Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by totem View Post
You could easily spread the genres out into 20 categories and include hybrids like Romantic Comedies as well as subgroups like Noir & Psychological Thrillers into their own grouping. Then just do a top 5 for each.

For example, I think it would be odd to see When Harry Met Sally in the same top 10 as The Notebook. Though both are Romance, neither is a similar experience.

It's just a thought.
Would make things more confusing and complicated. Keeping stuff simple would be the way to go.

IMDB serves as the base of all compilations. If both movies are listed under Romance, they go under Romance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Horror Boobies Top 100.

That's a winner.
Rank #1 would go to the hairy, man-boobs of HDC's resident Viking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
When you say, "better to go with a top 100 list of individual/single soundtracks than entire OST albums", you mean single tracks that appear on a Movie Soundtrack Album, right?

I would suggest only the first three types be included because, a commercial song from a soundtrack (often a track from a regular commercial music album, as in the case of "Partytime"), is a rather separate entity from the film, sometimes only plays a couple seconds in the film, and sometimes is not heard in the film at all. I think any piece of music from a film really needs to be specifically bound to it.
Yes.

Quote:
Compilations?: Horror Film or Non-Horror Film or All Film:
I think the amount of single tracks for a Horror Film music compilation is likely more massive than you might imagine (the 3 examples above). I would recommend restricting to just Horror films. After that's completed, a Non-Horror could be attempted, and would be vast amount of material (imagine multiple single tracks for every film).
Confusion again. The Non-Horror Top 100 would be of films, not soundtracks.

------------------------

Here's my take - it would be sort of criminal to do the Movie Soundtracks without Neverending's inputs. Agreed that all of us could do it on our own and finish with a damn fine job, but that grumpster has been a part of all compilations till now, and I would rather have him aboard for this one. As it stands, I have started work on this so it stays postponed till he returns. What say?

Majority are in favor of the Non-Horror Top 100 so let's start on that. We start work tomorrow but be warned - choosing can be a tough ask. Better tighten those waist belts!
Old 04-26-2014, 02:44 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

Rank #1 would go to the hairy, man-boobs of HDC's resident Viking.

Well, if you like 'em flat chested and muscular then... sure, why the hell not.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:44 AM
Evil is Better

I like the non horror top 100 best

Old 04-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Misanthrope

Both sound like great ideas to me.

Quote:
I would suggest only the first three types be included because, a commercial song from a soundtrack (often a track from a regular commercial music album, as in the case of "Partytime"), is a rather separate entity from the film, sometimes only plays a couple seconds in the film, and sometimes is not heard in the film at all. I think any piece of music from a film really needs to be specifically bound to it.
Partytime is prominent in Return of the Living Dead along with the majority of the soundtrack. It wouldn't be the same film without it.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:27 PM
For Vendetta

Been doing some thinking.

Instead of dividing the non-horror films into specific genres to ensure equal representation in the final 100, it would be better to go for 100 of the absolute best, regardless of genres.

Like totem said earlier, most films criss-cross through genres, so specific/pure genre films could be hard to find.
Also, if we sit down to choose (for example) 10 of the best musicals but could come up with only 7-8, and had to insert 2-3 average/mediocre ones at the cost of an excellent action or sci-fi film, it would be grave injustice.

So, how do we start?

Let's start by listing our top 20 non-horror films. Non-horror means the film should not be a horror film, nor a murder-mystery, surreal, etc. IMDB serves as an excellent base to distinguish this but even they have some tagged mistakes - Silence of the Lambs, Oldboy, Donnie Darko, heck even Predator is not marked under horror!

So, keeping out the obvious ones, send me your chosen Top 20 Non-horror films via PM, or you can email me at [email protected] as well.

Non-horror genres:

Action/Crime/Thriller,
War/History/Biography,
Drama/Family/Sport,
Fantasy/Adventure,
Mystery/Film-Noir,
Musical,
Comedy,
Romance,
Sci-Fi,
Western,
Animation,
Documentary/Short.

Please don't post your Top 20 in this thread.

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-26-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Been doing some thinking.

Instead of dividing the non-horror films into specific genres to ensure equal representation in the final 100, it would be better to go for 100 of the absolute best, regardless of genres.

Like totem said earlier, most films criss-cross through genres, so specific/pure genre films could be hard to find.
Also, if we sit down to choose (for example) 10 of the best musicals but could come up with only 7-8, and had to insert 2-3 average/mediocre ones at the cost of an excellent action or sci-fi film, it would be grave injustice.

So, how do we start?

Let's start by listing our top 20 non-horror films. Non-horror means the film should not be a horror film, nor a murder-mystery, surreal, etc. IMDB serves as an excellent base to distinguish this but even they have some tagged mistakes - Silence of the Lambs, Oldboy, Donnie Darko, heck even Predator is not marked under horror!

So, keeping out the obvious ones, send me your chosen Top 20 Non-horror films via PM, or you can email me at [email protected] as well.

Non-horror genres:

Action/Crime/Thriller,
War/History/Biography,
Drama/Family/Sport,
Fantasy/Adventure,
Mystery/Film-Noir,
Musical,
Comedy,
Romance,
Sci-Fi,
Western,
Animation,
Documentary/Short.

Please don't post your Top 20 in this thread.
If a film is a science fiction, for example, that happens to be a horror movie, like Alien (1979), it cannot be included, correct? Also, Donnie Darko is grouped under horror as well?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Both sound like great ideas to me.

Partytime is prominent in Return of the Living Dead along with the majority of the soundtrack. It wouldn't be the same film without it.
I heartily agree, Elvis. Return the Living Dead was one of the best Horror films from the 80's, the punk songs gave the setting and scenes a "sense of punk", if you will - and that's why I chose it. I wanted an example most would know and appreciate -- and know upfront what we'd get with Type 4, and what we'd lose. For compilation/tournies, parameters have to be set, but one also makes adjustments/allowances that contribute to the goal. Maybe a punk song from RTLD would be appropriate as a standard, or an exception; part of those grey areas that come up.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
If a film is a science fiction, for example, that happens to be a horror movie, like Alien (1979), it cannot be included, correct? Also, Donnie Darko is grouped under horror as well?
Yes, correct. Alien cannot be included, and neither can any horror film criss-crossing genres.

Yep, Donnie Darko is surreal fantasy horror.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Yes, correct. Alien cannot be included, and neither can any horror film criss-crossing genres.

Makes sense.

Yeah, wasn't sure. I have seen it classified in different ways.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:28 PM
ventricle

Quote:

Oh! Glad I read this first. If I had to bet a $100 on which you meant, I would have bet you meant keep out the obvious Horror films, but we're allowing films that are half or more one of another genre.

For instance, if I worked at a movie store, and had to choose only between Sci-fi or Horror for Alien, most decidedly and without hesitation, I'd put it in Sci-fi. And I'd put Young Frankenstein in Comedy.

May I make the suggestion that we not include any obvious core and "over half" Horror. And we include films we discern to be core or mostly another genre, that may contain Horror elements. Then you can simply exclude the handful of films that popup. You can leave them alone, or you can offer them up for a vote.