Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Evil Dead

The Burrowers

This was a good movie.
I haven't really seen many people talking about it around here, but I've been seeing buzz rolling on it in other places. It's definitely deserved!

It's a slow burn of a movie, don't expect anything action packed, but that isn't a bad thing. It's basically a tale set in the old west about a family that is killed by a pack of creatures. Family/friends come upon the house and find that not all of the bodies are their, so they assume Indians took the women captive and a search party is formed. From then out it's the slow unveil that it's definitely not Indians who killed them.

The best part about the movie is the cinematography and the fact that they treat it like a movie in the old west that happens to have some creatures, not the other way around and it works really good.

Highly recommend it.

-D
Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Token Black Guy

Sounds like Tremors
Old 04-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Evil Dead

It's like Tremors in the same way Bela Lugosi's Dracula is like Coppolla's Dracula.

By that I mean nothing alike.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Saw it few days ago..and disappointed! Started with a good expectation but I don't like this kinda creature feature where they liked to kept them almost hidden and audience can only get to finally see them almost at the end. Moreover, those were quite peculiar looking ugly monsters with a bad shape:D ! Anyway, the premise was nice and the cast was good though.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Token Black Guy

I see it has Clancy Brown in it... I'll have to check this out, Ilove monster flicks.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Banned

I too appreciate a good monster flick....will watch for it
Old 05-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Zydrate Anatomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Saw it few days ago..and disappointed! Started with a good expectation but I don't like this kinda creature feature where they liked to kept them almost hidden and audience can only get to finally see them almost at the end. Moreover, those were quite peculiar looking ugly monsters with a bad shape:D ! Anyway, the premise was nice and the cast was good though.
Just saw it yesterday, also very disappointed! Had a great premise and I like the idea of an 1800's American Midwest setting, but it just got lame and boring. Such a shame! :(
Old 05-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Evil Dead

Surprised at the disappointment, to be honest. I watch a LOT of horror movies. A lot of shit, a lot of great....and I definitely marked this one at above average.

It's a slow burn, but I certainly wouldn't call it "boring". In my opinion, anyway.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Evil Dead

Yeah, it's brand new. Should be able to find it anywhere, really. Netflix definitely has it and I haven't checked, but XBL might, too.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

I just watched it. It's really cool, but I can see plenty of people not digging it. The pacing is a bit off. I don't mind a slow movie, but this one meanders here and there and I wish it were tightened up a bit.

The premise is original, the monster is original (and the way it eats is fantastic), the story is a bit clunky, but there are so many good ideas at work that I don't mind a clunk here or there.

There is an element to the film - and this is not a spoiler - that involves language barriers and things being lost in translation. The audience gets subtitles, so we know what's going on but the characters are often quite confused, which adds to the tension.

The emphasis on manliness and tough characters doing the right thing feels not unlike a story Hawkes or Carpenter would tell.

Good stuff. I'm guessing I'll enjoy it even more on repeat viewings.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon

Last edited by Roderick Usher; 05-06-2009 at 08:16 AM.