Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
nwe432

Look sorry not trying to cause trouble. Just gotta remember sometimes this is a forum not real life.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwe432 View Post
Look sorry not trying to cause trouble. Just gotta remember sometimes this is a forum not real life.
You're right, too often in real life the art of conversation is overlooked. I'll have a go at recommending some rad shit to you but it's hard because just like real life, you just "walked in" and I don't know what you like. Try listing five or ten of your favorite flicks and what you're looking for.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Hellraiser

Send a message via Yahoo to triciakitty Send a message via Skype™ to triciakitty
Pi

If you lke Requiem for a Dream, you may like PI- same director, Darren Aronofsky (did I spell that right? haha). Not horror but definitely an interesting movie. I also watched a movie the other day called "Grindhouse Road" that was pretty good. That is considered horror. An older film called "Spider Baby"- from the 60's- was good. Sid Haig plays a mentally retearded guy and does an excellent job! Good luck on your search!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciakitty View Post
An older film called "Spider Baby"- from the 60's- was good.
VERY good movie and one no horror fan should pass up.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwe432 View Post
Keep telling yourself that....
Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Evil Dead

nwe432. Take the shit like a man. Honestly, it's just an online forum. Don't worry about it, fuck.

It's a good community, I've not been here long, but I've demonstrated that I can type coherent sentences, and can spell words correctly. Once the regulars here discovered that, it was just a matter of getting acclimated.

I will say there're many here who have a healthy respect for the Horror Classics. I think that's awesome. I also am willing to give one or two a try myself, being new to them. Of course they're not my top priority, but I'm still going to give one or two a try.

The people here seem pretty damned good actually, compared to other places I've been. So relax and take it all in stride. Hopefully you'll decide to hang around.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Here is a thread which was made to cater to people with "specific personal preferences" :-

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33002

And also all the other stickys combined, and we are talking about 500+ of the best in horror, as decided by the best minds and critics here at HDC.

And, what did you have to say about that? Read below...

Like you said, you have been through ALL the Stickys and didnt find even ONE movie to fit your umm..."unique tongue", shall we say? :rolleyes:

And can you blame em for treating you the way they did, after you say THAT?

I think Chrono's comprehensive effort earlier above in this thread was a very good attempt at guiding you to some of the recommendation threads.

Yet your reply seems like you were totally regardless of the GENUINE efforts at guiding you at some of the best recs in HDC.

As for ribbing, every noob in every forum goes through it. Its not like anyone cussed you out or said any expletives in their posts...all they did was have some fun, which you realise yourself too, and bam! comes the reply ^ above. How can you expect anyone to help you with your "personalised unique selective (arrogant) taste" after all that?

Consider it carefully.

We here at HDC help out and ease in every new fan of horror. Unfortunately, once they find out their answers, they run and dont bother showing up again. Its happened so many times since the time HDC was made, that we have thinned out on accomodating any noobs who was first-timers in horror now.

There are stickies, there are threads...read em, and select your "particular choices". If none of these work, I suggest visiting a shrink who deals in "particular movie-watching habits".

Good Luck, "connoisseur" of "unique and particular" taste in movie-watching.
I am SO in love with you. :D

nwe432 - We appreciate a n00b who is new to the horror genre reaching out, but you honestly have NO idea how many times people join the forum, ask for movies TO FIT THEIR EXACT TASTE and then leave.

It's like waking up the morning after to an empty bed and your wallet's gone and you have clamidia.

DON'T GIVE US ANY MORE CLAMIDIA.

But seriously. Take a good look at the sub-genre thread. I've used it a few times to beef up my Netflix queue (introduced me to Spider Baby, Dog Soldiers, and Tenebre, to name a few). Going by sub-genres is a really good place to start.

Looking at the movies you listed in your first post, you're naming big budget horror which, generally, I absolutely hate.

If you're looking for some indie horror movies, you should check out:
  • Session 9
  • Mulberry Street
  • Crazy Eights
  • May
  • Borderland
  • Bug
  • FEAST
  • Cloverfield

You seem to like Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth). Based on that, check out:
  • The Devil's Backbone (not necessarily horror, it's more gothic but it's gorgeous and compelling; I actually liked it a lot better than Pan's Labyrinth)
  • The Orphanage (this one I think you'll probably really like)

Other foreign horror favorites of mine:
  • The Host
  • Audition
  • Gozu (very Lynch-like)
  • Three... Extremes
  • Inside
  • Ils (Them)
  • Zombie II (it's Italian, but English-language)

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
nwe432. Take the shit like a man. Honestly, it's just an online forum. Don't worry about it, fuck.

It's a good community, I've not been here long, but I've demonstrated that I can type coherent sentences, and can spell words correctly. Once the regulars here discovered that, it was just a matter of getting acclimated.

I will say there're many here who have a healthy respect for the Horror Classics. I think that's awesome. I also am willing to give one or two a try myself, being new to them. Of course they're not my top priority, but I'm still going to give one or two a try.

The people here seem pretty damned good actually, compared to other places I've been. So relax and take it all in stride. Hopefully you'll decide to hang around.
N00b!

:D
Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I am SO in love with you. :D

Gimme some sugar, baby! :cool:
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Chrono's Lesbian Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Gimme some sugar, baby! :cool:
Wow chrono sure gets around....:)
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.