Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM
The Countess

Send a message via Yahoo to Marya Zaleska
Freaks (1932)

Oh hi!

I'm your hostess to the supernatural, Countess Marya Zaleska.

Pardon me while sit down on my comfortable sofa and adjust my shawl, fix my dress, get a nice glass of brandy and tell you about a classic horror movie.

The movie is Freaks and is from 1932.

The film was directed by Tod Browning and written by Aaron "Tod" Robbins.

The plot outline is that a beautiful circus trapeze artist agrees to marry the leader ( a midget)of a group of side show performers. However, his deformed friends find out that the lovely trapeze artist is marrying the leader for his inheritance but is really in love with the circus strongman. The freaks gang up on the trapeze artist and strongman and wreak their revenge for trying to kill their leader.

The uniqueness of this film is that director Tod Browning uses actual sideshow abnormalities rather than actors in makeup. Browning used his expereience as a member of a travelling circus to creat this film.

The reaction here in the U. S. was so intense that Browning had a hard time finding work for many years for being associated with this project. The film when finally issued here in the U. S. had many scenes deleted.

The film was banned for 30 years in the U. K.

The cast included:

Olga Baclanova as Cleopatra, the trapeze artist
Wallace Ford As Phroso
Leila Hyams as Venus
Roscoe Ates as Roscoe
Henry Victor as Hercules The Strongman
Rose Dione as Madame tetralini

The sideshow "freaks" include:

Harry & Daisy Earles as the midgets han & Freida
Daisy & Violet Hilton as the Siamese twins
Josephine Joseph as the half man/ half woman
Johnny Eck as the boy with no lower extremities
Pete Robinson as the human skeleton
Martha Morris and Frances O'Connor as the armless wonders
Price Radian as the human torso
Angelo Rossitti as the dwarf
Schlitze & the Snow Twins ( Zip & Pip) as performers that suffered with microcephaly
Elizabeth Green as the stork girl
'Koo Koo as the bird girl
Olga Roderick as the bearded lady

The "freaks" take their revenge on the Cleopatra and Hercules during a storm filled night with each of them being shown moving toward the punishment of the two.

At the end Cleopatra is seen as a half human clucking hen. The punishment for Hercules is castration.

In the original film Hercules was to been seen at the end as a singing soprano but the censors forced this scene to be cut leaving only Cleopatra as the half human clucking hen.

There has been a renewed interest in this film and it has been shown on TV and has been released on DVD.

Even though this is a 1932 film which shows it's age, it is not for the squeemish. Remember, Browing uses actual persons not actors in makeup. This film is still shocking despite it's age.

Leonard Maltin gives this film a 3.5 out of 4 stars. I agree fully. It's a great film ahead of it's time.

The DVD issued today restores most of the cut scenes as well as a special section on the biographies of the side show performers. Quite interesting and shocking as well.

If you are a classic horror movie buff, this is a movie you need for your library.

Well, must be going now.

So long from your hostess in the supernatural, Countess Marya Zaleska

I just love films that I can put my teeth into. Don't you! Lol!

The Countess

Last edited by Marya Zaleska; 08-26-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Misanthrope

Amazing film everyone should go see it on the big screen if they get the chance.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Yes a truly amazing film.

Even more amazing to think of it in the context of other horror films of the time.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Magzilla

Send a message via MSN to IndustrialKitty
I found the fact that browning did a movie based on sideshow freaks somewhat intresting considering he himself used to be in a circus and part of a sideshow. It was only a matter of time before he did a movie involving sideshow freaks. :p

2007 Top 13 Professional Haunted Attractions
1. Netherworld Haunted House, Atlanta, GA
2. 13th Gate, Baton Rouge, LA

Go to hauntworld for the rest we are also on the scariest haunted house commercial list!!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:36 AM
For Vendetta

One of the best movies ever made, IMO. Browning was a genius with his vision and the casting of real circus freaks was brilliant.

Definitely in my top 10 vintage horror movie list.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Tonight's the nght.

Haha.Don't fuck with little Hans!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustrialKitty View Post
I found the fact that browning did a movie based on sideshow freaks somewhat intresting considering he himself used to be in a circus and part of a sideshow. It was only a matter of time before he did a movie involving sideshow freaks. :p
He actually did a couple of films involving the circus and the sideshow....
The Unknown was even earlier than Freaks, and starred Lon Chaney.....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018528/ and is another must see.....:)
I think there was another as well, but I can't remember for sure, or who starred. Of course, the difference being the actors weren't truly sideshow performers.

Freaks is a favorite of mine. A truly disturbing film, and it was a very gutsy film to make at the time.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Evil Dead

totally awesome move! i always loved this one, great story absolutely no dull moment! the ending still gets me.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:26 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
The other one you're thinking of is the Unholy Three. Freaks has everything that the greatest horror movies have. It's a supreme moral fiction, an insight into human depravity, a tableau of horrors and an example for future filmmakers.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Hellraiser

Send a message via Yahoo to LoudLon
Agreed -- great flick, easy to see how it would have shocked viewers of its time. Fat chance he stood of directing another "classy" movie like Dracula once this one mortified the populace, though.

There is one bit that gives me a chuckle, and don't take it as me being spiteful or anything. But at the climax, when all the freaks are wallowing through the storm after the villainess, it shows the armless/legless man wiggling through the mud with a knife in his mouth. And I have to ask...how the hell is he gonna stab somebody?

Then again, maybe he was just carrying it for the pinhead. I dunno.