Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Evil Dead

The General in his Labyrinth by Gabriel García Márquez.

Fantastic read. Márquez is always fucking amazing. This is a somewhat fictional accounting of the last year or so of Simón Bolívar's life. It has him reflecting on his past, what the future will be. Has a dreamlike feel to the story, which Márquez is known for. I highly recommend it. 8/10
Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 AM
Evil Dead

Old 10-12-2015, 08:32 AM
No Tears Please...

About half way through The Dead Sea Games. Pretty legit Zombie book. I have read a ton and its one of the few that takes a look at a post zombie apocalypse in New York city, but there is no hope of winning or getting away. It concentrates on a group who managed to survive what they call the emergency and are now living on the rooftops as the never ending sea of the dead flows through the streets below. Its pretty damn good.

The People (short story) ---- http://www.inkitt.com/stories/10686

Trapped (Short Story) ---- https://www.inkitt.com/stories/horror/624905

The End : A Short Glimpse (Flash Fiction) --- https://www.inkitt.com/stories/horror/624912

Fear Awakens (novel) ----- Recently Restarted
Old 10-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Horror > Everything

Guillermo Del Toro, Cabinet of Curiosities
Old 10-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Hellraiser

you know what is odd.... I really dont read books (i live sports and basically read sports articles and such).

but i am going to take down a bunch of these that are intriguing!!! hopefully i can get involved more with the books (especially scary stories)!!!

the odd thing is that I love writing and over past year have been writing many different short stories that I am still working through, tweaking up, and writing new ones as well. Odd that I dont really read others.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
Guillermo Del Toro, Cabinet of Curiosities
is this written by Guillermo Del Toro??? definitely will be my first one i get!!!
Old 10-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Scares Little Kids

A Headful of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

Like me on Facebook!

Follow me on Twitter!

"The Knocking" available now for Amazon Kindle
Old 10-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Evil Dead

What Strange Stars and Skies by Avram Davidson

A collection of Davidson's short stories. He's very adept at writing how people speak or what they say for various parts of the world. He's one of those writers that knew so much information and could play with it in his stories. This particular collection of stories were either humorous and fun or very dark. If you haven't read his short stories you must! 8/10

The Cipher by Kathe Koja

A reread for me. Basically a nothing guy and his sometimes lover find a hole in the storage closet of his building. Light shining into it reveals nothing, its just there. Obviously things happen involving "The Fun Hole." Koja is one of my favorite writers. Her stories and characters are enthralling; the writing is insanely good. This book is all about horror. 9.5/10 Here's a quote from the book I typed up for my quote file:

“Gone as usual in the morning, and me left behind and naked, inner thighs lightly scaled with the dried spoor of our lovemaking: she liked to stay on top afterward and let the juice run down, and I liked whatever she liked. Imagining in the shower that I could smell her still, the angular scent of those secret bones, had she always smelled so fierce and good? Recalling those gone times, old memories lit by the fire of the new, I did not this time wonder how long it would last; I was too smart for that now. Take what you get, and don't think. Of course it could never be that easy, but there were moments, like now, that I could successfully pretend that it was, and I had no inclination to try to peer past those moments. I'm not one who wants to know the future: at the best it spoils the present, with longing or dismay, and at the worst, well. Who really wants to find out how tight the sling is, for your very own personal ass, who wants to know how deep the shit will really be? Not you. Not me either. Because its rarely ever bliss saved up, is it, when you finally get there. I'll take my now, waking with a lover's scent still on me, around me, take my hopes before they're maybe tragedy; a good morning, even if it leads to apocalypse at night.”
---Kathe Koja The Cipher
Old 10-23-2015, 03:11 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLO View Post
is this written by Guillermo Del Toro??? definitely will be my first one i get!!!
OLO, I recommend this highly. It's a visual history of Del Toro's work and it's an amazing book. Illustrations and pics fill every page. Check it out for sure if you're a fan.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:01 AM
Evil Dead

Don't know if these count as books, but straightening out my cluttered office and found a lot of my old monster magazines..good memories, but a SHITLOAD of FANGORIA's!