is important to note that the director plays the antagonist in each film.

The first film, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, is like watching raw emotion being slammed into the screen. This film represent the inner struggle of a man abused by his father as a child. It is presented in the bluntest way possible as the main actor, Tomorowo Taguchi, finds himself turning into a metal monster.

The second film, Tetsuo: Bodyhammer, is a big change in pace from the first film. Now, less raw, Tsukamoto puts together a story featuring a family man, Tomorowo Taguch, who is so driven by grief and rage against society that he transforms into the vicious metal monster. Without spoiling too much it is clear that family has now entered the directors life and has become a driving force behind his motivation in this film.

Lastly we have the 3rd film. Tetsuo: The Bullet Man is a change of pace from the second film. Though less so then from the first to the second. This time we follow a successful business man with a family secret. He is different. He was made different by his father's choice. Now with his back against the wall and the truth revealed will he let the metal beast burning inside of him destroy mankind or is there another way? A fitting close to the series that shows truly how far Tsukamoto has come in his own life.

So there you have it. Now that you know my who and why, what are yours?

www.youtube.com/thedeadarewatching

Last edited by Tahrgat; 12-12-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Cranky

Holy smokes. Don't think I could pick just one. Corman and Castle come immediately to mind, as well as Hitchcock, Polanski and Miike.

There, I broke all the rules- I named more than one, and I didn't say what I liked about them!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 PM
The Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Holy smokes. Don't think I could pick just one. Corman and Castle come immediately to mind, as well as Hitchcock, Polanski and Miike.

There, I broke all the rules- I named more than one, and I didn't say what I liked about them!
Congratulations, you win the internets!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Evil Dead

Oldschool: David Cronenberg, Brian Yuzna, Stuart Gordon, George Romero, Dan O'Bannon, Frank Henenlotter

Modern: Ryan Nicholson, Brian Paulin, Olaf Ittenbach, Takasi Miike
Old 12-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Evil Dead

Oops, I forgot to mention Adam Green and Tim Sullivan as well.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Evil Dead

Roger Corman is the first name I thought of, so probably him... I don't really know anything about him as a person, but I've enjoyed so many of his movies, especially the ones he did with Vincent Price, the Poe movies.

But, it's a difficult question!

EDIT: Hmm... I just realised that he's a producer and not a director, right? I always mix those two up...

Last edited by Kandarian Demon; 12-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:18 PM
The Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon View Post
Roger Corman is the first name I thought of, so probably him... I don't really know anything about him as a person, but I've enjoyed so many of his movies, especially the ones he did with Vincent Price, the Poe movies.

But, it's a difficult question!

EDIT: Hmm... I just realised that he's a producer and not a director, right? I always mix those two up...
Well I wouldn't fret too much. He is a director and producer. He is accredited with directing 49 films, an additional one in which he used the name Henry Neill and at least partly directed six other films in which he was unaccredited. So your safe with this answer