Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-29-2023, 10:02 PM
Evil Dead

The Ape Man 1943 ★★

One of the lesser Lugosi flicks about a mad scientist who turns into a half man, half ape. But to be fair, he looks less like a monster and more like a hairy version of Mister Spock. The Wolf Man was released two years prior and at least that one gave us a transformation scene.

It's also less horror and more melodrama, even though the ape man and a 100% "monkey" go on a killing spree at one point. The cast looks uninspired and, at times, even Lugosi looks like he's phoning it in.
Old 07-02-2023, 01:52 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Blood and Black Lace 1964 ★★★★★

Great early giallo with everything you want from a horror movie:

A cool looking killer.

Epic and brutal kills that hold up even over fifty years after its release date.

An awesome reveal at the end I forgot about since my last viewing.

Gorgeous women, stylish men, cool looking cops,...

A groovy score.

And of course, stylish sets and colouring.

Five stars well deserved.

Night of the Living Dead 1968 ★★★★★

Thanks to the local art house theater for organising a screening of this classic.

In a cinema, you feel the dread more than in a living room. The paranoia between the people and how they turn on each other. Timely, with the covid memories still fresh. Ben as the voice of reason and Cooper as the selfish guy who does not help.

Not to mention the kills. I love how Savini realised a step up from the less gory kills from earlier horror (fifties and before). Of course, he was not the first one with brutal kills (Mario Bava, for one, paved the way), but it was certainly one of the first Hollywood classics that went this far with the gore. No coincidence that it was made off the radar of the big studios.

There is also the political dimension. This screening came with an introductory speech by a university professor on film history. She told us amongst others about the political climate in which Romero grew up – the age of the atom bomb – and about how this movie in a way reflected the era. Having that knowledge in the back of your mind, it's easy to think of the barricading of the house on more than one level. Is it to keep out the zombies or to protect you from the bomb? Or the interviews with the scientists and politicians contradicting each other. Again, timely.

Did I mention five star classic?
Indeed, a ***** classic! Again, for the $$ nd resources they didn't have, Romero and company really created something special.

I was able to see it in a theater a few times and it is creepier...maybe because all the people in the houses are strangers and You are surrounded by many strangers watching it on the big screen.

While people have called Karl Hardman's performance "Amateurish", I think He's pretty convincing. The look of total horror on his face as the escape attempt goes south is extremely convincing as well as his stammering about the fuse.

My wife likes it (not as much as I do) and while She could see both sides; staying upstairs to access the situation, but so many areas to watch VS staying in the cellar which would be safer, but no idea of what's going on. Her thought was go upstairs, bring some stuff and could always knock the zombies down the steps...You might even end up with a barricade of them preventing any others from reaching You and be able to check outside for help.
Old 07-02-2023, 01:59 AM
Evil Dead

THE TRIP (1967). Roger Corman films concerns filmmaker Peter Fonda, who is in a state of flux concerning his upcoming divorce from unfaithful wife (Susan Strassberg) and malaise over his career. Obviously, the best way to handle this is take LSD bought from Dennis Hopper and go on a trip with Bruce Dern babysitting You. After He takes the Acid, the rest of the film concerns itself with what Fonda is experiencing-including Angelo Rossitto (FREAKS, MAD MAX: BEYOND THUNDERDOME) as an evil dwarf and all sorts of panoramic colors. Script is by Jack Nicholson who would be in EASY RIDER a couple of years later withy Fonda and Hopper. And it seems both actors are prepping for ER as the word "Man" ends just about every sentence. Also a good appearance by Luana Anders (DEMENTIA 13 and also in EASY RIDER). ***
Old 07-03-2023, 05:10 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

Quote:
The Ape Man 1943 ★★

One of the lesser Lugosi flicks about a mad scientist who turns into a half man, half ape. But to be fair, he looks less like a monster and more like a hairy version of Mister Spock. The Wolf Man was released two years prior and at least that one gave us a transformation scene.

It's also less horror and more melodrama, even though the ape man and a 100% "monkey" go on a killing spree at one point. The cast looks uninspired and, at times, even Lugosi looks like he's phoning it in.
I agree.
Old 07-04-2023, 10:06 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Indeed, a ***** classic! Again, for the $$ nd resources they didn't have, Romero and company really created something special.

I was able to see it in a theater a few times and it is creepier...maybe because all the people in the houses are strangers and You are surrounded by many strangers watching it on the big screen.

While people have called Karl Hardman's performance "Amateurish", I think He's pretty convincing. The look of total horror on his face as the escape attempt goes south is extremely convincing as well as his stammering about the fuse.

My wife likes it (not as much as I do) and while She could see both sides; staying upstairs to access the situation, but so many areas to watch VS staying in the cellar which would be safer, but no idea of what's going on. Her thought was go upstairs, bring some stuff and could always knock the zombies down the steps...You might even end up with a barricade of them preventing any others from reaching You and be able to check outside for help.
Never gave it a lot of thought... but now that you mention it... going upstairs would be a good idea if they tore up the steps/staircase. The zombies wouldn't be able get to the second floor then.

They could use the wood from the steps to board up the windows. They could pull each other up, use a rope, or use a ladder that they could pull upstairs when they were all up there. Just kinda depends what was in the house.

Old 07-04-2023, 10:14 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Blood and Black Lace 1964 ★★★★★

Great early giallo with everything you want from a horror movie:

A cool looking killer.

Epic and brutal kills that hold up even over fifty years after its release date.

An awesome reveal at the end I forgot about since my last viewing.

Gorgeous women, stylish men, cool looking cops,...

A groovy score.

And of course, stylish sets and colouring.

Five stars well deserved.
Agreed, the beautiful lighting, colors, sets and shots really make it special. Everything is pretty chic. The acting is mostly well done and has a decent pace. The story, suspense and mystery are enough to support everything else.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:22 AM
Evil Dead

THE SWINGER (1966). Silly film of an aspiring writer (Ann-Margret who is lovely here and gives an effort) who, for some reason, wants to be published in a PLAYBOY-esque magazine . She buys a bunch of torrid romance novels and acts like an immoral drunken part girl to convince the editors She should be published, all the while keeping away from the lecherous men, because She is a "Good Girl". TS reminded very much of THREE'S COMPANY with all the innuendos and misunderstandings. Some event support by Tony Franciosa, although his character is a jerk as well as model Barbara Nichols and gorgeous Yvonne Romain (CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF). **
Old 07-05-2023, 06:12 AM
病気の

Been siiiiick and bed rotting. I found comfort in B&W and The British.

The Tower of London, 1962. 7/10

Directed by Roger Corman

Thumb resize.

The Reptile, 1966. 7/10

Directed by John Gilling

Night of the Eagle, 1962. 8/10

Directed by Sidney Hayers

Old 07-05-2023, 08:29 AM
ventricle

Spellbound (1945)
9/10

Psychological, mystery, crime, thriller and romance starring Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Excellent theremin filled musical score by Miklós Rózsa, the film winning the Oscar for Best Musical Score. Also filled with some trippy Salvador Dalí set designs for a jaw dropping dream sequence. The film tried to stay accurate with psychological detail.

Old 07-05-2023, 09:38 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaeKwonZombie View Post
I agree.
Why the shock?