Old 06-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Jaded

Young man loses fight for his life after beating at party

Two families are mourning the death of Eric Douglas Kolstad: the victim's family and the suspect's family.

Jacob Eugene Larson, 23, of Bloomington, was charged Tuesday with assault in the first degree causing great bodily harm. But that was before Kolstad died, "I want to say this is all shocking to me," says Shelly Newberg, Larson's mother.

St. Paul Police say Larson and Kolstad got into a verbal argument at a house party at 375 E. Maryland Ave. early Sunday morning.

"It's really hard to say what might have caused it," says Ramsey County Attorney Susan Gaertner. "It sounds like a mix of alcohol, partying, acting tough and a very serious loss of control by the defendant."

According to the criminal complaint, one witness saw Larson kneeling over Kolstad in the living room, delivering "power punches" to his head. The witness says Larson hit him at least three to five times, and the victim appeared to be unconscious and lying on the floor.

Several people carried Kolstad to the front yard. According to one witness, Larson said, "That dude was in my face earlier talking a lot of trash." Other witnesses heard him say, "I only hit the guy a couple of times."

Larson and a friend did drive Kolstad to Regions Hospital.

When questioned by police, Larson denied his involvement and said people at the party tried to blame him for the assault. He allegedly told one investigator, "I love to punch people. I love to get into fights, but last night was not one of those nights."

Shelly Newberg says she does not know if her son is responsible, but she says her heart and prayers are with the Kolstad family.

"I am sickened by this whole episode of events and I clearly feel horrible about what has happened to your son," she says.

Kolstad was in critical condition Tuesday night. His family apparently made the decision to remove life support on Wednesday. Kolstad died a short time later.

"There is no fuckin' ice cream in your fuckin' future." -Otis
"Once in a while ya get shown the light, in the strangest of places if ya look at it right." -RH&JG
"Do your best, fuck the rest." -Me
"Onward, through the fog..." -Me

Last edited by monalisa; 06-21-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Jaded

Update

A Bloomington man has been charged with second-degree murder after allegedly beating a man while at a party on St. Paul's east side last Saturday.

Jacob Eugene Larson, 23, could face up to 40 years in prison for the beating death of Eric Douglas Kolstad, who died Wednesday at Regions Hospital.

Yikes! Watch your temper!

"There is no fuckin' ice cream in your fuckin' future." -Otis
"Once in a while ya get shown the light, in the strangest of places if ya look at it right." -RH&JG
"Do your best, fuck the rest." -Me
"Onward, through the fog..." -Me