Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 AM
MINION OF GOZER

Shrooms (Paddy Breathnach, 2006)

You know, Shrooms has no right being any good at all. I mean, the entire premise read to me like a hippies bad day out.

First off, going in I wasn't entirely sure if this was going to a horror/comedy or not. The artwork led me to believe it wasn't to be take too seriously, and surely the plot allowed for jokes at the expense of Hippy's and drug taking?

So color me surprised when what was served up turned out to be a rather straight little affair of a dark stranger who may - or may not - be hiding in the woods. There is a good level of surprise, and menace, and in the end the drug taking is shown as an impediment to the senses (far too many modern films show drug taking as pretty cool, without ever showing a downside).

Not that it's a preaching film. On the contrary. Basically, we're very used to seeing films that may - or may not - take place in a dream state. This film substitutes a nice warm bed with Magic Mushrooms, and the remote location one must visit in order to find them.

It's bound to be rated 18, because of all the drugs, but in all honesty there's nothing over-the-top here. But in the end I thought it was quite clever and well done. The red herons aren't the usual ones, and they play well with horror conventions (the rednecks).
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Any film with a Story of a Murderous Christian Brother is ok by me - that bit reminded me a bit of A Podge and Rodge cautionary tale.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to La Chat Noire
I liked this movie overall. I thought the twist was a little predictable, but I still thought it was a fun watch. I'm a fan of anything that has a good looking Irish man.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Crave More Gore

I get shit for liking this movie, good to see some other people enjoy it.