Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies

Old 08-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Evil Dead

Anyone did 50s and 50s-type sci-fi, daddios?

I love goofy invasion movies, especially th ones that are basically horror movies--you know, guys in rubber suits chasing girls. Anyone got any favorites? Some of mine....

The Blob, It: The Terror From Beyond Space, Forbidden Planet, This Island Earth, It Came From Outer Space, The Thing From Another World, Invisible Invaders, The Creeping Unknown, Queen of Blood, Teenagers From Outer Space...and how about the far-out zanies like Devil Girl From Mars and Cat Women on the Moon? Anybody else got any favorites?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Banned

You can't leave out classics like The Day the Earth Stood Still and Invasion of the Body Snatchers! I predict that one day soon there will be a big-budget remake of one or both of these flicks. Oh, and the original Blob was awesome. The monster invading the movie theater while all the kids were watching horror flicks was genious(did I spell that right?). It must have creeped out the actual movie audiences back in the day.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar shane
You can't leave out classics like The Day the Earth Stood Still and Invasion of the Body Snatchers! I predict that one day soon there will be a big-budget remake of one or both of these flicks.
Yes, I think you're probably right. But is it just me or are rubber suits a lot more "suitable" for this type stuff than CGIs?

I love Gort in Day the Earth Stood Still. Ever see the episode of Freaks and Geeks when Sam went trick or treating in a cardboard box with tinfoil on it and said he was Gort? Great stuff.

I always felt sorry for the poor old bastard in The Blob who got the goo stuck on his hand.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Banned

There was a movie called "The Tingler", I think it may have starred Vincent Price, with a spider-like monster in it that sent tingles up it's victims' spines before it killed them, anyway- I read that as a publicity stunt and to heighten the movie goers' experience, certain seats in the theaters were equipped with devices that vibrated, or"tingled", and people were planted in the audience to jump up and scream"Oh my God, it's on me!!!!!" or whatever, during the climax of the film when Price turned to the camera and informed the crowd that the creature may be loose in the building. Never seen it, but I remember reading about it as a kid. I doubt those types of wacky hijinks would fly these days, but it's an interesting concept.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Evil Dead

Yeah, crazy William Castle actually wired the seats in the theaters showing The Tingler to shock people. Great stuff. Check out the DVD of his original 13 Ghosts---it comes with these little red-lensed glasses call Ghost Viewers that enable you to see the ghosts in the movie. I love that stuff. In the original House on Haunted Hill, he sent fake ghosts flying out over the audience. Man, I wish I hadn't missed out on stuff like that.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:49 AM
HOMBRE MALO

GOOFY Horror

I guess I was lucky.
Back in the early 90's when I got my first VCR They were running that stuff all night--Three to a tape and every commercial was for a telephone sex line!
"The Tingler" did star Vincent Price, and the TINGLER looked like a giant grubworm which attached itself to one's spine--and when someone screamed the tingler died.
One old lady was unable to speak or scream and they fished a live tingler out of her back--ugh.

"The House on Haunted Hill" was good too--An indoor pool full of acid--the corrosive kind
"The Bat" with Agnes Moorhead (Endora) and Vincent Price was also great.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:57 AM
Evil Dead

Re: GOOFY Horror

Quote:
Originally posted by juanhacko
I guess I was lucky.
Back in the early 90's when I got my first VCR They were running that stuff all night--Three to a tape and every commercial was for a telephone sex line!
"The Tingler" did star Vincent Price, and the TINGLER looked like a giant grubworm which attached itself to one's spine--and when someone screamed the tingler died.
One old lady was unable to speak or scream and they fished a live tingler out of her back--ugh.

"The House on Haunted Hill" was good too--An indoor pool full of acid--the corrosive kind
"The Bat" with Agnes Moorhead (Endora) and Vincent Price was also great.
You may just be my favorite member. Itz nice to see another Vincent Price fan around here.

My faves would be all the Vincent Price ones mentioned, plus:

The Blob
Teenage Zombies
Horror Express
Any Godzilla Movie

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." – Dr. Seuss

"Someone called actors 'sculptors in snow.' Very apt. In the end, it's all nothing." – Vincent Price

The Oldest and Stongest Emotion of Man is Fear- H.P Lovecraft

Six bottles went down the drain
One hour's a waste of time
I'd ask if you feel the same
Still pushin that chance to try
Your breath in this cool room chill
Long hair that blows side to side
You speak and make time stand still
And each time you walk right on by
Old 08-11-2004, 06:26 AM
Fear scented candle

I love any and allmovies shown on MST3K. Okay, well , most of them.

Didnt teenagers from outer space have a lame-assed, inexplicable "twist" at the end when the good guy suddenly, for no reason, turns into a bad guy?
Old 08-15-2004, 04:59 AM
valblood

A lot of joyous moments and memories from 50's sci-fi.

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
WAR OF THE WORLDS
THIS ISLAND EARTH
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
CONQUEST OF SPACE
INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS (as others have stated)