Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
The eating is a compulsion, a remnant of living ways, but they never feel full (they don't feel anything) so they keep eating. A PRZ will eat until it's stomach blows open and then still keep eating.
I agree with Rod, especially with this point, where I go back to our original Blogger. This has honestly been something that's bothered me:

Semantic argument aside (I am ignorant in terms of the terms), if they (The Walking/Living Dead/Zombies/ Whatever) have an unstoppable hunger for flesh/brains/whatever, how is it that they are able to spawn at all - At what point do they stop eating? This question doesn't apply to those who "got away" with a single bite - Of those that came out of a hoard, how is it that they weren't completely devoured?

That has always bugged me. You see zombies chowing down on completely ripped apart corpses, but at the same time you see growing hoards. If their brains aren't intelligent enough to consider reproduction (indeed, as we've seen, the whole CONCEPT of the PRZ is "Consumption" vs. "Reproduction;" the zombie being a pure CONSUMER), then how do the zombie hoards grow at all? Wouldn't they just keep CONSUMING? I mean, Romero goes out of his way (in Dawn of the Dead in particular) to draw the metaphor between the WALKIND DEAD CONSUMER and, well, the US Consumers (Mall, anyone?)... If they are massive brainless consuming machines, how is it that they don't just keep eating humans... How is it that zombies are created at all? How can they stop?

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Evil Puppy

In the Monster Island books the author has a zombie and we see what he's feeling about eating, there's a glow, an enticing lifeforce that calls out to the zombie. Dead meat doesn't have anywhere near the appeal of the live and doesn't keep the zombies as... fresh? Anyway, I'd always assumed that zombies ate until all the life left their victim and if that happened before the unfortunate soul was ripped to shreds they would become a zombie. Some hung on longer than others or had to deal with more zombies feasting on them. The bigger the horde, the less new zombies spring to unlife.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
Roshiq's vegetarian zombies are awesome! What if it was a plant pollen that turned you, and when you shot them in the head a cloud of this pollen would spray out?

Perhaps a meteor shower of millions of magnetic particles (traveling slow enough not to burn up in the atmosphere) could cause some strange fluctuations in the earth's natural electromagnetic field causing radio wave-like patterns that stimulate the brain stem of the dead. Or even a large extremely magnetic asteroid. And maybe it's not so much living flesh they crave, but oxygenated blood. Hmmmm, well that my up to the minute theory any way.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by milktoaste View Post
Perhaps a meteor shower of millions of magnetic particles (traveling slow enough not to burn up in the atmosphere) could cause some strange fluctuations in the earth's natural electromagnetic field causing radio wave-like patterns that stimulate the brain stem of the dead. Or even a large extremely magnetic asteroid. And maybe it's not so much living flesh they crave, but oxygenated blood. Hmmmm, well that my up to the minute theory any way.
I'm stealing that for HDC: Zombiescape

The Ferrets like it...
Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretchucker View Post
I'm stealing that for HDC: Zombiescape
Have your way with it:D
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Heaven for the climate

Zombie seems more like an umbrella term these days.