Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 PM
The Countess

Send a message via Yahoo to Marya Zaleska
The Unholy Three

The Unholy Three (1930)

The Unholy Three starred Lon Chaney Senior. It was made as a silent film in 1925 and again as a talking film in 1930. The 1930 version was the only sound film Lon Chaney, Senior made and it was his last film . He died shortly thereafter at age 47.

The cast includes:

Lon Chaney, Sr as Professor Echo, a ventriliquist/ Grandma O'Grady
Lila Lee as Rosie O'Grady
Elliot Nugent as Hector McDonald
Harry Earles as Tweedledee, aka Willie The Midget
Ivan Linow as Hercules The Strongman
John Miljan as The Prosecuting Attorney
Clarence Burton as Det. Regan

The film was directed by Tod Browning (the director of Freaks)

Three sideshow performers leave there lives of captivity after a child is assaulted at one of their sideshows.

The group becomes known as The Unholy Three.

Professor Echo , the ventriliquist assumes the role of Mrs O'Grady, a kindly old grandmother who runs a bird shop. Tweedledee, the midget becomes her grandson and Hercules the strongman becomes their assistant.

From this bird shop, Echo disguised as a little old lady launches a crime wave with the help of the other two, namely a series of Park Avenue jewel robberies.

Rosie (Echo's sweetheart) plays along with the group until their latest robbery ends up in a murder and threathens rto send an innocent man ( Rosie's lover) to the electric chair.

At the trial Echo dressed as Mrs O'Grady answers questions but on one of the answers he gets excited and he uses his actual voice by mistake which then uncovers his identity.

In the end Rosies lover Hector McDonald is set free and Echo is sentnced to jail.

When leaving on the train for imprisonment, Echo wishes well to Rosie and Hector.

Though not technically a horror movie, this is a very fine thriller type movie. It is a classic in it's own way.

I have seen only the sould movie not the silent, but when available I definitely want to get a copy and watch it, comparing the two.

Lon Chaney, Sr, as in all of his movies, is terriffic.

Leonard Maltin rates this one 2 1/2 stars. I would go at least three rather than 4 stars , since this was an early sound film and at times it can seem a little "hammy".

This film does come on TCM and I would encourage you to record it. Hopefully it may come out on DVD. Many of Cheney, Sr's film have.

It's a great film. DON'T miss it!

Well, I'm available if they make a remake for the role of Echo/ Mrs. O'Grady. As you can tell from my picture, I have the art of impersonating "Old Ladies" down pat.

Might get an Academy Award as Best Actress! Lol!

Countess Marya, Your Hostess To The Supernatural

The Countess
Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Undead

Chaney

I have a copy of this, mostly just for its curiosity value. I mean, Chaney Sr. in a talkie for goodness sake! Haven't watched it in years but remember being quite struck by the effective use of sound -- especially clever for what was then such a new technology. When he reverts to his natural voice in court, it's quite a powerful moment. Anybody know how this was handled in the silent version?

http://www.deliriumbooks.com/insider/?p=344