Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Coverup (2008)

>>: B

The Stone Tape (1972)

Combining aspects of science and superstition was a frequent & fantastic theme in Nigel 'Quatermass' Kneale's works and followed by that, his 1972 BBC Telefilm The Stone Tape concerns a team of scientists who move into their new research facility, a renovated Victorian mansion that has a reputation for being haunted. Especially, one particular big empty room that they wanted to make their computer room turned out spooky! Investigating & sensing something wrong in the place; they gradually learn that the haunting is a recording of a past event stored by the stone in that room. Believing that this may be the key to the development of a new recording medium, they throw all their expertise and high-tech equipment into learning how the stone tape preserves its recording. However, their investigations serve only to unleash a darker, more malevolent force.

Directed by Peter Sasdy (Taste the Blood of Dracula & Hands of the Ripper) with a good cast of actors, this is somewhat a thinking person's horror film, very low on body count with zero gore and not so much concentrated on jump scares but still effectively delivers an intelligent ghost story. Even, since its broadcast on BBC Two as a Christmas ghost story in 1972, the hypothesis of residual haunting - that ghosts are recordings of past events made by the natural environment - has come to be known as the "Stone Tape Theory" by para psychological researchers (Info source: Wikipedia).

But sadly, this critically acclaimed & so much significant gem of magnificent 70s Horror somehow didn't get much attention from the genre fans. Most probably for its plot structure & unavailability of DVDs, I guess.

Like a M.R. James story, this fascinating tale of supernatural strangely grows spookier minute by minute, particularly when it comes close to its chilling final revelations.

>>: A-

The Task (2011)

>>: C

Last edited by roshiq; 11-14-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Evil Dead

"Catlow" (1971)
-Yul Brynner, Richard Crenna, Leonard Nimoy

Plot :IMDB

Marshall Cowan and the mercenary Miller are both separately hunting the outlaw Catlow. During the Civil War both Cowan and the always smiling Catlow were comrades. Catlow helps Cowan, when he is wounded in the right leg by an arrow from the Apaches, despite Cowan hunting him. Catlow escapes with help of his gang. Catlow then robes a Mexican gold shipment, worth $ 2,000,000. Catlow flies with the stolen gold through the dangerous territory of the Apaches who besides of Miller, Cowan and the Mexican cavalry, are hunting for him and his gang of outlaws.

Phantom's Review: While it's kind of strange to see Yul Brynner in a western NOT wearing his traditional black hat and outfit, this is still a fun,light hearted film. Plenty of good western action and stunts. A good story (based on a Louis L'Amour novel) and some fine acting. It's a treat to see Nimoy as the bad ass bounty hunter looking for Brynner's outlaw. Brynner had a great charm and it really shows in this film. Not a classic, but highly entertaining.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (2009) 9/10

This is probably the most insane documentary I have ever seen. The people featured in this film are like nothing I had seen before. I've seen hillbillies, rednecks, and white trash before but nothing like this. I actually had to double check and make sure this wasn't a mockumentary because of the outrageous family.

I give this movie a 9/10 just because it was so damn entertaining. Really there isn't much point to the movie but it kept me mesmerized.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Yup The Stone Tapes is a great film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistinas666 View Post
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (2009) 9/10
Great Documentry. You should check out Dancing Outlaw 1+2 as well. Not half as good but its interesting to see the deterioration of Jesco White.

I loved the scene with Hank III singing 'Punch Fight Fuck' with JW dancing on the table.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Love is like dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
The Coverup (2008)

The Stone Tape (1972)

Combining aspects of science and superstition was a frequent & fantastic theme in Nigel 'Quatermass' Kneale's works and followed by that, his 1972 BBC Telefilm The Stone Tape concerns a team of scientists who move into their new research facility, a renovated Victorian mansion that has a reputation for being haunted. Especially, one particular big empty room that they wanted to make their computer room turned out spooky! Investigating & sensing something wrong in the place; they gradually learn that the haunting is a recording of a past event stored by the stone in that room. Believing that this may be the key to the development of a new recording medium, they throw all their expertise and high-tech equipment into learning how the stone tape preserves its recording. However, their investigations serve only to unleash a darker, more malevolent force.

