Old 06-07-2018, 07:40 AM
Evil Dead

a beloved horror movie magazine

Is there anyone else out there who, like me, grew up reading Famous Monsters of Filmland?
Old 07-28-2018, 01:25 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
Is there anyone else out there who, like me, grew up reading Famous Monsters of Filmland?
Yes indeed! It all started with Issue #59 with that beautiful Basil Gogos painting of Jonathon Frid which took me to a new exciting world which almost 50 years later still intrigues me.
I have close to 100 issues with my earliest being #28 and last one is #189 when the death knoll was fast approaching. Still love them, but with age/sophistication, can see how juvenile it could be, with the awful puns and the tendency Warren had for reprints whenever he pissed off enough staff and had nothing else to put in. In 1975-77, they started getting up to a higher level of quality, but once issue #138 came out with R2D2 and the whole Star Wars/CLOSE ENCOUNTERS barrage, it lost its appeal. Also, was really into rock at the time and horror took backseat for awhile.
Re=garedless of any gripes, still LOVE this magazine for introducing me and who knows how many other to a passion. Have liked other magazines like FANGORIA, MIDNIGHT MARQUEE, MONSTER BASH, FILMFAX, but NOTHING has nor probably will create the excitement FM did for me at the time.
Also have the ten issue run of MONSTER WORLD.