Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
In fairness, wasn't he a child molester in the original Wes Craven script?
The way I always read it was that the parents of the town SAID he was, but there was no proof of it- and I always thought that was Freddy's motivation for his revenge- that he was unfairly labeled.

In the original movie he murdered children, but there's no evidence he was a child molester- just rumors.

Here's a quote from wiki on the subject of Freddy in the remake:

Quote:
Freddy appears in a 2010 remake of the original film,[13] with Jackie Earle Haley taking over the role in Robert Englund's stead.[14] In this film instead of a power plant worker and a child murderer, Krueger was the groundskeeper at Badham Preschool and a child molester (a recycled idea that was abandoned by director Craven himself while making the 1984 original).
And one more edit that vindicates Ferox, in re: the original SCRIPT, but not the filmed version:

Quote:
[Additionally, Craven's original script detailed Krueger as a child molester, which Craven said was the "worst thing" he could think of (this idea was later recycled for the character's background in the 2010 remake). The decision was made to instead make Krueger a child murderer in order to avoid being accused of exploiting the spate of highly publicized child molestation cases in California around the time A Nightmare on Elm Street went into production.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff

Last edited by neverending; 01-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I know Wiki isn't 100% accurate but from the Freddy Kruger page:

Additionally, Craven's original script detailed Krueger as a child molester, which Craven said was the "worst thing" he could think of (this idea was later recycled for the character's background in the 2010 remake). The decision was made to instead make Krueger a child murderer in order to avoid being accused of exploiting the spate of highly publicized child molestation cases in California around the time A Nightmare on Elm Street went into production.[23]

But here a bit from an interview with Englund which backs it up:

Robert Englund recalls: 'Wes wrote the most evil, corrupt thing he could think of. Originally, that meant Freddy was a child molester. Right while we were shooting the fist Nightmare, there was a huge scandal based around an area of single parent yuppies in California known as South Bay. Child molesters had descended on this unsupervised flotsam of seventies leftover Me-generation American children. On the spot we changed the script from child molester to child murderer, mainly so Wes wouldn't be accused of exploiting the South bay case.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL - your edit came up just as I posted :-)
Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Misanthrope

I always assumed he was a child molester.

At least the remake made the character dark again rather than the comical figure Freddy became. I hope we see some sequels.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
In fairness, wasn't he a child molester in the original Wes Craven script?
I don't know. I've never read the original script. But If it had been like that in the original movie, i wouldn't have liked it either so whether or not it was in the original script or not, it still ruins the character.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Horror Fan

Friends, I must clarify. I meant to type, "Return of the Living Dead 3." I realize this is akin to saying "Exorcist" when meaning to say "Exorcist 2."
Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
I don't know. I've never read the original script. But If it had been like that in the original movie, i wouldn't have liked it either so whether or not it was in the original script or not, it still ruins the character.
I don't really see how it ruined the character at all. A child killer is just as vile as a child molester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Friends, I must clarify. I meant to type, "Return of the Living Dead 3." I realize this is akin to saying "Exorcist" when meaning to say "Exorcist 2."
Return of the Living Dead 3 is great. The ones that followed weren't very good though.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Eater of Heads

Melancholia. (worst movie ever)
The Human Centipede 2 (not that I thought 1 was a masterpiece)
1408 (yes, for all its many fans I still think it's terrible)
The Ring 2 (American)
Dark Corners
Life is just a dream. If we're lucky a nightmare. Dreams fade away, nightmares stick to your brain like peanut butter to the roof of an unsuspecting mouth. Horror speaks to what makes us human. Peanut butter speaks to what makes us hungry.

www.lifeafterundeath.com
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I don't really see how it ruined the character at all. A child killer is just as vile as a child molester.

Return of the Living Dead 3 is great. The ones that followed weren't very good though.
Interesting thread proposition: what are some movies you hate that everyone else loves! :cool:
Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Interesting thread proposition: what are some movies you hate that everyone else loves! :cool:
http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58268
Old 01-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Love is like dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
Gotta defend Return Of The Living Dead and Maximum Overdrive.

I agree, ROTLD is one of the best zombie movies. So much fun!!

Maximum Overdrive is cheesy, but has some great scenes (soda machine, for example). I wouldn't put in a Top 100 Best list, but it's a light, entertaining film.
i agree with you on that, it would not make my 100 movies but if on tv i would sit through it and have a lough :D