Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2019, 02:21 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Ok. I was just curious about the source of the other reviews. I've searched here before.

I think it's difficult to do day scenes well in horror movies. A movie like the original Nightmare on Elm Street is good with the day scenes because the night / dream world is still present and you know the characters fear the coming of the night and dreams. It's like that town that dreaded sundown line in Scream. And of course the actual movie. Also of course the saying the freaks come out at night. I think there is a line in X-Files about how humans have always feared the night. Or how you don't realize how dark the night is without lights.

What are the line crossers?
Not too many films stay in the dark or nighttime all film... probably Decent stays dark, but like Alien on a ship, it's just a set. Nightmare on Elm naturally is cool because, like you say, we get to feel safe during the day, it's a good breather, but the night still looms.

In one fake movie preview after Planet Terror they show a dinning room with some kids around the table, and the last scene shows the deranged killer working the backend of a turkey with the kids in the shot. The parents of the actors can choose to be ok with that, but I don't think it should be in films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Halloween (1978).I think I touched on this before, but when I was quite young I never paid Halloween or it's sequels too much mind.
They were slower, and less visually ?unusual? than the kind of horror I'd been exposed to as a child, things like Hellraiser, NOES, The Thing, and the evil dead (thank you, parents.)
For these reasons I was never really into it, as a kid, for me different things drove my lower attention span.
Things like atmosphere, well done pacing, set up, dialogue, musical score all sadly took a back seat - and these factors are exactly what this movie had going for it. When I watched it a little later down the line in my mid teens, I kind of started to "get it" to a point. Maybe appreciate it a little more.
I can see how you got used to that quicker pace with the 80s. I grew up with the decidedly slow pace of 70's horror and drama. But there's a lot to work with in there, of course, and Halloween uses it.

Quote:
I consider 1&2 pretty much a double feature, and they do stand quite seperate in style from what was to follow.
I'll always love how H2 takes off the second after H1. The new director captured some of the aspects of what Carpenter was doing, but regarding the slower 70's drama aspects it certainly does not.

Quote:
All in all, it's a simple story - and "not much happens".
But a lot going for it that set it apart from the films of around that time...some interesting camera work and spanning like "follow" kind of shots. Not to mention the villain perspective stuff (did they do that in the others? I feel like they didn't). One nice early example of "jump scare", and not many more...you know...sparingly, like it should be. The excellent musical score and the pacing of it in so many scenes really just, it still manages to build atmosphere for all the time that's past and how far movies have come...this still puts you in an almost vulnerable state.
With the brilliant subtlety of Jamie Lee Curtis, we get to respect, like, and most importantly know Laurie and her setting. And then Carp sets all the aspects of the atmosphere: pace, shots, lighting, music and sound -- some of the most notable were well placed silences, like with Michael looking at his new wall hanging, and the heavy breathing coming from all sides with close proximity when Laurie is sitting in the living room, it's disorientating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningriser View Post
Split

I have tried watching this twice now and I just can't get into it. I don't know what it is but this movie just completely rubs me the wrong way and how this thing is the most popular horror movie on popcorn time right now I have no clue.
Split is no doubt popular now because of the sequel coming out (Glass), there's no other reason. Split is a weird film, it feels disjointed in the way it combines different film pastiches, and jumps the mood and atmosphere of the preceding scene. Maybe since it's 'Split' that's intentional.

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-23-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 PM
Banned

I'm just not a big fan of M Night Shyamalan. This is a unpopular opinion, but I found the sixth sense to be vastly overrated.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:23 PM
ventricle

Quote:
I'm just not a big fan of M Night Shyamalan. This is a unpopular opinion, but I found the sixth sense to be vastly overrated.
I really loved 6th Sense. Horror with heart and character development. How can it be? I think it's a masterpiece. Not super impressed with anything else though. He really hasn't hit on anything else. I liked Signs, and was entertained by Unbreakable, The Village and The Last Airbender. That's about it.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:17 PM
Banned

Did you ever watch the avatar animated series? That movie infuriated me. Like I couldn't even finish it just because of how insulting the writing, acting and casting was. I am so glad they only made that one and they didn't make the other two.

Last edited by Morningriser; 01-23-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:12 AM
病気の

Ghost Ship, 2002. 7/10

Director: Steve Beck

Thumb resize.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:27 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Did you ever watch the avatar animated series? That movie infuriated me. Like I couldn't even finish it just because of how insulting the writing, acting and casting was. I am so glad they only made that one and they didn't make the other two.
Nope, never seen it. Actually I don't remember the film that well, but that's probably why I was ok with it. It got panned for sure, but it doubled its budget. Probably one of the few money makers that won't get a sequel because of being panned. They could get a different director, but I don't know if the film left any of the story left. I read many even complained it was too short at 90mins, but in the context that too much of the original story was left out completely, or left to narration instead. Did you watch the animated series? What did you think that?

Last edited by Sculpt; 01-24-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Scholar

i just watched Ghost Ship on Netflix
Old 01-24-2019, 01:27 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
i just watched Ghost Ship on Netflix
What'd think of it?

Old 01-24-2019, 03:18 PM
That fucking Guy...

Halloween 2018
Well...Didn't hate it.

Preferred it to most other of the numbered sequels, though I probably still have a spot in my heart for H20 (just not what came after).

I get what people say when they talk about it being a bit heavy on the comedy...most of that felt pretty pointless, and didn't add much to the film, though I have to say it didn't hugely take away from it either - the atmosphere and sense of urgency was there when it needed to be.

I feel like proper respect was given here.
There was homage throughout but it never really felt "on the nose".

Quite similar to the first one actually, and I feel like maybe that was intentional. They kept it largely in the same tone, and "not much happened", it was just the story of an(other) escape by a single minded enigmatic inhuman predator that was just drawn to kill...almost like he was just on "pause" until the events of this installment, and he did show that he was capable of forethought and planning, and of course...human but not.
I prefer this version of "invincible", in which he just doesn't really acknowledge pain and damage.

I felt quite sympathetic to this version of Laurie...who'd become both stronger and weaker at the same time...lost basically everything, her family, much of a "real life" due to the damage done by the events of the first film.

The showdown it all lead to, like the first one was wrapped up fairly quickly but made for an interesting watch.
How it ended was unexpected...not sure if or how they could follow that.

It was a competent follow up, and I feel like anyone who enjoyed the style of the original film, may like this one better than the original sequels too.

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 01-24-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 PM
Evil Dead

FARGO (1996). Very strange, very funny Coen Bros flick with most of the laughs coming from Steve Buscemi's abrasive whiny character...the look on his face at the airport parking lot after all the aggravation he's had recently is priceless.

Have wondered about this next scene and any thoughts would be appreciated. When Wiliam H Macy goes to "...talk to My boss" to appease the angry buyer. he stops by the breakroom and sees someone watching a Hockey game and asks if the guy has a spare ticket. Is he just killing time or do You think, as I do, he was going to offer the ticket as a bribe so Customer will take the car with the "True Coat"? ****

Tags
movie