Directed by Peter Sasdy (Taste the Blood of Dracula & Hands of the Ripper) with a good cast of actors, this is somewhat a thinking person's horror film, very low on body count with zero gore and not so much concentrated on jump scares but still effectively delivers an intelligent ghost story. Even, since its broadcast on BBC Two as a Christmas ghost story in 1972, the hypothesis of residual haunting - that ghosts are recordings of past events made by the natural environment - has come to be known as the "Stone Tape Theory" by para psychological researchers (Info source: Wikipedia).

But sadly, this critically acclaimed & so much significant gem of magnificent 70s Horror somehow didn't get much attention from the genre fans. Most probably for its plot structure & unavailability of DVDs, I guess.

Like a M.R. James story, this fascinating tale of supernatural strangely grows spookier minute by minute, particularly when it comes close to its chilling final revelations.

The Task (2011)

>>: C
i have been avoiding the task for ages, was going to watch it the other day cus run out of movies to watch, by the looks of things u dint think much to it.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezuki View Post
i have been avoiding the task for ages, was going to watch it the other day cus run out of movies to watch, by the looks of things u dint think much to it.
Not too bad, there are few interesting set pieces but overall, it's one of those time wasters when you got nothing better left to see.

The Dead (2011)

An American military engineer washes up on the coast of west Africa after his evacuation flight crashes. as the sole survivor he attempts to reach a northern military air field to re-attempt his escape, and runs into a soldier of the African military who is trying to find his son during a zombie-outbreak.

This is a pretty Good zombie-road movie set against a beautiful African landscape which is a nice change from all those abandoned busy city streets & houses of any recent zombie films. With a plain & simple story of survival & hopelessness, it comes with a small but good cast of actors and some great cinematography. Somewhat like the film itself, you'll find slow moving zombies after quite a long time in this film that comes with a decent amount of gore & sfx works. Inspired by Romero's classic "...of the Dead" masterpieces, the directors really did a quite convincing job overall, IMO.

Check it out, asap.

The Devil's Rock
(2011)

Though the ending was somewhat flat but this is a well made, nice WW2-occult-horror flick from New Zealand.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Misanthrope

Yeah I thought The Dead was really good. Need to watch it again I started it to late at night and was struggling to stay awake. It's up there in my top films of the year. I'm really surprised there hasn't been more talk of it. The film seems to have slipped under everyone's radar.

Agree with you about ending of The Devil's Rock really flat and throw away defeating what they had built up.

---------------------

Didn't think this was as bad as a lot of people are making out. A bit slick and hollow but it was pretty entertaining. It really lacked the dark tone of Oliver Stone's script for the original. The finale was pretty underwhelming and could've been better. This would've been a better watch at the theatre I think. Still there's some cool moments and I thought the first quarter of the flick was really well done.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Evil Dead

The Manitou

I really enjoyed this. Total 70s cheesy space effects made it even better.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Going to give The Devil's Rock a go. I cannot resist the mixture of the occult and Nazis.

I agree with you on Conan for he most part an dyup the start of the film witt Kid Konan was excellent.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 AM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Yeah I thought The Dead was really good. Need to watch it again I started it to late at night and was struggling to stay awake. It's up there in my top films of the year. I'm really surprised there hasn't been more talk of it. The film seems to have slipped under everyone's radar.

Agree with you about ending of The Devil's Rock really flat and throw away defeating what they had built up.

---------------------
It didn't slip under everyone's radar at all-It was premiered at London's horrorfest 2010 and I mentioned a while back that I was dying to see (as did a couple of other people) it as soon as the dvd came out.

Last edited by Fearonsarms; 11-16-2011 at 02:45 AM. Reason: got rid of the conan bit