Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 AM
For Vendetta

Apple workers in China forced to sign 'no suicide' pledge!

May 2, 2011, 08.34pm IST

Workers in China's Apple iPad and iPhone factories were forced to sign pledges that they would not attempt to kill themselves, an investigation has revealed.

At least 14 workers at Foxconn factories in China have killed themselves in the last 16 months as a result of horrendous working conditions.

Many more are believed to have either survived attempts or been stopped before trying at the Apple supplier's plants in Chengdu or Shenzen.

An investigation of the 500,000 workers by the Centre for Research on Multinational Companies and Students and Scholars Against Corporate Misbehaviour (Sacom) found appalling conditions in the factories.

They claimed that:

* Excessive overtime was rife, despite a legal limit of 36 hours a month. One payslip showed a worker did 98 hours of overtime in one month, the Observer reported.
* During peak periods of demand for the iPad, workers were made to take only one day off in 13.
* Badly performing workers were humiliated in front of colleagues.
* Workers are banned from talking and are made to stand up for their 12-hour shifts.

An investigation revealed that after a spate of suicides last year, managers at the at Foxconn factories ordered new workers to sign a 'no suicide' pledge.

Workers were made to promise that if they did, their families would only seek the legal minimum in damages, The Daily Mail reports. Some officials within the company even accused workers of committing suicide to secure large compensation payments for their families.

The 'anti-suicide pledge' was brought in after sociologists wrote an open letter to the media calling for an end to restrictive working practices.

But the investigation revealed many of the workers still lived in dismal conditions, with some only going home to see family once a year.

One worker told the newspaper: 'Sometimes my roommates cry when they arrive in the dormitory after a long day.'

She said they were made to work illegally long hours for a basic daily wage, as little as £5.20, and that workers were housed in dormitories of up to 24 people a room.

In Chengdu, working between 60 and 80 hours overtime a month was normal, with many breaching Apple's own code of conduct with the length of their shifts.

And the investigation found that employees claimed they were not allowed to speak to each other.

Demand for Apple iPhone and iPad products is so high that workers in China who assemble them are treated "inhumanely, like machines" to keep up output.

Leontien Aarnoudse, a Sacom official said the workers are asked to work overtime to meet increasing demands of the products.

"They work excessive overtime for a salary they can hardly live on and are inhumanely treated," said Aarnoudse.

"Conditions are harsh and they don't have a social life. Their life is just working in a factory and that is it," Aarnoudse added.

Apple's supplier code of conduct demands that employees are treated with respect and dignity, but its own audit reports suggest suppliers in China may not meet up to these standards.

The global high-tech product manufacturer made profits of $6billion in the first quarter of 2011 itself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-suicide.html
Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Whip In My Valise

Oh China!:rolleyes: How little things have changed since the days of Mao Tse Tung.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
I knew Apple was evil. Now if I could only convince my media teachers...
Old 05-04-2011, 12:56 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
I've always heard they work hard in China, but not to that degree.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 PM
From The Beyond

Who resurrected this without the missing posts?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
Who resurrected this without the missing posts?
What the--? Must have been something lost in the mindwipe.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
What the--? Must have been something lost in the mindwipe.
It's enough to drive you mad...

Last edited by Fearonsarms; 06-04-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: didnt work first time