Old 09-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
It took me a few Lovecraft stories to get into his work. His writing style demands one's full attention.
Exactly, that's why it takes me so long to get through his stories. You really have to picture what he says as he goes along and think about it to get the full effect. Some of his work uses a lot of details to that I sometimes have to reread. Not something that can be multi-tasked to whatsoever. So far I would say my favorite story is either The Dunwich Horror or Rats In The Walls.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Banned

fuck yeah full attention.i think its mainly just the super old school words he uses,though i dont find edgar allen poes work too confusing and that shits even older.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Currently Reading "Dexter In The Dark". Got about 100 pages left.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Evil is Better

Finally finished The Stand. Wow, i've heard a lot of things about this book but no one ever told me how boring it is.

The first part with the plague was so vivid and engrossing that i actually felt like i was getting sick but the second part which was just a lot of walking was so boring, i barely got through it.

I thought that it couldn't get any worse until i got to the third part. When i decided to read an apocalyptic tale of good vs. evil i wasn't expecting to have to read about committee meetings and census reports and social reform. I get that showing how a society would rebuild itself after an apocalypse might be interesting to some but given what this book is about, what it was building towards, it just seemed like a lot of filler bullshit.

The last part though where the battle actually happens was pretty good and i liked the ending.

Overall, this was not what i was expecting at all and it was way over hyped and overrated. It's not a bad book but not a great one either and i wouldn't call it King's best work either.

Anyway now i'm reading Guardian by John Saul.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Finally finished The Stand. Wow, i've heard a lot of things about this book but no one ever told me how boring it is.

The first part with the plague was so vivid and engrossing that i actually felt like i was getting sick but the second part which was just a lot of walking was so boring, i barely got through it.

I thought that it couldn't get any worse until i got to the third part. When i decided to read an apocalyptic tale of good vs. evil i wasn't expecting to have to read about committee meetings and census reports and social reform. I get that showing how a society would rebuild itself after an apocalypse might be interesting to some but given what this book is about, what it was building towards, it just seemed like a lot of filler bullshit.

The last part though where the battle actually happens was pretty good and i liked the ending.

Overall, this was not what i was expecting at all and it was way over hyped and overrated. It's not a bad book but not a great one either and i wouldn't call it King's best work either.

Not my favorite of his either but for a different reason than yours, I actually didn't think it was boring at all, in fact it was really good but I hate Deus Ex Machina. You build up this great story and then end it with "God saved the day. The End".
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post

weird, you thought it was average and then liked the ending :confused: i thought that was the most shitest part of all.
i read that book like 10 years ago and thought it was awsome,but all the good books iv read since then,i think i could say now that it was long and boring.its actually cool to hear someone say it sucked coz,it almost seemed like ya had to say it was good for fear of being frowned upon if you said it was bad for awhile there
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
Not my favorite of his either but for a different reason than yours, I actually didn't think it was boring at all, in fact it was really good but I hate Deus Ex Machina. You build up this great story and then end it with "God saved the day. The End".
See i didn't think that it was built up all that well. That's why i liked the ending. Not the actual ending i should say, but the last part of the book where they finally decide to go after Flagg. That's what i liked. That part was actually interesting and yeah i'll agree with you that everything they did seemed kinda pointless especially Stu even going with them in the first place but compared to the rest of the book it was actually interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of gore View Post
weird, you thought it was average and then liked the ending :confused: i thought that was the most shitest part of all.
i read that book like 10 years ago and thought it was awsome,but all the good books iv read since then,i think i could say now that it was long and boring.its actually cool to hear someone say it sucked coz,it almost seemed like ya had to say it was good for fear of being frowned upon if you said it was bad for awhile there
I know what you mean. Everyones always saying how great that book is and i just don't see it so it's gotta be like you said.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 AM
No, fuck YOU

Stephen King "Atlantis".
Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 AM
Cranky

Cody Goodfellow's "All Monster Action."

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Little Boo

The Rising by Brian Keene is a good one, Trip Ellington's Zombie University, and The Walking Dead by Kirkman, of course.