Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-25-2004, 08:19 PM
The Priestless Prostitute

Send a message via AIM to FairyKorpes Send a message via Yahoo to FairyKorpes
Quote:
Originally posted by The STE
I think it's visually inferior to The Ring, direction and cinematography-wise, but the story is better (yes, they are different), and the video and Sadako are better
That's what i've heard. To be honest i didn't like the ring, at all. This one sounds kick ass, but anything is better then The Ringaroundmyasshole.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:28 PM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
I think the problem with The Ring was that they knew the story for Ringu wouldn't translate very well, and when they tried to change the story to accomodate, they put in too much plot. Ringu has a lot less plot, which makes for a tighter story. The other problem was that Aiden was too in the know about things. And the last scene with Sadako was done WAY better in Ringu.

On the other hand, The Ring had a much better look. The washed-out blue-grey added a bleak feeling to the movie, and the direction was a lot better.

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE
Old 11-25-2004, 08:31 PM
The Priestless Prostitute

Send a message via AIM to FairyKorpes Send a message via Yahoo to FairyKorpes
Ya for sure, the look of the dead chick and her coming out of the well. It was the best part imo. But i can't wait to see to, so i know wtf everyone is talking about.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:34 PM
The Emperor of America

well, the video and Sadako look great in Ringu, too. The two are pretty even on that front

===

Old 11-26-2004, 02:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by The STE
So, in the long term, do you think the impact the movies had on their respective countries' movie industry will have been positive or negative?
sorry .. i had gone to bed ...(no holiday here)

In Japan there has been a positive impact for sure ..
They are really taken to horror now and with this new interest from the US they will be taking this thing as far as they can.

I know not everything is great, and there are a lot of 'samey' movies ... but i look at horror - in general - like this :

The beauty of a digital camera is that you are more apt to take hundreds of pictures. 5 or 10 will turn out to be great.
Plus you learn a lot as you go.

in the horror film industry if hardly any horrors are being made then the percentage of good ones will be low. If a lot are being made there will be a number of turds but a higher percentage of good films. Plus filmmakers will branch out and explore new ideas because even they know they cant keep producing the same junk over and over .. it will cease to be profitable.

back to the question .. in north america ... the most prolific horror makers .. well things are usually pretty stagnant. It isnt a great culture for film. Everything had been done to death and there just dont seem to be any new ideas, or anyone willing to risk filming them. I dont need to give examples .. its glaringly apparent.
Not to mention we are taking Japan as a major influence now.

That is the NA culture of business. No risks. Maybe because the economy hasnt been so great lately. Actually that is probably the largest cultural force in american film .. no one can afford the risk.

so i think in some countries the impact has been positive.
Especially the countries with room left to grow in the industry.

In america film is faltering ... its become a big fat old monster that has taken to eating itself because it is too lazy ro unable to chase anything new to consume.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:44 AM
The Emperor of America

So, both movies' impact has been positive, IYO?

speaking of digital cameras, it seems that 28 Days Later has started a new trend (in the states at least), at least a visual trend, of using digital video cameras. The most recent example is Open Water, which was apparently very good. Do you think this will be a new trend or just a quick...experiment isn't the right word but something along those lines

===

Old 11-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Banned

wasnt lucas using hi-def digital as well ? especially created for him ?

If it's cheaper to do and can look as good - you're damn right it will be a new trend .. It will be a new standard.

Celluloid will be replaced some day before long.

I dont know what the process is .. are the films converted to celluliod for projection at the theatres ?

either way .. if there is a cheaper method that has been developed to rival film then it will be done.
Its probably handier for post production too as I imagine there is more flexibility for mixing and effects ?
(i dont know because i'm not a filmmaker - i'm just guessing)

at any rate i like the idea if the resulting medium is smaller and hardier and there is no loss to the quality.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:11 AM
The Emperor of America

well, a lot of people are using digital instead of film (there was even a little featurette on the Once Upon a Time in Mexico DVD where the director talks about how digital is better than film), but I was more referring to using the digital video cameras where it looks cheaper. 28 Days Later didn't exactly look cinematic, but it looked good, the homemade look helped the feel of the movie. I think it'll be a trend, but mostly for low budget movies.

===

Old 11-26-2004, 07:22 AM
Banned

like i said, if they can make it better for cheaper - absolutely it'll be a trend.
it'll still take good filmmmaking to make it look good though ...

sadly, i didnt even realize 28 days later was digital .. i was too into the film to notice !
Old 11-26-2004, 01:14 PM
The Emperor of America

watch a movie done with film and watch 28 Days Later after, the difference is really noticable

===