Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
Yes, Sybil stayed in my mind for a long time after I watched it. It was more horrible, because it was a true, if slightly elaborated. But these vile, evil and completely fucked up mothers do exist. Every day I work with people who have been abused and yes- women who do this to their cildren do exist. What makes it a more difficult pill to swallow is the fact that these things are done not only bu women, but to their own children which is the biggest taboo. I once nursed a 'real life sybil' who suffered things that we as a team found unbelievable to nurse. And this was in a middle class, well to do family-not backwoods scum of the earth.
Sometimes art immitates fact!
It never ceases to amaze me, the things people are capable of doing. The stories of child abuse I've heard make me sick to my stomach and haunt my sleep, so I admire your courage to work with people who have been abused.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Banned

Old 06-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
You're silly.;)
Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
Yes, Sybil stayed in my mind for a long time after I watched it. It was more horrible, because it was a true, if slightly elaborated.
I always thought that story was highly disputed though I've not read much on the real case.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
You're silly.;)
true

but that scene IS from a movie....although it's originally in english.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074156/
Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
true

but that scene IS from a movie....although it's originally in english.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074156/
Oh yes, I know. Just hope the person who started this thread didn't watch it.;)
Old 06-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
I always thought that story was highly disputed though I've not read much on the real case.
It was disputed and still is, there were arguments that the ideas were implanted as part of false memory syndrome, but split personality and 'flashbacks' are a very real part of the ways that those who deal with unimaginable horrors deal with it. The correct term for 'split personality' is multiple personality dissorder. I know people who have 'dissociated' for days at a time and found themselves 100's of miles from home and not known how they got there. We have regularly had to have police helicopters and dog handlers out to find these people. The things they are capable of as a result of the horrors they have experienced are truel horrible, grusome and very sad. The worst I have come across was a woman who actually carved the calf muscle from her legs while dissociating.
It is sad and beggars belief that often the people responsible for this amount of pain are not very often prosecuted.
The time that nursing these people stops making my heart ach is the time I will stop.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Scares Little Kids

Mainstream horror movies usually always stay above the belt.The adults are always adults who are capable of fighting back,which makes it fair game.If it shows ANYBODY who is too weak to defend themself or is totally helpless for whatever reason and is being horrifically tortured or abused as a result (simple murder doesn't bother me in any case),that is very sickening imo and I can't bare to watch.It makes me physically sick.I've seen helpless people being tortured in the most horrific ways imaginable and it haunts me.

Children have been killed and harmed before and I've seen sex abuse towards children in horror movies,although rare.Also,children aren't capable of fighting back,so it is not in any way fair game where we can safely shout at the screen "Fight back"!

I would also like to highlight the fact that I have seen a lot of stuff which involves something horrible and particularly grusome happen to a child on TV,cartoons (Grizzly tales for grusome kids namely),but they have all been really horrid,monstrous thugs or just really dispicable brats.

Last edited by Catonia06; 06-19-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Whip In My Valise

"Just repeat to yourself it's only a movie - only a movie - only a movie."
Old 06-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Scares Little Kids

My nan and grandad won't watch a movie that involves animals for two reasons,the first being that they are fanatical animal lovers and the second reason being that movies sometimes do it for real,meaning it's not acting.It is actual,real cruelty or a killing.
With humans,it's 100% acting,gauranteed,but in some cases with animals,it's done for real.