Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Scares Little Kids

Searching an insane book

I'm searching an insane book with dense, psychedelic atmosphere. For now I can say that Graham Masterton and Stephen King aren't accurate. I've read "Black Angel", I was hoping, that this is "it". The scene of torture when madman was torturing a family was very dense, I hoped that it will be like "Zodiac" movie, but it started to be shity, seriously ectoplasm delivered by bird from part of the body to demon and demon showed on hand, monster dodging 30 bullets isn't scary/ atmospheric but just pathetic. I've read "It" too, but "It" isn't "it" too ;). In movies I too had to go through popular pieces and now I know some less popular, but more atmospheric movies like "Imprint", Schramm, Fraugenfangis (I liked one actor - who was laughing all the time because of hebefrenic schizophrenia), Der Todesking, Begotten (very dense atmosphre), Gvozdi (Nails), First, second, third part of Saw had too very intense atmosphere (I know, that now it's like hostel - just torture and nothing more), Rakkî sukai daiamondo (I loved first few minutes when woman was laying on hospital bed being very deeply drugged and she saw maggots in a drip, heard voices etc. I want to read a book with kind of similar atmosphere:

It doesn't need to be scary it has to be dense, psychedelic, spiritual trip to deepest parts of mad mind.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Demon from Ago

Do you know a book that would help describe what you are looking for, I've never seen any of those movies. You tried Clive Barker yet? Some of his stuff can get pretty weird and psychodelic.Umm... The Return by Bentley Little. Poppy Z. Brite or Elizabeth Massie. Carlton Mellick III or Brian Keene. John Skipp. Joe R. Lansdale. Strangewood by Christopher Golden. Richard Laymon. I just trying to think of anyone who I think may be up your alley.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Wanna Join?

William Burroughs maybe, THE NAKED LUNCH.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 05-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfear View Post
William Burroughs maybe, THE NAKED LUNCH.
Good one sfear, didn't even think of that one. Don't consider it horror but it definitely has some horrible images in it.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM
From The Beyond

Iain Banks The Wasp Factory and Complicity are good for horrific imagery-I agree that Clive Barker is more metaphysical and pychedelic
Old 05-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Scares Little Kids

give Infected by Scott Sigler a look...

have you seen any korean flicks before?
Oldboy, I Saw the Devil, Chaser..
Awesome stuff, just have to read it. Takes away from the film when you use the english dub.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 AM
♥ Xenomorph Love ♥

Uhm, this may be way off . . . but, what about A Clockwork Orange?