Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2020, 12:51 AM
Evil Dead

A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE (2007). Really good Cronenberg about what might be a case of mistaken identity...or not. Viggo Mortensen is excellent here. ****
Old 04-20-2020, 05:23 AM
Living Dead

Johnny Frank Garrett's Last Word (2016), directed by Simon Rumley.
Inner Demons (2014), directed by Seth Grossman.
Dead Awake (2016), directed by Phillip Guzman.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:20 AM
Evil Dead

Hereditary, 2018 - 9/10
Suspiria, 2018 - 7/10

Both rewatches. Suspiria is beautiful and for the most part engaging, but is let down by excessive time spent on side plots and historical context that in no way relate meaningfully to the main story.

Hereditary has, in my opinion, only one flaw, which is Gabriel Byrne's weak father character who seems very one dimensional for such a complex, thought through film.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:03 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by favabeans View Post
Hereditary, 2018 - 9/10
Suspiria, 2018 - 7/10

Both rewatches. Suspiria is beautiful and for the most part engaging, but is let down by excessive time spent on side plots and historical context that in no way relate meaningfully to the main story.

Hereditary has, in my opinion, only one flaw, which is Gabriel Byrne's weak father character who seems very one dimensional for such a complex, thought through film.
Suspiria had me perplexed at first, but i loved the way that it pulled together as it went. the extraneous content may not have been there to support the plot but it very much added texture and pacing.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:49 PM
病気の

Lilja 4-ever, 2002. 9/10

Director: Lukas Moodysson

Thumb resize.

@suicide room, 2011. 9/10

Director: Jan Komasa

Mandragora, 1997. 9/10

Director: Wiktor Grodecki

I felt like having my heart ripped out and my guts spill to the floor...

Such amazing but devastating cinema.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:44 PM
This is a test

BREATH AKA RESPIRA 2019

A man moves his family to a small village to take a job as a crop duster but things just dont work out.

It was ok. Not scary. Thought i might see some mutants. Didn't.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:55 AM
Living Dead

Ghostland (2018), directed by Pascal Laugier.

Based on the title, I expected a typical ghost story and I was wrong. There is an eerie tone present from the beginning that grabbed my attention. The story shows us how we can create different realities to ease the pain. It's surely disturbing and quite intense. I'm sorry for the actress, Taylor Hickinson, who was facially disfigured during the shooting and now is permanently scarred. However, I must say, her acting was convincing and it was one of the factors that makes this movie truly creepy and hopeless.

Last edited by Maila Munster; 04-21-2020 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:55 AM
That fucking Guy...

Terminator 2.
I've been showing my young lady these, we've got her to the point she'll actually sit through things, so why not.
She actually had her first like outright emotional response to a movie, of course, the thumbs up scene.
So anyway...if you haven't got it...I'd suggest a BluRay pick up right now.
The "Brand new Digital Restoration" one.
I'd seen a special edition directors cut thing before that had a couple of extra scenes thrown in.
This one comes with the "extended special edition" version.

For starters, from my childhood to now I still find this a phenomenal film that hit heights far higher than anything to follow it...It had been a good 8-9 years since I'd seen it last, so it was somewhat fresh again which was cool.
I don't need to throw in any more about this. It's Terminator 2.

Though yeah...the version we watched with the (even more) extra scenes integrated into the film was amazing. The stuff that was missing...I get how sometimes people hate directors cut versions or watch extras and go "I get it", and it's easy to see why some things get left out for pacing etc.
Not in this case.
Maybe it was a budget thing? Bit of both? Maybe considered "too much" for an action film? Who knows.
But the stuff is good.
There was even an alternate ending or, extra bit...which actually ends the movie, and franchise pretty well.
Maybe that's why they didn't go with it...

Anyhow look, if you like the movie, see this version.
I think it makes for a richer film experience and a slightly more emotionally weighted storyline.
Showing it's age a little to be sure, but it's still Cameron at his best.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:26 AM
Living Dead

[

Last edited by Amaltheaunicorn; 04-21-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:55 PM
That fucking Guy...

Watched the new CHILDS PLAY.

I'd kind of dreaded it a little bit...the originals were something from my childhood that kind of stuck with me, well, at least the first two.

I'd heard a lot of negative stuff about this one - and didn't have a great deal of interest in seeing it, but saw that it was on Amazon and figured I'd check it out.

I thought it was ok.
It's definitely not as dark/mature in content as the original was, and there was a bit more emphasis on comedy.
Fair enough, that didn't make it shit, just different in tone.
On its own I think it's some competent entry level horror, and maybe that's what worked against it in perception...that they made it kind of attached to this franchise that it barely resembled aside from "there is a doll of some description".
I thought it was funny that the machine seemed to enjoy taunting people a little bit as well.

It's...yeah as I said above...it's ok.
It's not a bad film, and while I don't see anyone thinking it was better than the original, I'd caution not to judge too harshly prior to seeing it.
It was not un-enjoyable.

My only issue...the thing I found missing, was the thing it did differently.
There was no actual personality...it was just a malfunctioning unit, with a few personality traits that were part of the same malfunction.

There was...just...not enough evil...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcGLveebwjo

Last edited by cheebacheeba; 04-21-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Tags
movie