Old 10-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilnEdee
Way off topic.can someone send me a PM and tell me how to get my own avatar into here, would be much appreciated..now back to the show.......
Old 10-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilnEdee View Post
Way off topic.can someone send me a PM and tell me how to get my own avatar into here, would be much appreciated..now back to the show.......
No.

Because I dont know how.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:25 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
I don't watch films that come from video games, but comparing it to The Crucible has piqued my interest.

Might catch it on HBO or something.
Watch it, but not for that reason.

Terrible comparison...I thought it was a great movie and I recomend it, but not like Crucible in the least. To go into why he might have said that would entail spoilers, so I'll leave it there.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:46 PM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

i loved it!!!! especially the use of the metal gear solid them as the womans ring tone....and it used all the music from the games perfectly

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Hope I'm doing this right. The forum has gotten intimidating and swanky in my absence. It was plenty swanky before, but this is really something. Swanky indeed. Excellent monsters. Great atmosphere. The little girl's acting was formidable. Radha Mitchell sort of rubs me the wrong way, however and yes, the ending could have used a bit of clarity. It's head and shoulders above any videogame based movie I've ever seen. There's no reason to avoid videogame based movies other than to avoid bad movies. If a movie's good, I don't care if it's based on a Chef Boyardee product.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:03 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Hope I'm doing this right. The forum has gotten intimidating and swanky in my absence. It was plenty swanky before, but this is really something. Swanky indeed. Excellent monsters. Great atmosphere. The little girl's acting was formidable. Radha Mitchell sort of rubs me the wrong way, however and yes, the ending could have used a bit of clarity. It's head and shoulders above any videogame based movie I've ever seen. There's no reason to avoid videogame based movies other than to avoid bad movies. If a movie's good, I don't care if it's based on a Chef Boyardee product.
Nice :) very well spoken.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Evil Dead

I've never played the game on which it was based, but I thought Silent Hill was worth a rental. It delivered creepy atmosphere and interesting (but terribly overdone) CGI effects. It held my attention, but I was disappointed to find it not even mildly scary.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:50 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

what about the creepy dude in the toilet tho? he wigged me out

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 10-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Evil Dead

Sure, it was not scary, but what it lacked in scares it more than made up with its creepy atmosphere. Very good, atmospheric movie.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Hellraiser

hmmm i agree things have changed around here a bit since i was last on...anyway to my point..ladies and gentlemen...the explanation of silent hill (since apparently most never played the games)..yes, there are htree seperate worlds in SH (and beyond as the games attest)
world one is just here and now..normal..pleasent even.
world two is foggy silent hill where it snows (yes snow not ashes, damned creative liberties) in the summer and monsters roam about randomly...this is the SH that people see when they
A) are called there by Alessa
B) harbor guily in thier hearts (either knowingly or unknowingly)
C) they get involved with someone who is being called/has guilt.
Cybil is a tough case..some say she just got pulled along with Harry and Cheryl (Rose and Sharron), while others claim that the first game presents proof of her being involved with the drug ring in SH (which the movie completely ignored) and she is drwan in because of her guilt at behaving unbecomingly as a police officer..im inclind to say she just got hauled along.
World 3 is dark silent hill..this is the world that Alessa created as an outlet for her hate and pain because her MOTHER burned her alive to help bring forth the birth of a God (i am straying out of the movie and into the game here,as the movie makes her an outcast and she was revered and feared in the games) by making her hate. thats what that whole darkened the heart of an innocent line is about...

they did NOT die in the crash, they are very much alive, they are just trapped by Alessa in her world Sharron is the good part that was left of Alessa and while the movie offers some "closure" it is inncorrect in terms of sequals seeing as how in the game harry never found his daughter..he found anouther infant (i.e. another incarnation of Alessa) and in SH3 you find a painting titled 'St.Alessa mother of god,child of god" basicly saying she is both the one who births god and yet one of gods children and she may even be the god herself..hence three versions of herself, burned, innocent child,evil child...i assume thats what they were trying to get that across by using the three different versions of her in the movie.

when they leave and stay in the fog its simply because thats what Alessa wants...even Lisa Garland (the nurse) is there because Alessa wants her there.
however..it was a good movie and very limited on the GC with the exception of the barbed wire scene and the bugs..even the burning babies (hmm now why would alessa make monsters like that? ;D) were live actors with sfx makeup and a hint of CG... wonderful in these days of CG every single thing..glad to see that real SFX make-up artists still exist

the chief complaint i hear from gamers is that pyramid head is in the movie..he really dosen't belong seeing as how he is specific to one character in SH2. they screwed up the whole cult thing but hey, its confusing to people who have played the games..i had to play it a few times before i got it (and alot of plot analasys :P)...i can't help but hear monty python when they are shouting 'burn her! burn the witch!" ("build a bridge out of 'er!" hehehe) despite all the differences, it is a fine game adaptation, IMHO.

i hope that helps clear up a bit of confustion about it and i recomend silentpyramids plot analisys for those who want the psychological theories used by the game writers..its truely engrossing reading..i believe his work is still available on Ign.com.

Have a great day!