Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Misanthrope

Been looking forward to seeing The Innkeepers for awhile now. Will be giving it a watch tonight. Love the poster artwork and I'm keen to see how Ti West has progressed.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
No, fuck YOU

"Drive" 8/10

Can't say it's the best flick of 2011 i've sen coz... Insidious, of course.

But damn, what an odd movie. Not the story. The story was good. The acting was terrefic.

It was the feel. The pacing, Goslings character, the soundtrack. I guess the best word i can find for it would be... sedated.

If Scorsese had made "Drive" i'm sure it would have become an action flick. But with Refn i got a weird mix of drama, thriller with a bit of action here and there. But most of all it was a drama, to me. And to me the highlights of this movie was the driver together with the family next door. They were all just adorable and the chemistry between Gosling and Mulligan was wonderful. And the driver.. now there's a character you'll remember.

And the ending... PUSHER!!!! :D
Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
"Drive" 8/10

Can't say it's the best flick of 2011
I can :D

It blew me through the back wall of the theatre!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Dang, I already wanted to see this bigtime, but with your and Roshiq's great reviews, now I can't wait. Keen to see what you think of it, Elvis.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Pirate of Bengal

50/50 (2011)

One of the Best (more of a drama than comedy) of 2011, IMO. A quite emotionally moving story. Recommended.

>>: A

MOH: Pick Me Up (2005)

>>: B-

Last edited by roshiq; 01-16-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM
No, fuck YOU

"The presence" 2/10

Ugh.. that's bad horror.

Must be the dullest character Shane West will ever get to play.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:08 PM
No, fuck YOU

"The Task" 7/10

Pretty good watch. Entertaining.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Demon from Ago

Immortals 4/10

Not much substance really, bad acting... other the other hand it did have some good death scenes.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Evil Dead

'The Countess' It had a few creepy moments but not enough scares on the whole. Better as a historical drama than a horror movie but worth a watch. They did a good job with the dialouge, it's not too stilted or old sounding but it's not so modern as to be overly anachronistic.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
For Vendetta

I haven't seen the original TV film of the 70s, so I sat down to watch this with a pretty open mind and no expectations. I am sure Del Toro's film is superior than the original technically and in production values, but something was missing. Like two stones striking each other with repeated sparks but failing to ignite a fire.

The premise was great, and perfect fodder for a remake (I can imagine how the original must be like). And the creature design was old school Del Toro as well (can see the Fairy impression carried over from Hellboy II).

But atmospheric horror films depend heavily on one important characteristic - the performance of it's lead actors. The girl was wooden and plain - even when she was scared and crying in Katie Holmes' arms it was a very unconvincing act, and somehow I didn't feel she was afraid enough. Guy Pearce literally sleepwalked through the entire film carrying just one expression - what the hell am I doing here?

The only performances of some semblance came from Katie Holmes (who outdid herself, IMO) and the guy who played the lead restorer (and falls victim). The rest of the cast was competent. Maybe that was why, even when the setting was so gothic, gloomy and dark, it just didn't have enough atmosphere. Even the background score failed to add anything to the proceedings.

A good potential wasted by nonchalant performances, IMO. Otherwise it could have been a nice little scarefest to watch after midnight.

Rated - * *